Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Florida comes in next as Fox's Frank Burlison breaks down his preseason Top 25. The Gators enter the scene at a surprising #24.

Anyone else surprised by this low of a ranking? I am. Really surprised. With the talent that the Gators have, they could be a strong contender for not only the SEC once again, but in the NCAA tournament. When I come out with my preseason top 25, you'll be surprised.

How big of a loss is Udonis Haslem? He was the workhorse, the rebounder, the intimidator. He'll be missed. Billy D has a strong freshmen class and returning seniors Brett Nelson and Matt Bonner. Don't forget about the deadly duo of David Lee and James White. This is a team that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Your thoughts? Predictions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks James White is way overrated? I've watched him several times. The guy has no handle. His jump shot is pathetic. For a guy who can jump as he can, he doesn't know how to get in position for a rebound. The only think he does well is jump. Note I didn't say dunk. I've never seen him dunk in traffic.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you are not alone. I don't get it either. We just released our sophomore rankings and I was sickened by the sight of White as the top player in his class and David Lee at 20something.

Did anybody else realize that White isn't nearly as good as people think when Christain Drejer came to Gainesville? He didn't leave a chance to play with Benneton Trevisio for nothing.

Dunking is great. But it doesn't define the player. If he couldn be consistent, then he'd be alright but the kid hasn't developed like Lee has. To me, Lee is the much better prospect of the two. And he can dunk in traffic. ;)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
24th,thats pretty rediculous for burlison who is usually pretty good.i would think with guys like nelson,who is underrated,bonner,lee,white,who is overrated and drejer there is no way that they shouldnt be a top 10 team,if they arent then billy donovan isnt much of a coach,which may be a possibility.

·
Registered
798 Posts
i dont think that James White is overrated but rather over-hyped. Everyone is talking about how good this guy CAN be if he gets the chance to play and live up to his potential. I have not heard anybody saying this guy IS the best player, but rather that he CAN BE the best player by living up to his enormous potential. His weakness is obvious, he needs to improve his jumper and get better on the defensive end. But i think that Billy D can and will improve these aspects of White's game. He reminds me alot of Jason Richardson (a comparison that has prolly been made numerous times). I look for him to have a big year with all the talent that Florida has with Nelson, Drejer, Bonner, Lee, Hamilton, and stud freshman Anthony Roberson, Florida will be able to spread the floor and push the ball which is exactly the type of game James White excels at. I dont think 20ppg is attainable for White, but look for about 15-17 a game.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my poll I have UF ranked a tad bit higher, I predict this UF will be playing for the NC when the time comes. So at this time, I would have to say that I disagree with good ole Frank.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>iverson3</b>!
i dont think that James White is overrated but rather over-hyped. Everyone is talking about how good this guy CAN be if he gets the chance to play and live up to his potential. I have not heard anybody saying this guy IS the best player, but rather that he CAN BE the best player by living up to his enormous potential. His weakness is obvious, he needs to improve his jumper and get better on the defensive end. But i think that Billy D can and will improve these aspects of White's game. He reminds me alot of Jason Richardson (a comparison that has prolly been made numerous times). I look for him to have a big year with all the talent that Florida has with Nelson, Drejer, Bonner, Lee, Hamilton, and stud freshman Anthony Roberson, Florida will be able to spread the floor and push the ball which is exactly the type of game James White excels at. I dont think 20ppg is attainable for White, but look for about 15-17 a game.
over-rated vs. overhyped.whats the differance?

·
Registered
798 Posts
The difference is that when u are overrated it means that u got the chance to prove ur a star but u didnt live up to expectations (much like Terrence Morris at Maryland). James White didnt get the touches he needed to prove that he is a big time player. I think that everyone has been hyping him up over the offseason in saying that he will be a top-5 pick etc... when in reality he still has to prove that he is worthy of that high of selection. Florida had a down year last year, with Dupay getting kicked off the team and Nelson struggling. But IF White gets the touches he needs, then he should have a big year. He is in the exact same situation as Rickey Paulding. Everyone is saying Paulding is a top-10 pick, when in reality he needs a big time year to prove to the nation he is worthy of such praise. I hope that helped with my thinking on James White rainman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts