Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I’m not trying to pick a fight - only making an observation.

I didn’t watch the game last night but Russell shooting 18 free throws means two things. Biased officiating or a bad defensive scheme.

What I noticed noticed over the past few years is that VCU doesn’t go after UD full court. I think that has to do with the quality of guards running the point - Scoochie and Crutcher. Rhoads pressured Chatman hard in Dayton and got some run outs but he didn’t go after Crutcher. I also think that Archie and Grant have/hadd wings that could handle the ball well, and experienced teams that didn’t panic.

VCU also has different players and has gone through two HC changes since the last time that noticed Havoc hurting Dayton. I thought that VCU’s half court defense took Dayton out of its offense at times in Dayton.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Congratulations on the win. I just do not get VCU's lack of strategy when it comes to playing teams that love to play fast. VCU's trapping press can be broken by quick guards which allows for fast break shots and board crashes while the VCU players are trying to find their man or spots. When the guard gets past the traps it transforms the aggressive defenders into lost souls. It works for VCU at times but against some teams it is best to get back and defend. Trapping is something that makes guards like Dowtin and Russell salivate while their wings and big lay in wait to catch and go to the glass. What do I know though? I ain't making the big bucks to figure out strategy but I know I have been tired of watching it happen since the Michigan game in the NCAA tournament. That being said, it is fun to watch when it is working.
Thanks, good 2nd half showing by VCU, I believe it was a 21-3 run at one point (unfortunately at the start of it VCU was down 28 if I recall). URI has really turned it around since the start of the year. When the season began, it was obvious the ball was given carte blanche to Fatts, with Dowtin relegated as a spot-up shooter or getting the ball late in the shot clock without much of a chance to create. That is a waste of Jeff's abilities as since freshman year his assist/TO ratio has been outstanding.

However Rhody has now mixed it up to make it a 1A/1B situation with Fatts and Dowtin sharing the ball. Creates a little more unpredictability with the offense and allowing Fatts to not have to be stressed as full-time ballhandler AND scorer. BOTH are very good at the point, so trapping them as a strategy and giving Fatts a running start is kind of a fool's errand.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I’m not trying to pick a fight - only making an observation.

I didn’t watch the game last night but Russell shooting 18 free throws means two things. Biased officiating or a bad defensive scheme.
I mean, that's a fair observation from the stats only (which I make time to time), but you'll notice the VCU fans above have noted there was a little too much trap and press. That really put the defense back in the URI side of the court in a tough position with Fatts gaining a head of steam after breaking the press against a 5 on 4 or 5 on 3. This combined with Russell being a "baby Iverson" with his small stature yet big aggression, means he'll draw a lot of fouls.

The way to prevent this is to get back/not press and stay at home inside the 3-point line as a defense. Russell is a MUCH improved 3-point shooter from last season, but forcing him to take and make threes, or drive into charges with stationary guys in the lane, is probably your best bet.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts