Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is nothing worse in the NBA than a scrub who's out to prove that he's a star. Juan Dixon seems to be such a player. It's as though someone dropped Derek Anderson and Damon Stoudamire in a blender, drank the sludge and out came Juan Dixon on the other end.

He tries to jack it up everytime he gets the ball. Nevermind he should be like the 3rd or 4th option. He's trying to be Allan Iverson. I wouldn't have much of a problem with him just trying to hit his open outside shots WITHIN the offense. But anyone who's watched him knows that's not the case.

I dearly hope Nate sees the light and does not play Juan Dixon unless we are down to 8 playable players. Give his minutes to Monia, case closed.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
CelticPagan said:
There is nothing worse in the NBA than a scrub who's out to prove that he's a star. Juan Dixon seems to be such a player. It's as though someone dropped Derek Anderson and Damon Stoudamire in a blender, drank the sludge and out came Juan Dixon on the other end.
Juan Dixon has as far to go to become Damon Stoudemire as Martell Webster has to go to become Michael Jordan.

And that's not any praise of Webster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
I agree that Dixon could possibly be a decent contributor off the bench in certain situations if he would stop jacking up shots. But that seems improbable.

I really enjoyed reading the posts this summer by the Wizards/Juan Dixon fan who kept coming in posting his short stories about how stupid the Wizards management is and how great Dixon is; Countered by the other Wizards fan who provided the lengthy rebuttals. (Sorry, I don't have time to dig up the posters' names.) I had a feeling at the time the rebuttal poster was more thoughtful/credible. Now I know for sure. What really surprises me is that Nate hasn't reeled him in yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,946 Posts
I cringe every time Dixon comes round a screen and the guy with the ball looks his direction.

Maybe our tune will change when he has a few hot games, but his career percentages indicate that won't happen too often...

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,731 Posts
Putting The Ball In Dixon's Hands Is Like Running With Rusty Scissors.

Trade Him Now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,264 Posts
CelticPagan said:
There is nothing worse in the NBA than a scrub who's out to prove that he's a star. Juan Dixon seems to be such a player. It's as though someone dropped Derek Anderson and Damon Stoudamire in a blender, drank the sludge and out came Juan Dixon on the other end.
that is just about the best analysis of Juan Dixon I'm likely to read this year. well said.

it sucks having this turd blossom on our team, but just look on the bright side. if Mo Cheeks were still coaching he'd be playing 40 mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
What really surprises me is that Nate hasn't reeled him in yet.
Interesting point.

What other options does Nate have?

An even worse FA signing in Blake.

A very green Rookie in Martell.

A defensive specialist in Smith, when we have a much better defensive stopper in Ruben on the roster (for now)?

Playing Monia out of postion?

The other options are experiments too.

Juan is an experiment (from the coach's perspective). It is failing miserably. And last night Nate already started moving away from Juan to other experiments. He gave a few minutes to Martell. He tried a big lineup.

I am thinking that Nate is playing Juan as much as he is to serve several purposes:

He is seeing if he can follow his instructions. So far he doesn't.
He is seeing if he can shoot himself out of his slump. So far he hasn't.
He is giving Nash's big FA signing the minutes early to prove he deserves playing time. So far he doesn't deserve one more minute.

If Juan continues to stink up the joint, Nate will have a very strong position built-up that allows him to do whatever the hell he wants with Juan - including the IR - for the rest of the season. And Nash will have little standing to lobby for his boy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
We need a guard or guards to shoot outside shots, or every team will cheat on defense and clog the middle. Hopefully someone starts hitting from out there, it's not Juan. Telfair and Jack were both 1-for-2 from 3 last night (IIRC), 50% works but we need more good attempts. Especially on the high pick&roll so teams have to stay out on the guard.

Zach is our best outside shooter right now. :) :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
They were shots he should have taken but he should have made some of them too. That is his one skill that he brings to the table, shooting the ball. He doesn't play D, he isn't a penetrator. He shoots and if he can't do that effectively he is eating minutes that could be used in the development of other players who may one day show some skill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
Dixon sit on the IL for Viktor

Monia is a 2-3 while viktor is a 3-4!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
I agree with Schilly, he actually is taking good open shots, but an NbA player should be able to make 50% when he's taking good open shots. I can't believe that Smith, a guy who led the Euroleague in scoring , couldn't do better. He doesn't seem to have as many open shots when he is in there; i don't know if that is due to him not moving without the ball as well or at this point in the season may just be due to chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Verro said:
The last Blazer that made me cringe as much with the ball in his hands was Kemp.
i'd have to go with ha or chris dudley. actually there have been alot of blazers who make me wonder if we are running a charity for basketball players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Masbee said:
I am thinking that Nate is playing Juan as much as he is to serve several purposes:

He is seeing if he can follow his instructions. So far he doesn't.
He is seeing if he can shoot himself out of his slump. So far he hasn't.
He is giving Nash's big FA signing the minutes early to prove he deserves playing time. So far he doesn't deserve one more minute.

If Juan continues to stink up the joint, Nate will have a very strong position built-up that allows him to do whatever the hell he wants with Juan - including the IR - for the rest of the season. And Nash will have little standing to lobby for his boy.
I was thinking the same thing, and that is the best explanation I could think up. Dixon is a vet that Nash chased after in the offseason. Nash gave Dixon a nice contract. I think Nate wanted to at least give Nash the benefit of the doubt before he pull the plugs on Dixon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Schilly said:
The shots Juan took were shots he should have taken.
If Dixon's role on the team is to catch the ball and shoots it everytime, then yeah he is taking good shots. But he is no Iverson, so i don't think that is his role.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
BuckW4GM said:
I was thinking the same thing, and that is the best explanation I could think up. Dixon is a vet that Nash chased after in the offseason. Nash gave Dixon a nice contract. I think Nate wanted to at least give Nash the benefit of the doubt before he pull the plugs on Dixon.
pretty sad that that is our big free agent signing. at least it was only for like 5 million dollars.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top