Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Former Catamounts

61K views 415 replies 52 participants last post by  ProfessorDavid 
#1 ·
Some of you old-timers might remember Jeremy McCool who played for UVM a number of years ago. He is now the NCAA Director of enforcement for basketball development. Here's a link to an article about his work:

http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/culture-cleanup/

#6 · (Edited)
UVM Athletics: Drew Urquhart ’18 Joins CEBL’s Fraser Valley Bandits
ABBOTSFORD, British Columbia – Former UVM men's basketball big man Drew Urquhart '18 has inked a deal with the Fraser Valley Bandits of the Canadian Elite Basketball League. The CEBL, in its inaugural season, is the first professional league of Canada Basketball and operates under International Basketball Federation (FIBA) rules.

Urquhart is the second former Catamount to sign with a CEBL team, joining classmate Trae Bell-Haynes, who will play for the Niagara River Lions.

The Vancouver, British Columbia native joins his hometown team after spending the 2018-19 campaign with Parnu Sadam of the Estonian Alexela Korvpalli Meistriliiga League (KML). He earned the starting nod eight times and posted an 8.8 scoring average. The 6-8 forward also led the team with 1.18 blocks per game and hauled in 4.8 rebounds per game.

Urquhart had a standout senior season for the Cats as he boasted 11.0 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks per game. During conference play, he led the league in field goal percentage (62.8%) and finished second in blocks (24). He was later recognized with an America East All-Conference Second Team selection. In the career record books, Urquhart climbed to eighth with 86 career blocks.

Urquhart and Fraser Valley will get the season underway against the Guelph Nighthawks on Thursday night (May 9) at 10 p.m. ET. The league will stream every game live for free on CEBL.TV.
And for the love of everything holy, it's "fra-ZER", not "fra-ZHUR" (which is how the name Frasier/Frazier is pronounced). (I have a nephew Fraser.)

#7 ·
Court to Corporate: Being an athlete doesn't end when you leave the game
Consistent with our mission to empower student-athletes in business, we will share stories of athletes who leverage their athletic identities in unique ways to propel their careers.

In our first feature, we spoke with Luke Apfeld, a University of Vermont Basketball Alum and current litigation and trial attorney, to discuss how his basketball career not only helped him gain perspective on his post-graduate career goals, but also helped him succeed under pressure in law school.

#12 ·
Crowded Camp
With 20 players on the roster, there are a few who might go under the radar, especially given the need to get to know the new players. Those include LiAngelo Ball, Anthony Lamb and Dzanan Musa, who was acquired in the trade with the Nets for Bruce Brown.
“I didn't know any of these guys before they came in. I didn't know Ball, but he's an excellent player and great kid,” Casey said. “Anthony Lamb from Vermont, the young man has come in and competed. Musa has done an excellent job coming in and fitting in, working hard. It's very hard for me to look out on the court and say that this guy doesn't belong. Lou King has come in and done a good job. I'm really impressed.

“The unfortunate thing for some of them is we don't have the G League. Some of those guys would be great candidates for our G League program to go into and to play because you can see the talent in all those young men.”

#14 ·
Detroit Pistons: yea or nay for G-League team?
Reportedly, the Pistons are among those teams who have informed the league office they have no interest in entering a G-League team in an Atlanta bubble.

On the face of it, the Pistons decision seems strange. They are in a full-blown youth movement. They are the sixth-youngest team in the NBA. Detroit drafted four players, traded for a couple others with limited experience and signed rookie free agents LiAngelo Ball and Anthony Lamb.

If any NBA team could use a G-League team, it would seem to be the Pistons. They certainly have enough players who could use the time on one. Last year, Detroit sent its first-round draft pick, Sekou Doumbouya, to play for the Drive.

The Pistons do have two players signed on two-way contracts (meaning they can play in the G-League and also a certain amount of NBA games) in second-round draft choice Saben Lee and forward Louis King, who was a two-way player last year, as well. Ball and Lamb are on Exhibit 10 contracts, which means they make up to $50,000 extra if they do not make the Pistons but agree to play for their G-League team.

So why is Detroit signing players to G-League contracts but not putting a team in the proposed G-League bubble?

Most likely answer: Atlanta is a lot farther away from Detroit then Grand Rapids.

#15 ·
TBH with a double double for Crailsheim yesterday. 15 pts (4/9 from the field including two threes) and 10 assists to go along with 4 rebounds. Merlins defeated Oldenburg 94-80. Through six rounds of the 34-game schedule, he leads the league in PPG, APG, fouls drawn per game...and unfortunately also turnovers per game (I'd assume that's just a usage rate thing though, because only Fraport's Jón Axel Guðmundsson (formerly of Davidson) has played more minutes per game.)

Next game is a week from today against Braunschweig, a team that I have learned 5 seconds ago is owned by Dennis Schroeder (current Laker). The more you know.

#16 ·
Surprised no one's talked about Lamb getting some minutes tonight. I thought he played adequately, although nothing special. He really only touched the ball twice, as the Pistons were playing selfishly. The first time he got the ball he didn't have much room to drive so he kicked it to the wing, and the second time he missed a corner three just a little short. Really wanted to see that one go down. He played hard though and was the first to help teammates get up as usual. Hopefully they give him another run over the next two games, he looked like he belonged out there. Good effort on the defensive end, boxing out, fighting for 50/50 balls. If he could get a three to drop, the dominoes could fall and if he gets hot, someone will be giving him a serious look. I know it doesn't look like much, and perhaps I'm too much of a homer, but tonight really made me feel like he has a shot to make it at some point.

#18 ·
Lamb is going to need to sign with a team that is actually going to have a G League team or it’s off to Europe.

If he signs with a G League team the chances of being called up w/ COVID probably pretty good.

#21 ·
On another note, UVM Athletics Announces Hall of Fame Class of 2020
The University of Vermont Athletic Hall of Fame has unveiled its Class of 2020. The group includes Marqus Blakely '10 (basketball), Colleen Clark '10 (swimming), May Kotsopoulos '10 (basketball), Courtnay Pilypaitis '10 (basketball), Viktor Stålberg '09 (hockey), Mike Trimboli '09 (basketball), and former NBA head coach Herb Brown '57 will be a special inductee.
Seems like a pretty strong group. (Not familiar with Colleen Clark, but I think I've heard of the Stålberg guy*. But kind of a stretch to include Brown, IMO.)

*yes, yes, jk.

#30 ·
On another note, UVM Athletics Announces Hall of Fame Class of 2020

Seems like a pretty strong group. (Not familiar with Colleen Clark, but I think I've heard of the Stålberg guy*. But kind of a stretch to include Brown, IMO.)

*yes, yes, jk.
I still think Trimboli kept UVM basketball afloat, after the departure of Coppenrath and Sorrentine. He really kept the Cats relevant for a couple of years, when there wasn't a lot of talent on those teams.

#22 ·
Here's a question I might be able to Google, but maybe there are NBA wonks on here who can answer it:

*Lamb signs an Exhibit 10 deal which, when terminated, makes him eligible for a bonus if he plays for that team's G-League affiliate for 60 days.

*The team Lamb (or any player) signed the deal with decides not to field a G-League team.

*What happens to his money?

Does he get the bonus on a technicality? Does he get screwed on a technicality? Does he have to play for another G-League team?

I'm sure his agents is figuring it out, but I'm curious if this is a scenario that they envisioned.

#23 ·
My exhaustive research (googled 3 articles, including this one) and expertise (none) yielded this:
An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year deal worth the minimum salary that guarantees the player will receive a camp invite... If he is waived, the player will be offered $50,000 to sign with the G League affiliate of whomever waved them. Provided he stays on the roster for 60 days, he will earn that $50,000 bonus. The Exhibit 10 contract was created to incentivize players to stay in the G League as opposed to going abroad.
So sounds like b), gets screwed on a technicality; even if he were to sign with a different G League affiliate, it wouldn't help. He'd have to start all over with a new team and new Exhibit 10 contract with them.

Also, this website needs to learn about consistent use of pronominal antecedents.

#24 ·
My exhaustive research (googled 3 articles, including this one) and expertise (none) yielded this:

So sounds like b), gets screwed on a technicality; even if he were to sign with a different G League affiliate, it wouldn't help. He'd have to start all over with a new team and new Exhibit 10 contract with them.

Also, this website needs to learn about consistent use of pronominal antecedents.
Can't imagine Detroit wouldn't offer him the $50K. That is chump change to them.

If not, pretty sure there must have been discussions before signing Lamb about whether Detroit would field a G League team. If any of those convos cast doubt on a G League team this year and then they signed Lamb without disclosing that fact - wouldn't be hard to convince a jury or judge that Lamb was fraudulently induced to sign the 10-day contract. At the very least, there was a failure of consideration - Lamb was not given an opportunity to earn the $50k.

Any decent lawyer should get him $50k. It would cost the Pistons at least that amount to respond to litigation and produce discovery.

#33 ·
The Detroit News 12/25&6: Pistons burning questions on Killian Hayes, trade timeline, G League players
Q: What going on with the Pistons’ G League players?
A: The NBA is working on the final details of what the G League season will look like.

According to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony, there are 18 teams ready to participate in the G League season, which could have 12 or more games, beginning in February. There have been some conversations about that taking place in Georgia, but that hasn’t been finalized yet.

The Pistons have two players on Exhibit 10 contracts, LiAngelo Ball and Anthony Lamb, who were on track to play with the Grand Rapids Drive, but if the Drive doesn’t participate in the G League season, which seems to be the lean right now, then the Drive could “flex” them to another G League team to get some playing time.

A side note is that it could be the end of the Drive, as this is the last year of their affiliate agreement with the Pistons. Beginning next season, Pistons-owned the Motor City Cruise will become the G League team and they will begin play in Detroit on Wayne State University’s campus.

#37 ·

Key part of the article in regards to why so few were drafted:

"The teams that didn’t make any picks will fill their rosters with affiliate players and returning rights players, meaning they didn’t need to draft anyone and/or didn’t have the open spots to do so."

#40 ·
Encouraging news! Lamb made the Charge's 10-man roster. What are the chances that he may, at least, ride the bench for an NBA game if the Cavs have an inevitable outbreak? I believe Sexton already tested positive and thankfully recovered a few weeks ago.

#41 ·
I'll open this up to anyone, but...in this instance, Lamb isn't actually exclusive to the Cavs, right? I know it's their affiliate, and where they send their 2-way/affiliate players, but I don't believe this is a baseball scenario where Cleveland owns all the players, or even has first dibs on them if call-ups/signings are needed

This is a very roundabout way of saying, if Lamb goes to Orlando and shows out then any team with outbreaks/player needs could pick him up I'd imagine.

Now it's just up to him to take care of the showing out part. :)

#48 ·
Is TBH in the running to be on the Canadian national team for the upcoming Olympics?

I know there are now tons of Canadian NBA players, so I would assume he wouldn't, but I know he's been on it in the past.
Maybe he lands on those preliminary rosters that have like 40 guys on it but he's not beating out Jamal Murray, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Lu Dort, Dillon Brooks etc. He probably could be a feature guy on Canada for qualifier rounds for the World Cup and AmeriCup (I think Warney from Stony Brook played in this one for USA) because the NBA guys aren't usually available for those.