Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete Article

Frank, 33, will get the chance to start proving his worth tonight in Philadelphia where he will debut as the Nets' head coach after being named the interim to replace Byron Scott yesterday. Frank received a contract worth $2 million for the rest of the season and the next two.
I'm reading this as 2 million for the next 2+ / 3 years? Is that right? I'd consider that a bit low as Scott made 3 per year.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I think it's safe to say Frank's price-tag is definitely a factor in his hiring. If it wasn't for Jeff Van Gundy's precedent, it would be hard for a defending conference champ to get away with promoting a cheap, unknown, young assistant coach as the head coach.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
Man, I'd fire my agent if I were him.
No, this is actually good for Frank. Frank is getting a chance to establish himself despite lacking traditional credentials. At his age and experience, he couldn't expect to be a head coach for years - and I'm talking decades, if ever. A relatively small contract is a cheap price to pay for the jumpstart he's receiving from the organization.

Frank is getting paid in head coaching experience and his entrance into the NBA head coaching club, and more so, doing so on a talented team that pads his chance of at least making a good showing.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Excel</b>!
U'd make a good recruiter.
:cool:

I don't know if Frank will last beyond this season - JVG is a pretty darn high standard. But even if he gets canned, 'NBA Head Coach' on his resume will open a lot more doors and a lot more wallets than 'assistant coach'. When you're still relatively young in your field, it's often the wise move to sacrifice some immediate rewards for the bigger pay-off down the road. And, often, it's all about getting your foot in the door.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
I thought Frank was on interim basis. That is a good deal.
I had thought so too. I have read he is one of Kidd's favorites, so maybe he can last the length of the contract.

-Petey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts