Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the time Paul George completed an inefficient 4-for-17 shooting night against the Knicks last March, he had run a total of 172.4 miles through 68 games -- the fourth longest distance in the league during the 2013-14 season, as expanded upon here by CBSSports.com's Ken Berger. As the season wore on, the legs of Indy's two-time All-Star wore down. After kicking off the season shooting a blistering 48.6% from the field in October, George's numbers steadily declined with each passing month, connecting on just 41.0% of his field goals in January and a woeful 37.2% of his attempts in March. In retrospect, fatigue clearly was not the only thing ailing the Pacers during their second-half swoon; nonetheless, it is difficult to deny that it was not one of many contributing factors.

On the year, four of the Pacers' starters averaged over 30 minutes per game and two of them (Paul George and Lance Stephenson) racked up over 35 minutes each contest. By April, Indiana's starters led the field by a wide margin when querying basketball-reference's line-up finder for 5-man units in descending order of minutes played. Recording 1422.1 minutes of game action together, the only other two teams in the league to even come close to that staggering minute total were Portland's starting unit with 1290.6 and Golden State's with 1051.9.

Now, instead of running on fumes, the Pacers' fresh legs are helping them gain momentum and giving them an edge over their competitors.

According to NBA.com/stat's Player Tracking data measuring speed and distance, Solomon Hill has run the longest distance for the Blue-and-Gold this season. Coming in at 131.9 miles, the second-year Pacer has run approximately one and a half marathons less than Paul George (172.4) ran by March 20 of last year.

More importantly, no player on Indiana's roster averages over 30 minutes per game this season. Rather, the Pacers have nine players averaging over 20 minutes per contest and eight players averaging at least 9.0 points per game.
http://www.indycornrows.com/2015/3/16/8225313/fresh-legs-should-give-pacers-edge-in-playoff-race

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
There's no point in making the playoffs now that George is all wishy washy on if he'll come back or not.

According to him, he doesn't want to ruin the teams mojo so he'll probably just sit it out.
According to me (and hopefully Bird and Vogel) he's a paid employee and if he's healthy enough to play he doesn't guy to pull garbage like this.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
He's not going to come back and automatically return to his All-Star form. However, PG even at half of his potential is still a huge boost to the team and could help us potentially steal a round so I hope he changes his mind.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
There's no point in making the playoffs now that George is all wishy washy on if he'll come back or not.

According to him, he doesn't want to ruin the teams mojo so he'll probably just sit it out.
According to me (and hopefully Bird and Vogel) he's a paid employee and if he's healthy enough to play he doesn't guy to pull garbage like this.
Apparently he's been struggling in practice. Keep him out until he's ready to come back, whenever that may be.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Apparently he's been struggling in practice. Keep him out until he's ready to come back, whenever that may be.
If that's true we just need to go ahead and let the rest of the teams close to us in the standings pass us by. We need to capitalize on this draft year if we aren't going to compete.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Theres an article yesterday saying that PG is still walking with a noticeable limp. If that's the case I think theres close to no chance of him coming back this season. If he can't run properly he's likely not doing enough cardio to help him get back into game shape.
Haven't seen that. If true, he definitely should stay out. Although I think it's just all PR damage control now since he hyped up a March return and is now backing out.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I know. And I hate them for it. We could have had a top 5 pick this year. Pair that with George and our current core next year? Could have made a run.
Y'all have the 11th pick right now. Hawks would still pick ahead of you tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts