Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing more and more in the media that the fouls, the offensive ones anyway, that were called on Shaq were unjustified.

Thing is, opposition coaches have been complaining all year and then some that Shaq really just runs over his opponents these days in the post, which is exactly what he was called for in game 2

I feel for Vlade Divac. The rles state that you can't push back against him, and he's so big that all you can do is stand there, which leads to getting run over and then critisism for flopping. Given that it is probably a bad time to get tough on something that they have let go all year, but I am in agreement with the ref's calls on Shaq. If someone is standing their ground, you can't just run 'em over, can you?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Last I checked, if you have established your defensive position, you cannot be moved out of there - if you are, it is an offensive foul.

Lots of people whine about fouls; it really doesn't help unless you're the loudest at it & the refs get sick of your whining! LOL!

In the long run, it won't matter who whines and who doesn't.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Every year in the playoffs the refs have to hear how much they suck from the losing team the night before.

The coaches, especially, make the effort so it gets in the papers so the refs can read them.

This year, it seems even louder. I mean, EVERY game. Sheesh!

Players, just play. Play through it. Stop the whining. Move on, score a bucket, and let's have a game! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Players, just play. Play through it. Stop the whining. Move on, score a bucket, and let's have a game!

That said it all in a nutshell. :yes:

I really don't think that long time fans pay much attention to those things, as almost all players and coaches do that in the course of the season. Those articles usually don't bring in readers and/or fans like their authors think it does.

Maybe newer fans, but the long time fans have heard it all when it comes to that stuff. We watch the game, yell at the refs ourselves, and move on to the next game, right? Right.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Maybe because im not fond of the Lakers but I think Shaq gets away with many violations. He always uses his arms to clear his defender which is illegal(why should he have to do this anyway with his size and strength advantage?),He gets away with shuffling his feet alot when he goes up for thunderous dunks, he gets away with many 3 second violations, and over the back fouls. It boggled my mind that he was complaining about the officiating. That said, I too am sick of all the whining by players after every call it makes the game very ugly when it is actually such a beautiful game. Id like to see the refs give more technicals otherwise its just gonna get a whole lot whinier out there! Also Im sick of Divac flopping all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy folks, first time here...mentioned to me by Fordy....

On the foul calls, it is getting to be where there is a unique skill that a player has to get some calls....Malone, Reggie Miller, etc., all have it, and have used it to make them great.

On Shaq? The guy gets killed sometimes, and often does the same in return so I don't really see to much to complain about. If they called every foul, then Shaq would foul out in 2 minutes, and so would every single guy who guarded him normally.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Yes, it certainly goes both ways, doesn't it?

We have only to look at how Zo would always give out punishment, but man, he took so much, too. Even Shaq said that Zo was a better man than him when it came to playing in great pain & taking it and rarely whining about the call. Being shorter than most centers, his head was almost always "in the way" of the taller center.

Some have a higher pain threshold and some just don't, so they whine more. Of course, players like Reggie Miller could always kick that foot out and get the call - even though he is the one who initiated the contact. The refs finally caught on to that and stopped giving Reggie the trip to the charity stripe. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheRifleman said:
Yes, it certainly goes both ways, doesn't it?

We have only to look at how Zo would always give out punishment, but man, he took so much, too. Even Shaq said that Zo was a better man than him when it came to playing in great pain & taking it and rarely whining about the call. Being shorter than most centers, his head was almost always "in the way" of the taller center.

Some have a higher pain threshold and some just don't, so they whine more. Of course, players like Reggie Miller could always kick that foot out and get the call - even though he is the one who initiated the contact. The refs finally caught on to that and stopped giving Reggie the trip to the charity stripe. :D

Yeah, but it did take 'em a while to catch on, didn't it. Miller was doing that for ages

1 - 9 of 9 Posts