Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Florida Gulf Coast is an interesting program. A school basically on the beach. They have not done much since their Dunk City days when Enfield was the coach. ECU's coach Bill Dooley (I think that is his name) took over and was run out of Ft Myers. Now they have Pat Chambers who was run out of Penn State. FGCU has given some former VCU players an opportunity when they hit the transfer portal. Dahmir Bishop from St Joe's is there now.

· Registered
125 Posts
They’re not good yet. They also haven’t figured out what it takes to win games against bigger/stronger/better players. FGCU (like other teams from this OOC) is old and talented.
Rebounding is an issue and it’s going to be tough to fix. There needs to be two physical as F players down low crashing but an offense running through Venning brings the dreaded help defender closer if you do that.
Offense isn’t crisp and they resort to simple sets with no counters (see: ball screen). The complexity of Schmidt’s “plays” isn’t anywhere near grasped by this group.

· Registered
66 Posts
Offense isn’t crisp and they resort to simple sets with no counters (see: ball screen). The complexity of Schmidt’s “plays” isn’t anywhere near grasped by this group.
By no means to dismiss the rest of your points, but this is really what it comes down to. Too much standing around. No rhythm. A lot of factors as to why that could take paragraphs to break down. At the end of the day, the rest of it falls into place far more easily when you score with ease.

Part of that is young guys who still have a lot of potential to still realize. Part could very well be missing pieces that aren’t part of the current roster. Guard depth, at least to me, is an apparent concern. The recruiting efforts for next year so far reflect that’s a concern that the staff shares.

· Registered
622 Posts
They’re not good yet. They also haven’t figured out what it takes to win games against bigger/stronger/better players. FGCU (like other teams from this OOC) is old and talented.
Rebounding is an issue and it’s going to be tough to fix. There needs to be two physical as F players down low crashing but an offense running through Venning brings the dreaded help defender closer if you do that.
It would be difficult for any team to win against bigger/stronger/better players. It looks like the Bonnies were taken to the wood shed in the second half last night.

· Registered
125 Posts
It would be difficult for any team to win against bigger/stronger/better players. It looks like the Bonnies were taken to the wood shed in the second half last night.
Here’s the thing about Schmidt teams, though- they do it all the time.
Your Billikens have been victims of it for years. Give me one player on the 2013-2014 Bonnies squad that would play (let alone start) on that Evans/Jett team. One of the reasons that Dolphin meme comes out when the Bonnies beat SLU is that your fans know your team is more talented nearly every year. I mean that in no slight or disrespect to SLU, but the individual player that Schmidt uses would play limited minutes on most A10 teams.
It usually works due to player development and a scheme that is very good when it’s clicking. This year, these kids are individually talented but it hasn’t clicked.

· Registered
125 Posts
Let’s keep it going-
Schmidt is a good coach. Schmidt and Curran find kids and get them to be A10 (or higher) level players. It’s incredibly rare for the Bonnies to get A10-ready players in their first year. Hall, Nicholson, Posley, Stockard, Lofton, Cumberbatch, possibly Adams are exceptions. This will take time. There’s nothing here that isn’t fixable unless the systemic puss-rebounding is here to stay.
Now, I actually own a woodshed so maybe I can speak to this a bit. The Bonnies were taken there and given some gentle spankings by rentaplayers. If this group stays together for another year, they’ll be the ones bringing teams to the shed.

· Registered
2,991 Posts
Florida Gulf Coast is an interesting program. A school basically on the beach. They have not done much since their Dunk City days when Enfield was the coach. ECU's coach Bill Dooley (I think that is his name) took over and was run out of Ft Myers. Now they have Pat Chambers who was run out of Penn State. FGCU has given some former VCU players an opportunity when they hit the transfer portal. Dahmir Bishop from St Joe's is there now.
Now that I am back in town...
That was Joe Dooley, Bill Dooley was either a VA Tech football coach or a UR basketball coach...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts