Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No fancy thread stuff, though somebody's welcome to add it if they've got it. We should win this one.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm not confident saying "we should win..." against anyone this year.

But, the Kings are one of those teams that can struggle against a good defense and a team that plays smart.

So if the Bulls play defense like they can, and limit turnovers, we should win this one.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Re: Game 1: Kings @ Bulls (7 PM)

October 31, 2012

TV/radio:
7 p.m., Wednesday; WGN-Ch. 9, WMVP-AM 1000.

Series: First meeting. The Bulls won both games last season.

Last meeting: Luol Deng's 23 points led the Bulls to a 121-115 home victory on Feb. 14.

Probable starters (PPG):

Isaiah Thomas 9.4; Kirk Hinrich 9.4

Tyreke Evans 10.3; Richard Hamilton 14.3

DeMarcus Cousins 15.9; Joakim Noah 10.4

Jason Thompson 9.1; Carlos Boozer 13.1

James Johnson 6.6; Luol Deng 13.2

Team averages (preseason stats)

Scoring offense: Kings 98.7 (T-8); Bulls 90.4 (26)

Scoring defense: Kings 95.6 (17); Bulls 87.1 (2)

FG percentage:
Kings .424 (18); Bulls .405 (28)

FT percentage: Kings .819 (2); Bulls .745 (10)

3-point FG percentage: Kings .324 (20); Bulls .258 (30)

Rebounding: Kings 42.3 (20); Bulls 48.4 (1)

Turnovers: Kings 15.6 (T-2); Bulls 17.6 (16)

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

My hope is that we surprise people without Rose... that Hinrich and Robinson can give us enough defense/scoring to keep us competitive with a mostly balanced offensive attack. Preseason numbers seem to indicate that our rebounding and defense will still be our biggest strength.

It is hard to get excited in a Rose-less world, but to the extent that it is possible, I'm looking forward to this game.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts

Eww, they're some ugly preseason offensive numbers for you guys.

I think you could be in trouble this year.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts

I'll be in the stands for this one. I'm particularly interested in watching the Cousins/Noah matchup.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts

Eww, they're some ugly preseason offensive numbers for you guys.

I think you could be in trouble this year.

I don't think the Bulls are going to be a top-tier offensive team by any stretch of the imagination, but one should always keep in mind preseason or more or less meaningless.

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I should be able to catch about two thirds of this game online before I have to leave for class tomorrow, so that will be nice. It's good to have the NBA back.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts

I don't think the Bulls are going to be a top-tier offensive team by any stretch of the imagination, but one should always keep in mind preseason or more or less meaningless.
I think I read somewhere that offensive play in the preseason is roughly emulated in regular season to the tune of 40%. Defensive play hit 25%.

Preseason isn't meaningless by any stretch, just look at the Lakers last night.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts

The first day of the Bulls regular season is always my favorite day of the year, particularly when it falls on my favorite holiday of the year.

Sacramento should be an easy win, but there are not going to be any gimmes this year until Rose comes back and is in old form. Our offense could go cold on anyone.

Prediction: Bulls 94 - Sacramento 86

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

How about a little chatter? Just got caught up on the DVR.

Bulls are up 69-59 right now... defensively we look solid. Offensively we've been moving the ball relatively well but it is clear that we miss Rose. Hamilton and Noah are both having good games, though I haven't checked the box score.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

75-68 - Marcus Thornton hit a couple of deep shots and Jimmy Butler came in to hold him.... seems like we're going to have to rely on Butler in those types of situations given the Height/Age restrictions with Hamilton/Hinrich/Nate Robinson. Hopefully Butler is up to the task

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

I'm happy to report that Kirk Hinrich is still one hell of a defender.... if only his offense weren't so pedestrian.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

Boozer with a nice pass to a cutting Deng for a dunk... 83-76 with 4 minutes remaining. We're running Hinrich/Hamilton/Deng/Boozer/Gibson right now... Gibson has been playing solid defense but my hope is that we come back with Noah for the stretch run... I like having his passing out there.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

Hinrich is straight up broke right now... even when he creates space for himself he isn't looking to shoot... when he does shoot the results have been ugly. 87-83 right now with 35.6 left

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

WOW, 5 second violation on the Kings... Evans neglects to call the timeout and can't get the ball in

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts

93-87 final. 23 and 10 with 3 blocks for Noah... 11-12 from the line.

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my schedule mixed up and ended up not being able to catch any of this game. A win's a win, though!

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
93-87 is dangerously close to my 94-86 prediction. Offense looked a little better than I expected, although shooting is definitely a problem. Defense looked much better than I was expecting to start the season, but it did help that Cousins was in foul trouble all game.

1-0!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts