Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the future of the team? Rahim seems to be the main focus of trade rumors in the league right now. I don't think the Hawks are that bad of a team when Diaw continues to develop offensivly he will be the perfect balance to Terry with two potential point gaurds on one team and if Rahim isn't traded a solid post player this team has a very good core of talent, but i wonder if maybe they should incorporate a new offense possibly Princeton's upbeat ball handling offense. With the new allignment next year there is a real chance that a completly healthy team could win the SE.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Rahim, Diaw & Jackson are keepers IMHO... Terry and Ratliff is not. No matter how hard I want to believe it, JT is not the PG for this team. And putting him at SG just screws everything up.... he is just not a fit for this team at any position... Theo is good shotblocker, but his offense and REBOUNDING is horrendous.

Maybe we can get a PG and big men in the draft..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Trade Terry for Kaman or Wilcox

Trade Ratliff for Murray and Antonio Daniels. You got it

Daniels/Diaw/Jackson/Rahim/Kaman

Draft: Howard or Josh Smith.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
The Hawks would be best off keeping the players they have now, and once the draft comes around, they could take a proven player that will be able to contribute, instead of a European-project who will take 3 or 4 years to play. The Hawks are only a couple of good players away from being a playoff team IMO.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
This may sound strange since my team is so horrible..... but I would rather have championship aspirations than playoff ones. We HAVE to draft Okafor/Howard imo

And if the ping pong ball screws us, then we can get one of the great point guards in this year's draft class. Noone says you have to fill all the wholes in 1 year, it's a long term project no matter how hard you want to think otherwise..

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Honestly I don't think the Hawks are that awful. They clearly aren't good, but their problems are clearly defined. No depth, no PG. Bad defense.

Their draft pick could bring a difference-making player. If they could, they might do well to trade Ratliff or Terry, but I think that given the ownership situation they won't take on any salary. :|

When that gets cleared up, however, they'd probably be wise to trade Ratliff for whatever they can get. I could see them getting Flip Murray and one of Seattle's centers back. Flip would be a nice player.

Terry is probably harder to get much value for, given that he's hard to fit on most teams. He's not too bad playing next to Diaw tough.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
The Hawks have the best future of any lottery team besides the Cavaliers. They are assured two great draft picks in 2004 and 2005 by virtue of being absolutely terrible, and after that, have you seen how much cap room they have? Good lord!

The 2005 free agent class may be one of the best ever, so the Hawks look like they are in great shape. They will turn it around even faster than the Nuggets did.

I expect that the only member of this team that will still be on the roster in 2005-06 is Boris Diaw. SAR, Jason Terry, and Theo Ratliff need to get traded immediately in exchange for prospects, the same way the Nuggets got Nene for Antonio McDyess. Too bad Scott Layden isn't around anymore, but they'll find a sucker somewhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with the opinion of trying to build a champion team rather than being a playoff team. We should trade players for young prospects, obtain in the draft the higher pick as possible and use the cap room to obtain leadership and quality players. All the big contracts are going to expire this or next year, that is plenty of cap space.

Terry and Rahim have demonstrated that they don´t know how to win and are not leaders. Ratliff is spendable, honestly I prefer Nazr. We should keep Jackson, Diaw, Nazr and Vaughn and try to obtain something for them, anyway if we have to keep one I would prefer Rahim althought doesn´t know how to win games.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
If I were the Hawks GM, I would trade Rahim, Terry, and Ratliff to clear some cap. Trade these guys for players such as Gugliotta, who's contract would come off the cap at the end of the season.

This would allow the Hawks to build around Boris Diaw, and then go out and sign top free agents this off-season. Also, the team would have a good lottery draft pick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts