Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey Graham has been our best wing player this year, as a rookie. When the season started, he was a starter. But Mitchell put him on the bench in an attempt to get him more minutes. That didn't happen. Mitchell seems to have a love affair with Morris Peterson and Jalen Rose, when the fact is - they aren't producing.

Everyone talks about how Mo contributes on the defensive end every night, even when he isn't shooting well.. but I feel that Joey has better the better defensive player this year. He did a better job on Iverson, Pierce than anyone else on our team.

He runs the floor consistently, rebounds the ball fairly well, and consistently tries to attack the basket. Yes, his jumper isn't falling, and he is making rookie mistakes like fumbling the ball.. but he has STILL been our best wing player. That's pretty sad.

So, why the hell is he only playing 18 minutes a game? Let the hulk out of his cage!

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
he probably will be getting more and more minutes as the season continues and should play alot tonight if he is going to guard Marion but i am not dissapointed with his offense, he is still struggaling to see what he can and cant do but thats to be expected, also he has been lost in the great play of charlie and jose so it seems like he is playing worse then he actually is

·
Registered
299 Posts
part of the problem with Joey right now... is he's getting called for a lot of rookie fouls and Sam is "forced" to sit him... much like the Hoffa dilemma.

on offensive, he uses his shoulders too much. on defense, too much hand/arm action.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Joey's ballhandling is very weak. It will limit his ability to get to the rack. I hope it's something he's working on a lot.

Turnovers and fouls are what's keeping him from playing more.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I agree with both Vig and wind, but eff it, play them till 6 fouls. Same with Calderon, he should be playing more consitent minutes. His avg is in 20s but was brought up due to some crazy games.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Joey is always out of control he tries to hard and forces everything, he needs to let the game come to him. Hopefully Rose will get traded soon leaving lots of minutes for Joey and Mo pete

·
Registered
87 Posts
vigilante said:
Joey Graham has been our best wing player this year, as a rookie. When the season started, he was a starter. But Mitchell put him on the bench in an attempt to get him more minutes. That didn't happen. Mitchell seems to have a love affair with Morris Peterson and Jalen Rose, when the fact is - they aren't producing.

WHAT are u kidding ourbest wing player he is turnover pron and he is alawys out of comtrol, plus i hear all this crap about his D and he is playin ****ty D rihgt now he is getting just enough minutes rihgt now untill he shows mitchell somethin he wont get any more than 20 a game

·
Registered
609 Posts
^ whoa ezzz buddy
both mo and joey have had their share of bad games this season...imo though mo should be starting over joey; the rook doesn't need the added pressure to score by starting and by coming off the bench, i think he's thinking more about defense than scoring, which is definitely more beneficial to the team

·
Registered
274 Posts
although i would like to see the rooks in general get lots of minutes couple things to consider...

1- it's a long schedule and these guys are not used to that yet

2- although it sounds like sugar coating, on the bench these guys also get to absorb the game and maybe see something they can exploit /build on...

as the season goes on, i see the rooks playing even more significant minutes, but right now it's still early, don't want to burn them out too fast...

·
Registered
565 Posts
With all the success villa and jose have had I think joey feels some pressure to step up. He's forcing everything on offense. His defense has been average at best.

I think the last thing mitchell should do is set him free. Joey needs to be guided, because he's out of control out there.

I hope to god they've got him working on his handles, because until that improves he will struggle

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
^yeah I think so too. He's definitely pressing/forcing it/whatever. Has been since like game2

he keeps putting his head down on his dribble too. Doubt he did that in college

it's probably like baby steps to figure out how to meet faster guys than he's used to seeing

·
Registered
287 Posts
His game lacks fluidity and its apparent he wants to attack the basket every time

That is not a bad thing, but in the NBA you have to find a way around your defenders sometimes instead of taking it right at their grill, and he obviously isn't at the talent level to evade defenders the way he should be doing.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I'd just like to see him playing a little better. He's been just a hair off on so many of his jumpers; you can see that his mid-ranger should be money but it just keeps on missing. He'll progress as the season goes on.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
SkywalkerAC said:
I'd just like to see him playing a little better. He's been just a hair off on so many of his jumpers; you can see that his mid-ranger should be money but it just keeps on missing. He'll progress as the season goes on.
well put.

I think a lot of people are getting down on some of the less then stellar aspects for Joey's game.
I don't think he should be starting, but do think he needs more PT. The turnovers and just missed shots are all things that I'd expect from a mid-first rounder. The SkyWalk said, what he is doing 50 games from now will mean a lot more.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree that he is a work in progress, and he isn't playing like he could be right now.

He is rushing things, his handles prevent him from attacking the basket a lot of the time, his jumper isn't falling, and he turns the ball over quite a bit.

Despite all of these things, I still think he has been our best wing player.

I would like to see the Raptors run some post ups for Joey to get him going. Thats where he is at his best. There have been nothing but good things from Joey in the post.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've never seen Joey play when he was in college.Ive notice most of his offensive fouls come from the fact that he keeps pushing people away with his arm. Did he do this in college or was this something he learned from Jalen? He's got Jalentinitis! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
^yeah his arm-push' is his signature move so far since he NEVER gets a break from his own team (cause Sam treats him like a vet)

Joey should demand a trade imo (if he keeeps getting sent out to the slaughter? he should be the first guy to get traded off his rookie deal)

(it should be Mo guarding Marion/jamison/other freaks/ and Joey should be treated like a rooke. _)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts