Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Frank Outcoached Jackson, says California paper

582 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  NJ Grand NJ 
#1 ·
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/homepage/article_1058327.php

Lawrence Frank was a student-manager gopher at Indiana for Bob Knight when Phil Jackson was coaching NBA championship teams. So you automatically put the check mark next to Jackson's name in the coaching matchup for the New Jersey Nets against the Lakers, right?

Actually, Jackson lost his second of two games this season against Frank's Nets on Friday night, 92-89, with the Lakers continuing a season plagued by inconsistency that Jackson can't excise.

It didn't help their cause that Jackson pulled some wrong cards at the end - employing a zone defense that allowed a critical put-back score by Nets center Nenad Krstic then calling a final play that Frank told his Nets was coming.

The Lakers, trailing by three points after Krstic's basket with 13.1 seconds left, barely got the ball in bounds, then had to settle for a forced, 32-foot three-pointer by Kobe Bryant with Vince Carter all over him. The shot came up way short.

"The name of the play is 'What the F,' Frank said. "They've been running that play. It's a Red Holzman play, and they execute it extremely well. They ran it against us in L.A., and that's where Kobe hit two threes."

Bryant called it "a great read" by Frank. Jackson said he would have liked Lamar Odom to have called a timeout instead of inbounding the ball against such extreme New Jersey pressure.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think any coach who can play his cards better than one whom has how ever many rings, is doing pretty well for himself.

Frank has his weaknesses, but what coach doesn't?

-Petey

#6 ·
Petey said:
I think any coach who can play his cards better than one whom has how ever many rings, is doing pretty well for himself.

Frank has his weaknesses, but what coach doesn't?

-Petey
Good point.

Preperation and hard work are things you don't have to worry about if Frank is the coach.

The players want to play for him, too.

The mistakes he's making will get better with experience.

#7 ·
ghoti said:
Good point.

Preperation and hard work are things you don't have to worry about if Frank is the coach.

Very important thing. Jackson (Pippen, where he sat because Jackson won't write the final play for him) and Brown run into problems with players (no explantion really needed).

-Petey

#8 ·
ghoti said:
Good point.

hmm.. i was always under the impresssion new players like McInnis or Murray or Padgette were not giving the very young coach(who is about their age) not enough respect so that might be the reason for their playing time.
can someone prove me wrong? I want to know the truth!

anyhow, thats a good sign for frank.. hopefully his coaching can get better as time goes on.

#9 ·
coach is my dude..to be honest i would not want any other coach for this team... no matter what people say...he's has the respect of j kidd ...which means everyone else has no choice but respect him and fall in line..or there out of here and they know that..GOOD JOB COACH

P.S. nenad had his best game by far as a net..he dominated the lakers bigs..he's not scared of these big black guys anymore...im glad...i really noticed the difference at the detroit game. i had really good seats. after that 1 dunk i could see his confidence skyrocket

#10 ·
NEWARK NETS said:
coach is my dude..to be honest i would not want any other coach for this team... no matter what people say...he's has the respect of j kidd ...which means everyone else has no choice but respect him and fall in line..or there out of here and they know that..GOOD JOB COACH

P.S. nenad had his best game by far as a net..he dominated the lakers bigs..he's not scared of these big black guys anymore...im glad...i really noticed the difference at the detroit game. i had really good seats. after that 1 dunk i could see his confidence skyrocket
What an unneeded racial reference

#13 ·
raptorsrule15 said:
What, this is like sayin somebody out-acted Alec Baldwin, and nobody out-acts Alec Baldwin!
Why not compare Phil Jackson to someone whom has won the 2nd most academy awards in motion pictures?

-Petey

#14 ·
JL104 said:
hmm.. i was always under the impresssion new players like McInnis or Murray or Padgette were not giving the very young coach(who is about their age) not enough respect so that might be the reason for their playing time.
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The fact that they've never complained even tho they're vets who expected playing time, shows that they have ALOT of respect for Frank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.