Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of the frog faithful how does it feel to be looking up at LASALLE. They are a better team and a better program right now then you are, I am laughing my ass off. LASALLE > Frogs

One again

LASALLE> Frogs.

Viva le FROGS

GUSTER

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
And we @ La Salle are laughin' at y'all!

:rock:

·
Registered
94 Posts
What's your problem with SJU? They're still a dangerous team in this league. I really hope they're looking up at La Salle in March, but more for La Salle than because of St. Joe's.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Let's not get caught up with all the hype yet. La Salle fans for the most part aren't, with the exception of 1 in particular, but it is a good team that has a recent streak of good performances against 2 very good teams. It was just a week ago that La Salle was demolished at Xavier.

They are deep at guard and return 4 starters and their super sub (Garland) so the program is on steady ground for the foreseeable future but let's not get to crazy.

If anything comes out of this, hopefully the unprovoked, groundless cheap shots by certain posters are done regarding this program.

·
Registered
16 Posts
with a 20+ win season last year and returning most play aside from Pettis and white, it's not a huge surprise to see the explorer's making a run this year. Proud of their focus and ability to avoid some of the mental mistakes that had cost them last year.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
with a 20+ win season last year and returning most play aside from Pettis and white, it's not a huge surprise to see the explorer's making a run this year. Proud of their focus and ability to avoid some of the mental mistakes that had cost them last year.
I agree and as a La Salle fan I took offense to all of the pre-season hype SJU and UMass received when I knew that the Explorers were much deeper and better then both of those teams. You have to prove it on the court though.

That being said... playing on the road in the A10 is tough and it DOES MATTER the order that you play the teams. The Charlotte loss for La Salle was more of Ramon trying to do too much. Xavier game was there for the taking but do to some horrific officiating and tentative play caused by that (and Coach G's failure to take a Technical in the first half), it turned ugly. We will not see a separation of teams for another couple of weeks... but the better teams will find a way to win in the long run to the A10 Tourney.

La Salle is now getting the respect it has earned as the Best team in the city of Philadelphia...
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/la_salle/20130128_The_best_in_Philly__La_Salle.html

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
You did have a helluva week and long overdue for your fans. The X game was pretty much a blowout without the officiating. Just the way things will go this year. Home teams rule.

PS: Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree and as a La Salle fan I took offense to all of the pre-season hype SJU and UMass received when I knew that the Explorers were much deeper and better then both of those teams. You have to prove it on the court though.

That being said... playing on the road in the A10 is tough and it DOES MATTER the order that you play the teams. The Charlotte loss for La Salle was more of Ramon trying to do too much. Xavier game was there for the taking but do to some horrific officiating and tentative play caused by that (and Coach G's failure to take a Technical in the first half), it turned ugly. We will not see a separation of teams for another couple of weeks... but the better teams will find a way to win in the long run to the A10 Tourney.

La Salle is now getting the respect it has earned as the Best team in the city of Philadelphia...
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/la_salle/20130128_The_best_in_Philly__La_Salle.html

You gotta get past this "blame it on officials" stuff. You get questionable officiating when you are the visiting team. We all know this. I went back and watched, and the 7 straight calls that you say are black and white, clearly and corruptly in favor of X--and they are NOT all that black and white. Regardless, the only thing that was horrid in that game was LaSalle's shooting. Duren and Galloway combined for 6 of 26 shooting. They are great--and they had a TERRIBLE night. LaSalle lost. The dudes avg. 32 pts a game and combined for 18--and that is 18 pts on 26 shots, which is terribly inefficient. I like the team. I like those two players. I love the victories over VCU and Butler, but can we stop making excuses. They shot poorly at X. They lost. Get over it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You gotta get past this "blame it on officials" stuff. You get questionable officiating when you are the visiting team. We all know this. I went back and watched, and the 7 straight calls that you say are black and white, clearly and corruptly in favor of X--and they are NOT all that black and white. Regardless, the only thing that was horrid in that game was LaSalle's shooting. Duren and Galloway combined for 6 of 26 shooting. They are great--and they had a TERRIBLE night. LaSalle lost. The dudes avg. 32 pts a game and combined for 18--and that is 18 pts on 26 shots, which is terribly inefficient. I like the team. I like those two players. I love the victories over VCU and Butler, but can we stop making excuses. They shot poorly at X. They lost. Get over it.
You gotta stop claiming "blame it on officials". That is NOT what I said. I said the corrupt officiating calls were clear and caused La Salle to play tentatively as they were not allowed to be even slightly aggressive at either end of the floor. This makes players hesitate. Some games have worse officiating then others. According to my friends at LaSalle-Explorers.com, they discovered that the officials at the X game had done very little officiating this season and brought their bias' from previous seasons into the game. I am glad that specific officials are called out when they are obviously making HORRIBLE one-sided calls. I don't want them in the A10 or any high-level Division One conference. I am NOT referring to occasional home team (home cookin') foul calls either; you expect one or two but not over a half-dozen in a row. I am over that game but apparently you are not... I wanted to address your points so you know where I stand.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Steve, just stop it already. Your delusional rantings about "corrupt officials" is tiresome. How many years have you posted the same thing over and over again? Sure the officiating was lousy and yes, X got some calls, but let's face it, the reason La Salle lost in that game was they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. X was the better team that day and won. End of story.

·
Registered
59 Posts
La Salle has had a slight competitive edge in talent over SJU since 2008, this is not new. As for the officiating, it is ludicrous to think that the officials stole a game for X. Good teams have to be capable of winning games no matter how inconsistently they may appear to be officiated (in the eye of the beholder). Would the game have had a different result in a different court? Maybe, but if La Salle is truly as good as it may seem to us, these are games they are going to need to stay more competitive in. Not for nothing, the Xavier and Charlotte losses may have given the Explorers a newfound edge over VCU, as they have found what it takes to withstand those home court runs that any good team will have.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
La Salle has had a slight competitive edge in talent over SJU since 2008, this is not new. As for the officiating, it is ludicrous to think that the officials stole a game for X. Good teams have to be capable of winning games no matter how inconsistently they may appear to be officiated (in the eye of the beholder). Would the game have had a different result in a different court? Maybe, but if La Salle is truly as good as it may seem to us, these are games they are going to need to stay more competitive in. Not for nothing, the Xavier and Charlotte losses may have given the Explorers a newfound edge over VCU, as they have found what it takes to withstand those home court runs that any good team will have.
You have to watch the game... look at the calls. See for yourself. Be a neutal observer and you will still not believe the outcome of the calls. The A10 has to stop using guys that the BCS conferences refuse to use. If a ref has only officiated 8 games in this season to this point then he is not someone you want officiating an important conference game. That is the bottom line. End of story.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Steve, one thing that you are not is a neutral observer, so don't tell me. You only watch the road games on the radio, you question calls by default, and you never give the referees enough credit, it's always slander. A good team does not question 50/50 calls on the road, they win outright anyway. How many apparently "corrupt" officials do you think Xavier has had to overcome in the last three weeks alone? Answer? None. Because they are so good, they don't need to resort to ridiculous, tired excuses. And neither should La Salle, lately. But I won't let you speak for them just because you have an internet and a La Salle degree. As if that makes you some sort of authority.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You gotta stop claiming "blame it on officials". That is NOT what I said. ........

I am over that game but apparently you are not... I wanted to address your points so you know where I stand.
First of all, it is what you have said in numerous posts since the game--whether you said it exactly in this one or not.

Second, I'm not over it? I'm over the game. Hell, what exactly would I not be "able to get over"? We won? Perhaps I'm not over you blaming a good win for X on "corrupt officials".

BTW, do you know what corrupt means? You keep using the word corrupt, but when you argue about it, you seem to mean inept.

Moreover, while I can't be neutral (and neither can you), I can speak to you from the perspective of an X fan who is also a high school referee. The "over half a dozen straight calls" you refer to are not nearly as ridiculous as you seem to make it out. I haven't watched it for awhile, but I did go back and watch it again after the game. The Jeff Robinson "over the back" (not a real call by officials) was a good no-call. He made contact with the LaSalle player, but he didn't displace him. The charge on the sideline was a good call. The flop you charge Amos with where he got the charge on the big guy--well, that was a flop. BUT, we see that call go to the defense AT LEAST once a game in EVERY college game. That is not indicative of corrupt officiating, it is indicative of a game that is nearly impossible to officiate well played by incredibly strong and quick athletes. Did Amos steal the call? Sure, but that call gets missed all the time. The hand checking? Possible. What I thought was really odd about that call was when it was called. It was whistled after Galloway (I think) got around Amos, so it seemed like a late whistle. Regardless, my point is that your so-called neutral perspective is anything but. Moreover, the calls you point out as being so monumentally one sided, were also....not as decisively wrong as you portray.

·
Registered
20 Posts
in other ExplorerStever related news, I was checking out espn/com's power rankings today and one of the top comments was "Really? La Salle beats #9 Butler after they defeat Gonzaga. Then La Salle goes on the road and beats #19 VCU by 8 points... AND ZERO VOTES? Are you guys out of your collective minds?"

The author was someone by the name of ExplorerSteve!

I'm not sure they are out of their minds...is there a particular team in their top25 rankings that you feel is worse than LaSalle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Steve, Al, and Jack are out of their collective element. They are not used to having a very good team to support, so they don't know how to act. They all sat around staring at the computer screen waiting for the polls to come out, and then as soon as they did, Steve immediately made inane comments like "these polls do not even matter, they do not carry any weight" and "La Salle should be higher, this is ludicrous."

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will say this - keep winning and I expect LaSalle to maybe get a spot in the AP poll the next couple weeks, I'm sure some voters are aware of LaSalle's recent accomplishments. Any losses against an easy schedule the next few weeks would certainly negate that progress

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
La Salle is a very good team this year and I'm really glad to see it. I'm really looking forward to the Temple and La Salle game. I'm also thankful that it's not on the road, as I think this is the year they would take us down.

The officiating in this league is not nearly as bad as suggested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts