Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
301 - 320 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Canada rolls China 109-79. They're into the Semis on Saturday, opponent TBD.

Trae: 4 mins, 2 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is almost the most ideal situation. Greece and Turkey would have been the two teams I thought would be in the finals.

·
Comrade Fox
2,071 Posts
That'll be a fun one: Greek–Turkish relations - Wikipedia

Props to Uruguay for being more competitive than China was too, something I would not have guessed.
Cyprus staring into the camera like they're in The Office

That Czech roster is a trip. Their best player is in the NBA. Their (presumably) worst plays for some juco in Arizona.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The Czechs bounce Canada 103-101 in OT. Great look for Canada to send it to double OT but it rimed out, after the czechs made a ridiculous bank to take the lead late. That was apparently after a furious rally by Canada down 10 with less than a minute left to force OT in the first place.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Pretty shocking loss for Canada even without its other players not participating. Seriously, the Czech roster is Satoransky, Vesely, Schilb and then........(?)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Absolute scenes the way Canada cut the 10-point lead down to tie it and force OT, but they let that slip away. The Czechs size inside with their 7-footers Vesely and Balvin, who had the game of his life with 15 points and 19 rebounds and 5 blocks absolutely killed the undersized Canadians. Those two have been high-level European players for a while. Schlib, a 37 year old originally from Illinois, also was unreal dropping 31 on 11/19, including 7-12 from three.

I think Canada's roster construction in part did them in. Dwight Powell and Trey Lyles as your tallest guys, where rim protection isn't a forte, and defense isn't Lyles' forte hurt them a bit, as teams could get baskets under the hoop on them all tournament. Also, the lack of shooting, only shooting 33% for the tourney with Wiggins and Alexander-Walker the only reliable shooters. It felt like they were pushing on transition game and athleticism to wear teams down, and that only takes you so far, until you need to make shots because the other team is getting hot, and just manhandles you on the glass.

Having 8 NBA players and losing to a team that had one NBA player, and only one other who even played a game in the league though, that's a bad look. Don't really care that FIBA rules and style are different...if Canada wants to stop being considered a joke in basketball they have to win these games. They really need to show up for the 2023 World Cup and try and qualify directly through the Olympics that way, because if they miss 2024 with the talent they have and the talent in the pipeline? Big yikes.

I feel bad for TBH. That was his only shot at something like the Olympics which just would have been really cool. Maybe he gets called into secondary tournaments like the FIBA AmeriCup rosters in the future, but even if he wasn't going to play, just seeing an opportunity like that slip away sucks.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Just to put a bow on it: The Czechs beat Greece 97-72 to qualify for the Olympics. Obviously was rooting for Canada/Trae, but good for Czechia. First Olympic qualification in 7 attempts since the Velvet Divorce (Czechoslovakia hadn't qualified since 1980). Not a nation with a ton of basketball success (was 6th in the last World Championships, which was its first WC appearance as a nation...Czechoslovakia last participated in 1982). A big accomplishment for them.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ben Crenca was on All Elite Wrestling Dark tonight. All Elite Wrestling is basically the new WCW to WWE these days. (Shout out to my fellow Wolf Pac fans) They've got a TV show on TNT, but these YouTube shows are kind of like their syndicated TV shows on weekends which had a bunch of 3-5 minute matches.

Crenca got the "already in the ring" treatment, and a few moves, but he was in there to lose. Still, you can say you wrestled for a big time wrestling promotion and that's cool. The video should go right to his match, but if not it's at the 39:39 mark.

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Ben Crenca was on All Elite Wrestling Dark tonight. All Elite Wrestling is basically the new WCW to WWE these days. (Shout out to my fellow Wolf Pac fans) They've got a TV show on TNT, but these YouTube shows are kind of like their syndicated TV shows on weekends which had a bunch of 3-5 minute matches.

Crenca got the "already in the ring" treatment, and a few moves, but he was in there to lose. Still, you can say you wrestled for a big time wrestling promotion and that's cool. The video should go right to his match, but if not it's at the 39:39 mark.

If he goes to ROH, since they run many shows in UMBC’s CEIA arena, he has the perfect in for a heel role.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
TBH has signed with Breogan in the Spanish league. Just promoted this season
Very cool. It looks like Breogan yo-yoed as they got back to the top division in 18-19 but got relegated and now are back up. They've spent the last decade mostly in the second division, so looks like TBH is going to be asked to have a key role in helping them stay up. I just think this guy was playing in Finland a year or so ago...not exactly a basketball hotbed or big league. Now, he's in one of the best leagues in Europe. If he shows himself well...he's going to be very well set up the rest of his career I'd imagine.

Also, looks like Peyton Henson has a new team, going to Belgium:

301 - 320 of 323 Posts