Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whether it be the worlds or the olympics does anyone in this country really care if we even send a team?.the attendance has been non existant,the media coverage not much better.i was watching espn last night to see highlights of games and all they showed was some guys dunking on trampolenes,is that really a league?,it wasnt till i read the papers this morning that i noticed we lost to spain.lets face it there are two generations of basketball fans in this country.the old school,and i'm not talking guys with afros,who remember the game when there were actually fundamentals being displayed and the other being todays fans who just want to see the dunks and the trash talking.the media caters to the younger fans and it isnt till we get to these world championships and the olympics that some of the old timers recall the game when there was actually some shooting,passing and movement on the court.in a couple of months we can finally get back to life in the nba as we know it and marvel at some guy who can throw it down,shoot 39% from the field and whose team is on the bubble to make the playoffs,we'll call him a superstar.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
maybe people don't care as much about this tournament because it's not the olympics, you know what i mean?

it's sad though...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Even though I'm American, I've always thought it was pretty arrogant to call OUR champions the WORLD champions. The Diamondbacks, the Lakers, the Red Wings, etc...Maybe this SIXTH PLACE finish in the World Championships (which are important in the rest of the world, by the way) will make Americans finally realize there are other countries in the world.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wiggum</b>!
Even though I'm American, I've always thought it was pretty arrogant to call OUR champions the WORLD champions. The Diamondbacks, the Lakers, the Red Wings, etc...Maybe this SIXTH PLACE finish in the World Championships (which are important in the rest of the world, by the way) will make Americans finally realize there are other countries in the world.
so true...never thought of that...they should change it to "national champions" (or maybe continental champions for those leagues that include canadian teams in them)...

·
Registered
225 Posts
in a couple of months we can finally get back to life in the nba as we know it and marvel at some guy who can throw it down,shoot 39% from the field and whose team is on the bubble to make the playoffs,we'll call him a superstar.
cough, cough, Antoinewalker!

Anyway, I don't think it's quite true that the US doesn't care about this tournament. I think there's plenty of people that care LOTS about it- now that we've lost.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just remember how many people watching the games. Not more than 1000 (aside from the final). That showed me the interest of the US in the WBC.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I thought they should of won but I certainly don't feel WC are that important.

Just because the rest of world thinks it's important doesn't U.S. or any nation should.

Soccer is most popular sport in the world, does that make me inclined to care how U.S. soccer does? No.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts