Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
361 - 380 of 384 Posts

· Premium Member
34,712 Posts
Looks like Ryan Davis left his Dutch team (no reason I can see given, other than one tweet I saw mentioned it was at his request) despite putting up decent numbers. But looks like he'll be in Canada this summer anyway.

What a game changer Davis would have been this season.

Still very surprised he didn't either transfer to a BCS school or return to UVM and avg 24ppg and have another POY season, finish career around 1800pts. Pretty confident he'd have more options than that Dutch league and the Canadian Summer league if so. Not to mention a year of grad studies for free.

Reactions: VCat_2015

· Registered
5,157 Posts
Still very surprised he didn't either transfer to a BCS school or return to UVM and avg 24ppg and have another POY season, finish career around 1800pts. Pretty confident he'd have more options than that Dutch league and the Canadian Summer league if so. Not to mention a year of grad studies for free.
Maybe. He'd also be a year older. He's also a guy who has had injury issues. If he transferred, he may have had issues playing consistently against higher level competition/not seen the proper minutes to showcase himself. It's a risk. Based on his stats (played in 8 games) it looked like he was playing well, or at least the level of competition was about right (was averaging like 12 ppg, shooting well from long-range). My guess would be that the Canadian League might just be a stopover because he's not active right now. Unless he's just totally down on Europe as a continent, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back there in a different situation in the fall.

· Registered
236 Posts
Maybe. He'd also be a year older. He's also a guy who has had injury issues. If he transferred, he may have had issues playing consistently against higher level competition/not seen the proper minutes to showcase himself. It's a risk. Based on his stats (played in 8 games) it looked like he was playing well, or at least the level of competition was about right (was averaging like 12 ppg, shooting well from long-range). My guess would be that the Canadian League might just be a stopover because he's not active right now. Unless he's just totally down on Europe as a continent, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back there in a different situation in the fall.
Playing the what if game is a dubious game, but it's the game we play here.

I agree: The injury thing is a key issue. You want to maximize your small window. Period.

What BCS team did you (or anyone) see him having a role at? Duke? Carolina? Gonzaga? Depaul? It's something I wondered about last year. I'm guessing that a lot of BCS teams might have been less than excited by his perceived lack of athleticism. I wonder who and how many courters he had. I'm sure he had more than a few, but they might not have been completely sold. What if he does the fancy year and is buried on the bench?

Worth noting: When Cremo went to 'Nova, it did and it didn't work out. He seemed to have an exellent experiene, but he had a limited role.

As far as the free grad year, it's great on paper. However, if you're not inspired, it could be wasted. He might've been tired of the classroom and wanted to take his shot. I'm sure that agents told him he was a commodity, which he is.

I think he'll have a nice pro career. He's too good a player and scorer.

Obviously, it would have been great to have him and Powell back for another year.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Looks like Ryan Davis left his Dutch team (no reason I can see given, other than one tweet I saw mentioned it was at his request) despite putting up decent numbers. But looks like he'll be in Canada this summer anyway.

European basketball can be a tough go. Homesickness, injuries, and differences in healing/training methods, to even the idea of knowing your team can cut you loose at any time as an import player even with decent numbers because they only have a finite amount of spots, and expect the imports to be among their best players. I don't know what it might have been with Davis, but if it wasn't working out for him, it wasn't working out for him. After the holidays a lot of European rosters have a lot of changeovers.

Also, that league is not the CEBL (the summer league you are referencing). It is NBL, which is a league that starts later this month. It is a 4-team league and is on par with the TBL, the US league that had the Albany Patroons which Will Brown coached. So, you might recognize a few names from the past in college hoops, but it's not the highest level of play, professionally speaking.

And as for Davis returning to college. Well, he was very banged up at the end of the year. Others have pointed out, where exactly was he going to go and contribute, meaningfully. Also, a real question, these guys are sometimes asked to take physicals before another school, especially a big school when looking at a player with injury concerns...in April/May would he have passed them?? It's a legit question to ask. I really don't think people get how patched up he was by the end of the season last year.

And, consider some guys just you know, might be done with college? Some guys don't really give a shit about grad degrees right now (of which UVM has shitty grad programs for one, and two, most of these guys never actually get the degree, just take a few classes to claim student status)...or here's the other thing...you want guys to stay, where is their NIL package? Where is the Green and Gold Collective? In this day and age, you cannot and should not expect players who have done their 4 years to UVM to stick around because of a special rule, or if they have an extra year regardless, out of the goodness of their hearts.

I'll be so glad when this Covid extra year stuff is done because finally, some people will be at peace that players do their time and move on.

· Registered
5,157 Posts
Also, that league is not the CEBL (the summer league you are referencing). It is NBL, which is a league that starts later this month. It is a 4-team league and is on par with the TBL, the US league that had the Albany Patroons which Will Brown coached. So, you might recognize a few names from the past in college hoops, but it's not the highest level of play, professionally speaking.
My mistake. All Canadian basketball leagues look alike to me. But you're right, this league is smaller, runs from January-May, and does not look as competitive. Maybe he could swing right from this one to the CEBL (which I think starts around Memorial Day)? Either way, at least keeps him on the court.

· Premium Member
34,712 Posts
RE: Davis & Injuries. Totally supports & reinforces the idea of pursuing free graduate studies.

Education lasts for an entire lifetime and can never being taken away from someone, unlike basketball.

· Registered
962 Posts
Anthony Lamb last night vs Hawks: 17 points, 7 boards 4 assists in 33 minutes. Tied his season highs in both rebounds and points and chipped in the third highest points for GSW. When needed Kerr clearly has full confidence in Lamb finding offense. He is not just there to provide his high-IQ defense and off-ball positioning. He is also there because the Warriors believe in his shot and offensive toolkit.

With Klay now appearing solidly back to full health Lamb his settling into great chemistry with him just like he found with Steph. It is so nice to see someone as humble and selfless as Anthony flourish on a champion NBA team.

· Registered
3,260 Posts
re: "UVM has shitty grad programs for one, and two, most of these guys never actually get the degree"

FYI, Dingba and Shungu both earned grad degrees (MPA); I think Everett Duncan did too

Dingba currently uses his degree in his work with AALV; he is a true asset to Burlington.

just an FYI
Yes and good for them. Other UVM men's basketball players who were on grad coursework (of which there have been quite a few of late), did not. Those two are the exception in recent history, but also on average, the NCAA sees less than 50% of these grad transfers actually getting a full degree.

Stef Smith left for St. John's because he wanted to try and higher level, but also, UVM didn't have the graduate degree program he wanted. He did complete his studies at St. John's by the way. Other athletics programs at UVM have seen athletes who have a genuine interest in completing their grad studies leave because the programs they want are not available, and some find it challenging in the transfer portal because they cannot attract interest in their graduate programs. I'm just telling you, that's real. It maybe hasn't hit men's basketball, but it's an issue for some sports on campus.

· Registered
236 Posts
re: "UVM has shitty grad programs for one, and two, most of these guys never actually get the degree"

FYI, Dingba and Shungu both earned grad degrees (MPA); I think Everett Duncan did too

Dingba currently uses his degree in his work with AALV; he is a true asset to Burlington.

just an FYI
Pretty sure Stef Smith got a grad degree from St. John's....UVM has plenty of good grad programs.

· Registered
67 Posts
Anthony Lamb last night vs Hawks: 17 points, 7 boards 4 assists in 33 minutes. Tied his season highs in both rebounds and points and chipped in the third highest points for GSW. When needed Kerr clearly has full confidence in Lamb finding offense. He is not just there to provide his high-IQ defense and off-ball positioning. He is also there because the Warriors believe in his shot and offensive toolkit.

With Klay now appearing solidly back to full health Lamb his settling into great chemistry with him just like he found with Steph. It is so nice to see someone as humble and selfless as Anthony flourish on a champion NBA team.
Lamb has now been named in multiple sexual assaults. Just for the sake of trying to not make the rest of the world hate our program any more, please stop. I get he hasn’t been officially charged, but maybe ease up on the D riding. No one wants to hear it. Post his stats if it blows your hair back, but humble and selfless? Dude, come on….

· Registered
3,260 Posts
"UVM has plenty of good grad programs."

Yes. In today's world, heat sadly gets more attention than light...
Okay, I probably worded that poorly, and should have added "options for a larger array of students." Rubenstein, MPA and CDAE? That's the bread and butter where they can attract general students and that's great...but the options after that...it is limiting and not conducive to student-athlete recruitment. Most people don't want to do environmental science-type stuff (Dylan Sinnickson notable exception, stayed after his walk-on year to get his master's and now is a postdoctoral student)

Perhaps importantly, not a lot of programs athletes can be slotted into without taking the GRE. For example, generic MBA programs, with online elements. Now, personally, I don't care that UVM doesn't have it, but lots of athletes who actually are grads want to find those types (a certain former cross-town big man at the D2 school now doing well at a D1 as an example), not the "sustainable" MBA that UVM does.

I get you in particular have a vested interest in disagreeing with me, but, we'll just leave it at that.

As for are these guys actually getting grad degrees? No. Dylan Penn and Finn Sullivan won't leave here with grad degrees. Both are academically seniors at UVM (easily available info in the directory), and there is a reason they are Fifth Years, not Graduate Students on their men's basketball bios.

Penn majored in history per his Bellarmine bio. He wasn't coming here if he had to take the GRE, since UVM's history program requires it, and only takes 12 students or something...and those 12 have to be seriously committed with teaching work etc. Penn is here to hoop. He's taking some classes, getting the grades, and staying eligible. He wants to go to the NCAA tournament that's his only goal here. Sullivan likely took fewer course requirements and either graduates this month and just focuses on basketball all second semester, or he has some more courses left to graduate in May.

This is perfectly fine. They are allowed to do this. The school is cool with each of their circumstances. So, let's just cut out the idea that these guys are here to continue their education in a more serious manner, or that they have the same value systems that some posters here may personally have and share the same outlook on graduate degrees.

· Registered
35 Posts
Lamb has now been named in multiple sexual assaults. Just for the sake of trying to not make the rest of the world hate our program any more, please stop. I get he hasn’t been officially charged, but maybe ease up on the D riding. No one wants to hear it. Post his stats if it blows your hair back, but humble and selfless? Dude, come on….
What was the second one he was named in. I never saw his name put to any other allegations.

361 - 380 of 384 Posts