Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Piker
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are definite morale issues with VCU. Some of the players’ body language stinks. What happened in the last two or so weeks? Did one of the players bird dog a teammate?
Hi Bill--I am not on the inside but have heard there are issues. The person would not spill the beans though. Could it be the young guys think they are better but don't get enough minutes or are on a short leash when they make a mistake? Could it be the seniors being front-runners and thinking they are better than anyone? Who knows but they are really crapping all over my 2019-2020 season ticket book.

I have seen it coming with this senior class. Heck, if you exclude the 12 game win streak last year this team has played about the same for the last 3 years. The team is SOFT like Charmin and to make matters worse they have absolutely nobody that can shoot consistently from deep. I have am no McNaismith but I see that VCU runs very few offensive sets. If I was an opposing coach I would not be too fearful. Just do not let VCU get going in a track meet.

Rhoades loves to employ his army approach playing 12 deep. I really do not believe you should play 12 deep unless you go full on diamond press. The idea of playing so many players is that they should be sucking air and need a rotation change or tiring out another team. I do not see VCU players getting winded in a half-ass trapping drop back press and I do not see other teams getting tired. Well, maybe they get tired of lay ups and uncontested 3s. Constant rotation changes is not utilized by many teams and there is a reason for that. College basketball has lots of players and you are very lucky if you can get 8 really really viable players that can light it up with effort and skill.

For some reason Rhoades thinks his army can burn the boats and pillage the lanscape. In my opinion, he should cut the rotation and play his best 8. For the life of me I cannot understand why Simms plays so many minutes (not to pick on him but he is a get in for a couple minutes before the TV timeout and then come back out guy). I do not want to blame coaching because I do like Rhoades but he is being stubborn right now. Hopefully he will get going with a young team next year but it will take some time. There are layers and layers to VCU's problems. One being having soooo many coaches over the last decade and the chickens are coming home to roost.

No excuses and the ball always goes up for an opening tip. Mike gets payed the big bucks to figure it out.

This team is just not very good and it is as simple as that. I would be surprised if they win one out of their last four and it is is not due to effort. It is due to frustration and helter skelter subbing patterns.

PS-sorry but thought I would point out some of what I see and I know that these are not paragraphs but I thought it would be easier to read if I separated some of my gibberish.😂 Oh, I will live through it all. I have a loyalty to VCU and have seen the good and bad. I am no guru but I watch lots of basketball and I could see it coming. Only surprise I have is the implosion and quit that has resulted in getting blown out. It should be very concerning to Coach Rhoades. Personally, I would play for next year instead of being so loyal to the seniors.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I’m not piling on because VCU is important to the conference, but how secure is Rhoads’ position? Most of the internet rumblings of dissension etc fall on the HC’s shoulders.

It’s not mentioned often but VCU has five combined losses against URI, UR and UD. These three teams improved significantly year over year where VCU didn’t. Maybe poor chemistry is the reason for this, but maybe this VCU team simply topped out.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I have seen a 10 man rotation work well at Wofford last year.
Did not full court press, but the half court defense was a blanket.
Then the offense was full sprint mode, all the time. Often it looked like a hockey game with people going in and out.
But they had a balanced scoring ability, so it worked.
Might not be so good (especially up to 12) if you don't have some good shooters all around.

·
Piker
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not piling on because VCU is important to the conference, but how secure is Rhoads’ position? Most of the internet rumblings of dissension etc fall on the HC’s shoulders.

It’s not mentioned often but VCU has five combined losses against URI, UR and UD. These three teams improved significantly year over year where VCU didn’t. Maybe poor chemistry is the reason for this, but maybe this VCU team simply topped out.
I think Mike is fine. This is a layered issue. Coach has a senior laden group that he is loyal to and was depending on. He has a good young group that he is mixing in. The chemistry is not right. Next year will be somewhat of a struggle too. He has some good players coming in. VCU basketball has survived in the last 7 years with some band aids and the roster is what it is. I do wonder though about the Army approach. Going too far down a bench has never been something I have seen as being successful. Heck, even when Shaka ran the diamond press non-stop he went about 10 deep. I think Coach Rhoades is running too many wholesale rotations right now and needs to pare it down. Might also want to work on some offensive sets. Ha! I like Coach Rhoades and I hope he will be successful. This team though has struggled the last 3 years. Even when they went on that 12 game will streak last year if you looked closely you could see the issues.

·
Piker
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen a 10 man rotation work well at Wofford last year.
Did not full court press, but the half court defense was a blanket.
Then the offense was full sprint mode, all the time. Often it looked like a hockey game with people going in and out.
But they had a balanced scoring ability, so it worked.
Might not be so good (especially up to 12) if you don't have some good shooters all around.
The issue is that in the A10 good teams are playing really solid players heavy minutes. Going deep down the bench actually gives those teams mismatches that they exploit. I do not know many teams in the country that can go comfortably 12 deep and not have problems arise with glaring mismatches. You can just look at the box scores and play by play rundown from the recent blowouts to see what the issue is. Effective players are not getting the minutes they need to help. It is kind of helter skelter. I do not expect coach to change things now. Heck, he and everyone else expected all of these seniors to lead the way. What happened is that some of the younger guys are simply better. This is probably why there is a chemistry issue.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hi Bill--I am not on the inside but have heard there are issues. The person would not spill the beans though. Could it be the young guys think they are better but don't get enough minutes or are on a short leash when they make a mistake? Could it be the seniors being front-runners and thinking they are better than anyone? Who knows but they are really crapping all over my 2019-2020 season ticket book.

I have seen it coming with this senior class. Heck, if you exclude the 12 game win streak last year this team has played about the same for the last 3 years. The team is SOFT like Charmin and to make matters worse they have absolutely nobody that can shoot consistently from deep. I have am no McNaismith but I see that VCU runs very few offensive sets. If I was an opposing coach I would not be too fearful. Just do not let VCU get going in a track meet.

Rhoades loves to employ his army approach playing 12 deep. I really do not believe you should play 12 deep unless you go full on diamond press. The idea of playing so many players is that they should be sucking air and need a rotation change or tiring out another team. I do not see VCU players getting winded in a half-ass trapping drop back press and I do not see other teams getting tired. Well, maybe they get tired of lay ups and uncontested 3s. Constant rotation changes is not utilized by many teams and there is a reason for that. College basketball has lots of players and you are very lucky if you can get 8 really really viable players that can light it up with effort and skill.

For some reason Rhoades thinks his army can burn the boats and pillage the lanscape. In my opinion, he should cut the rotation and play his best 8. For the life of me I cannot understand why Simms plays so many minutes (not to pick on him but he is a get in for a couple minutes before the TV timeout and then come back out guy). I do not want to blame coaching because I do like Rhoades but he is being stubborn right now. Hopefully he will get going with a young team next year but it will take some time. There are layers and layers to VCU's problems. One being having soooo many coaches over the last decade and the chickens are coming home to roost.

No excuses and the ball always goes up for an opening tip. Mike gets payed the big bucks to figure it out.

This team is just not very good and it is as simple as that. I would be surprised if they win one out of their last four and it is is not due to effort. It is due to frustration and helter skelter subbing patterns.

PS-sorry but thought I would point out some of what I see and I know that these are not paragraphs but I thought it would be easier to read if I separated some of my gibberish.😂 Oh, I will live through it all. I have a loyalty to VCU and have seen the good and bad. I am no guru but I watch lots of basketball and I could see it coming. Only surprise I have is the implosion and quit that has resulted in getting blown out. It should be very concerning to Coach Rhoades. Personally, I would play for next year instead of being so loyal to the seniors.
Good info and the paragraph splits were appreciated!
As for playing for next year, that is something I am very against. It might work for the fans, for the coach and for some of the team, but it is a slap in the face to the seniors, assuming they deserve the time. Now if they are mailing it in, start the most deserving players irrespective of class.

·
Piker
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info and the paragraph splits were appreciated!
As for playing for next year, that is something I am very against. It might work for the fans, for the coach and for some of the team, but it is a slap in the face to the seniors, assuming they deserve the time. Now if they are mailing it in, start the most deserving players irrespective of class.
I would be fine if he rested the seniors these final four games and played all the freshmen then go for it in Brooklyn. I don't have any answers other than I think he is playing too many combos and the seniors have been invisible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts