Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A few excerpts from the book.....

During the summer of 1994 a wave of change swept over the coaching staff and the front office. Rick Adelman was fired after five and a half seasons as coach. P.J. Carlesimo replaced him. And Geoff Petrie resigned as the team’s senior vice president. In his place came Bob Whitsitt, whose titles were now president and general manager. Whitsitt had been in charge of the Seattle SuperSonics for the previous six seasons.

I never would have let Rick go. We had a great relationship. It hurt when he was fired. I mean, first you take away my center, then you take away my coach? Then Petrie was gone. And they also removed the team doctor, Bob Cook. I really enjoyed those people. I had some problems with that. I was extremely unhappy with those moves.

.....During camp, I went to Bob and told him I wanted a trade. He said, “Clyde, let’s wait and see what we have, see how this team is playing. Let’s give P.J. a chance. If you really want to be traded, play well so I can get someone good in return for you.”

I just wanted to get out at that point.

We knew Whitsitt was brought in by Paul Allen to be a hatchet man. Paul wasn’t tricking anybody with that move. We were all going to be gone pretty soon. It was time for them to rebuild, and I needed a change of scenery.......

......As I have watched what Bob Whitsitt did to the Trail Blazers franchise over the years, I have looked at him with disdain.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Clyde said some idiotic things about Whitsitt a few years back, I was shocked... his hatred for him goes beyond disdain... I'm pretty sure Bob is up their with the anti-christ in Drexler's mind. Now... I love Drexler, but I never heard Whitsitt bad mouthing anyone.

·
Banned
765 Posts
Still don't think Bob was a bad GM. He built a title contending team through trades alone. He also had some pretty good drafts considering he always picked so low(or not at all). He just made some really bad trades in the end, so that's what everyone tends to remember.

I bet Whitsett would have gotten Bonzi and Wallace out of Portland just like Nash did if he had the chance.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I agree, Bob was one heck of a GM... but not much of a people person. Honestly... it isn't a GM's job to try to make everyone happy.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I can't think of a single "individual career" that was destroyed.

WTH is this clown talking about?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MARIS61</b>!
I can't think of a single "individual career" that was destroyed.

WTH is this clown talking about?
the only one I can think of is Kemp's, but thats his own fault, not the Blazers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts