Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Forum Changeover

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  ace93 
#1 ·
Nine A-10 teams played this past Saturday, yet only five posts on the gameday thread. I didn't post anything because I didn't see any of the games. In the past a nine game card would've generated a lot of posts. Where has everyone gone?

#5 ·
Activity here has been declining for years. The recent changes haven't helped, though once you work through them the functionality is as least as good as before. I'm hoping things will pick up but I'm not at all confident. Almost every school used to have multiple regular posters. All now seem to have fewer and many have none at all.

#7 ·
I graduated from Dayton several years ago.I believe that for all the A-10 schools, men's basketball is the sport that generates the dollars for the athletic department, and doesn't really have competition for other sports for student, alums and fan interest.Given the size of the student bodies, as well as graduates from the schools, I'm surprised more people don't post, and some that did, no longer do.

#12 ·
Whats the problem w/the new forum changes? It was just a window dressing makeover. Looks fine to me. Still have all the functionality I ever wanted or needed. Much ado about nothing.

#15 ·
I think you are seeing a lot of programs that traditionally don't down-cycle for long periods of time going on extended and concurrent down-cycles. SLU just went through 3 consecutive losing seasons for the first time in decades, GWU has had some internal strife which coincided with some down seasons. UMass has one NCAA tournament appearance in the last 20 years and has had 4 losing seasons in a row. Richmond has had two losing seasons in a row and no NCAA tournament appearances since 2011. SJU has had a couple down seasons by their standards.

Couple those with George Mason not having great performances since entering the league and the size of Davidson (1,800 students), along with the loss of some interesting rivalries and I can understand some lagging fan interest.

The good news is SLU looks like we are starting to rebuild, Dayton (which has never lagged in participation) looks like they are building very well, VCU is rock solid, Duquesne is improving, UMass looks solid, Mason and Richmond have started strong this year, even Fordham currently sits at 3-0. I think stronger programs will lead to more enthusiasm and more participation going forward.

#24 ·
I think you are seeing a lot of programs that traditionally don't down-cycle for long periods of time going on extended and concurrent down-cycles. SLU just went through 3 consecutive losing seasons for the first time in decades, GWU has had some internal strife which coincided with some down seasons. UMass has one NCAA tournament appearance in the last 20 years and has had 4 losing seasons in a row. Richmond has had two losing seasons in a row and no NCAA tournament appearances since 2011. SJU has had a couple down seasons by their standards.

Couple those with George Mason not having great performances since entering the league and the size of Davidson (1,800 students), along with the loss of some interesting rivalries and I can understand some lagging fan interest.

The good news is SLU looks like we are starting to rebuild, Dayton (which has never lagged in participation) looks like they are building very well, VCU is rock solid, Duquesne is improving, UMass looks solid, Mason and Richmond have started strong this year, even Fordham currently sits at 3-0. I think stronger programs will lead to more enthusiasm and more participation going forward.
It will take for the bandwagon fan base to realize that this year's team is night and day different than those teams. We are 5-0 beating a decent Rider Team and Marshall can play anywhere. Hopefully we'll put on a good show next weekend playing Virginia and people will start noticing. Have always said, fan support is a trailing indicator.

It's been so long, forget how I first found this board. Some people. especially after their team turns down, start focusing their time elsewhere. Time will tell. Actually like the new board.

#20 ·
As an FYI on A10 talk, since they relaunched the forums and allowed more people to join under their new format, there have been 36 new topics posted and 186 posts in them. A lot of them are the same people doing the work there though.

Not sure how I could do the similar count on here though, since it's not as easy as simply counting everything that exists. I'm thinking there are probably more people posting here but less frequently than there. Most of the chatter has been in the general forum, followed by the URI and Richmond specific ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.