1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Piker
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
948 Posts
On my way to Boston, then Kingston. This’ll be my first time in the Ryan Center, really looking forward to it.

The bartender at the airport said she makes a “mean bloody”. Then she poured a mix from a pre-made bottle. At least it was a double.

·
Registered
948 Posts
On my way to Boston, then Kingston. This’ll be my first time in the Ryan Center, really looking forward to it.

The bartender at the airport said she makes a “mean bloody”. Then she poured a mix from a pre-made bottle. At least it was a double.
Enjoy, will be a raucous crowd tonight. If you are looking to pre and post-game and need some good spots nearby let me know, immediate campus has no real drinking establishments and the school hasn't figured out how to serve adult beverages yet. There is a pigpen where beer and wine is served and you are locked up with a very poor view of the game, no drinks allowed at your seat (our previous university president was like the Footloose preacher when it came to alcohol and attitudes have not fully turned around yet).

·
Registered
948 Posts
Enjoy, will be a raucous crowd tonight. If you are looking to pre and post-game and need some good spots nearby let me know, immediate campus has no real drinking establishments and the school hasn't figured out how to serve adult beverages yet. There is a pigpen where beer and wine is served and you are locked up with a very poor view of the game, no drinks allowed at your seat (our previous university president was like the Footloose preacher when it came to alcohol and attitudes have not fully turned around yet).
Good to know, thanks. I’ll definitely take some recommendations. We didn’t see anything nearby and saw the drinking area in the arena.

·
Registered
948 Posts
For closest establishments to the arena:
Shaidzon Beer Company (brewery) and Tilly's Cheesesteaks 2 miles west around Kingston Amtrak Station. Maybe a food truck at the brewery but Tilly's also delivers there, so whichever of these scenes suits you more. It will be lively in Shaidzon because they always cater to the pregame crowd on social media. Tilly's isn't a bar as much as a sit down sandwich shop with beer and wine available.

North of campus (on the way in from Boston): Back 40 on South County Trail in North Kingstown is 9 miles away and is a fairly large higher end type of bar and grill.

Wakefield village south of campus has Mews Tavern which is a great and "historic" spot, around 5 miles from campus.

Especially with the sellout tonight the bars and traffic on back roads will be full, so you'll want to be early in/early out from your pregame.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That’s perfect. Thanks for all the info, Rhody. Are you going to be at the game?
Not tonight, used to have season tickets but I work up near Boston now so it can be a struggle leaving on time to get to games. My wife has a convention outside DC next weekend so I'll make it to Smith Center for the first time to watch the blue Rams playing there.

I cannot wish you luck for obvious reasons, but have a good pre and post-game experience!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I like the Rams by 9.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
This looks a game where it is the Rams by .9...seconds.

Is this the only game that is "suppose' to be a game this weekend?
We'll see how that goes...

·
Registered
948 Posts
VCU almost caught up after URI posting up a 28-point lead, yikes. Great effort by the Commonwealth Rams to make it a game, but I always figured it would not be a close game in either direction. Rhody would either tense up with the capacity crowd and get blown out, or what happened tonight and really rise to the occasion, make great plays and win comfortably.

·
Piker
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VCU almost caught up after URI posting up a 28-point lead, yikes. Great effort by the Commonwealth Rams to make it a game, but I always figured it would not be a close game in either direction. Rhody would either tense up with the capacity crowd and get blown out, or what happened tonight and really rise to the occasion, make great plays and win comfortably.
Congratulations on the win. I just do not get VCU's lack of strategy when it comes to playing teams that love to play fast. VCU's trapping press can be broken by quick guards which allows for fast break shots and board crashes while the VCU players are trying to find their man or spots. When the guard gets past the traps it transforms the aggressive defenders into lost souls. It works for VCU at times but against some teams it is best to get back and defend. Trapping is something that makes guards like Dowtin and Russell salivate while their wings and big lay in wait to catch and go to the glass. What do I know though? I ain't making the big bucks to figure out strategy but I know I have been tired of watching it happen since the Michigan game in the NCAA tournament. That being said, it is fun to watch when it is working.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That was ugly. We did make it interesting in the 2nd half, but the hole was too deep. VCU just couldn’t get any shots to fall in the first half, and Rhody couldn’t miss.

On another note, the Ryan Center is a great place and the atmosphere was awesome. I’m assuming it was because we were down 30 at one point, but everyone we talked to was super friendly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Congratulations on the win. I just do not get VCU's lack of strategy
I was talking about that this morning. I don’t get it either. It just seems that opponents know what’s coming and there aren’t any adjustments to the game plan. At least for the first halves.

·
Piker
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I was talking about that this morning. I don’t get it either. It just seems that opponents know what’s coming and there aren’t any adjustments to the game plan. At least for the first halves.
Well it isn't brain surgery. A team needs their wings and bigs laying in wait after the guards get moving. Keep the ball hot toward the glass and then aggressively go for offensive boards. The teams that have trouble are teams that hesitate and wings that do not move to open spots to help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts