·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other possibilities include trading for guys like Claxton or maybe Dooling.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
This is hilarious because I had the exact same thoughts after this game. Against good teams our PG's are exposed big time. Snow just kills us with his slow dribble style, it stagnates the offense and doesn't utilize the open court strengths of our two best players. DJ is a matador defender and ideally a backup on any championship caliber squad.

Ferry needs to make it a priority to upgrade the PG position, Claxton or possibly Watson would be ideal targets IMO. Trading up in the draft is certainly an option as well, and might be better for the long term growth of the team.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Here's a thread on Rajon Rondo (sp?): doubt we'll have a draft pick high enough to get him but it is an interesting read particular since he's one of remy's favorites :)
Yes indeedy. I'd be very excited if Cleveland could get Rajon but his draft projection has been moving up. A few months ago, some sites said under ideal circumstances Cleveland could land him but the odds are getting slimmer as time passes.

I wouldn't mind a trade but I'm more in favor of drafting a PG that can grow with the team and be in things for the long haul.

There was another PG I was curious about that was initially projected high, later advised he needs another year of improvement and isn't even included in some 2006 draft projections. His name is Sergio Rodriguez. I've asked around about the guy but I wasn't able to unearth much about him.

Here's an old video of the guy, in case you want to see a tiny bit of him.

Sergio Rodriguez Video

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Watson's contract sucks but at least he's long and has enough speed to defend. Damon Jones has a big head (ego), he thinks he is better than he actually is. Ideally he's put in his place by someone and put in a backup role. Snow is clearly a bit long in the tooth, he's a part-time vetern PG that'll be valuable in spot minutes in the playoffs.

However you slice it, this team needs a legit 2-way PG and fast. Rondo would be a dream for this team; he could come in straight out of Kentucky and be an All D defender his rookie season, he's that quick, long and smart already. And his court vision gets better every year. He just needs to fix that ugly shot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I really like Rondo. But he will be like a top five pick. I definetly think that the Cavs need someone else but who is not clear. I think Ferry will be able to find a good point guard during this year or the offseason because Snow and Jones just cant cut it.

2,290 Posts
The sophomore Washington from Memphis ?

He was gonna go pro after High School but went on to be Freshman of the year, and back at it in his sophomore year. But then again i dont know much about him other than he is a scorer, maybe we can work a trade out with the Trail Blazers they have to many good guards dixon,jack,telafair

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:

He was gonna go pro after High School but went on to be Freshman of the year, and back at it in his sophomore year. But then again i dont know much about him other than he is a scorer, maybe we can work a trade out with the Trail Blazers they have to many good guards dixon,jack,telafair
I've seen him play a couple times. He is actually a tremendous athelete, saw him in a dunk contest and 3pt contest in highschool. Has nice explosiveness off the dribble but like you said is more of a scorer than a pure point right now.

I doubt he will still be around late in the 1st round. It's looking like Ferry will have to trade up in the draft.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hudson kills us and Jaric puts the nail in the coffin for the Twolve vs. our PG's tonight

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:

This guy's gonna be a top 10 pick. No way he falls to Cleveland.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
WTChan said:
This guy's gonna be a top 10 pick. No way he falls to Cleveland.
Hard to predict, Granger and Green were expected to be top 10 locks last season, and they went late teens (17 and 18 I think?).

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hate to lose Drew but how about Gooden to Phoenix for Barbaso? Seem would benefit both teams. We still would have AV and Marshall at the PF and Barbaso would after he returns from injury by far the best PG on the roster: decent defender, can hit the open shot and loves to run

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
^ Until we see AV back and exactly how good he is, I'm not in favor of trading Drew. While we all thought that AV could surpass Drew, I have to think that if Drew continues playing at the level he's been playing at, we can't be so sure about that.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
remy23 said:
^ Until we see AV back and exactly how good he is, I'm not in favor of trading Drew. While we all thought that AV could surpass Drew, I have to think that if Drew continues playing at the level he's been playing at, we can't be so sure about that.
Oh I agree Gooden playing at this level is extremely valuable and losing him would be a big loss. But we really have very few tradeable assets except Gooden and he is in a position where we are relativly strong.

Again trading anybody right now is way too premature as we are 9-4 after losing a game that we would if anybody would have hit an open shot (i.e. other then Lebron), but looking down the road if AV comes back at full strenght this is something I would seriosly consider. Then again Z is playing like crap so far this year so maybe we need BOTH goodena and av for the future

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Then again Z is playing like crap so far this year so maybe we need BOTH goodena and av for the future
This quote nails it. I'm in favor of keeping both. That way, you can mix combinations of Marshall/Gooden/Varejao to replace Ilgauskas out there if he's playing poorly. I'm beginning to be a little worried about Z's play myself. That's why the more bigs we have, the more options we have.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
u want to be a championship caliber team with a rookie PG running the show? When's the last time that worked? Sam Cassell? Magic Johnson?

Come on now guys....

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:
u want to be a championship caliber team with a rookie PG running the show?
I think you've boarded the wrong ship, mate. We want a rookie PG to be groomed and be like a 6th man. And in 1 to 2 years, eventually become the starter. The mentality here is that the "stop-gap" way of thinking has to go and something more permanent needs to come. Having veteran players on your team is great, but you also need young players that you know will grab the torch.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
AV and Gooden is the frontcourt of the future. With Marty Vicious being the backup. That's like five years from now, after Z and Marshall pass on.

Z's fine IMO. He's battling his usual early season insomnia. Remember how he came on last year after the all-star break. I really like his hard work. He's probably the quickest to dive on the floor for a loose ball.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Are there any good young point guards in the international system? Either in South America or Europe? We need to start building a list.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts