Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

VS

Cleveland Cavaliers (7-2) @ Philadelphia Sixers (6-4)

STARTERS

BENCH

TIME: 4:00 pm PT, 7:00 pm ET
TV: NBA League Pass, WUAB
Radio: WTAM 1100

Cleveland did their part in defending the homecourt at The Q and have to face the Sixers in Philly. Allen Iverson is going to have a major advantage this game, as he always has good games against the Cavaliers. Iguodala and Webber can also step up and hurt our squad. Coach Brown needs to have a game plan for how to defend the pick-and-roll. In the last few meetings against the Sixers, they ran the same play back-to-back or with slight variations and it gave the team fits. Cleveland should do well offensively. Zydrunas is coming off a big game; which is a good sign he is getting up to speed. Drew Gooden continues to play inspiring basketball. He’s beginning to put together the different facets of the game and make less boneheaded mistakes. While Coach Brown would like the team to play a strong defensive game, this game will probably become an offensive shoot-out.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
The big matchup will be Igoudala against Lebron. Igoudala's offense hasn't been terribly impressive but his defense so far has been stellar. He made life real difficult for Kobe. If Lebron stays get his points, boards, and assists in his usual efficinet matter (this means an average game from him not one of those really memorable games) then I think we win this. If Igoudala keeps Lebron in check by reducing that awesome efficiency the 76ers will have a good shot.

With regards to the other positions and bench: Iverson has a huge edge obvioulsy but every where else I'll take a Cav over a 76er except at PF where I would call it even. At PF I don't think Webber has any edge on Gooden who is having a terrific year (rebounding, hustle, and D have all been there for Drew this year)

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Hughes vs. Iverson is going to be Arenas vs. Hughes pt. 2. Can lighting strike twice?

Up front, the Cavs should dominate the Sixers.

At the end of the day if the Cavs continue to dominate the glass against their opponents, they'll win most games.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If we take AI out of his game we should win. The rest of our team can easily beat theirs. The whole team is gonna have to help out if they are gonna shut down AI. This is a hard task and it should be a good game.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pioneer10 said:
With regards to the other positions and bench: Iverson has a huge edge obvioulsy but every where else I'll take a Cav over a 76er except at PF where I would call it even. At PF I don't think Webber has any edge on Gooden who is having a terrific year (rebounding, hustle, and D have all been there for Drew this year)
If Drew can play against Webber with the same energy, intelligence and knack he was playing tonight with, there's a good chance Drew could win that match up. That said, Drew could come out flat and make me look insane for even suggesting this. But I think Gooden could outhustle Webber on the glass. When Drew is on, he's every bit as pesky, annoying even, as AV was when he was playing.

2,290 Posts
I think we let Iverson get his usual points. Its going to happen no matter what, and just make sure no one else Kills us. Webber looks like he is almost Webber of old at times, but i think Gooden can be so active that Webber quickly remembers he is getting old with a bad knee, then bring in Marshall and Webber has to defend all lengths of the court.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snow knows what makes Philly go

More From The Plain Dealer | Subscribe To The Plain Dealer

Snow knows what makes Philly go

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Philadelphia 76ers are one of the hottest teams in the league. The Sixers went into Friday night's game against the Miami Heat on a six-game winning streak. This was after they started the season with three straight losses.

Former Sixers guard Eric Snow gave one major reason for the Sixers' turnaround.

"Allen Iverson," said Snow, the Cavaliers' starting point guard. "He gets it started. Whenever he's playing well, it makes it easier for everyone else on the team. They'll benefit by feeding off his energy."

Iverson is averaging 32 points during the streak and the Cavs have to find ways to slow him and the Sixers down tonight in Philadelphia. The Cavs are on a four-game losing streak against the Sixers.

Up all night:

Zydrunas Ilgauskas continues to deal with insomnia that began last season after some late road trips. Ilgauskas said he sleeps better during the off-season. He is helped with medication during the season.

There are some alternatives.

"I've had CDs with music sent to me and I was told to drink certain teas," Ilgauskas said. "Once I stayed up all night and watched the same David Letterman show three times. I was telling the punch line of his jokes before he did. The best thing about staying up all night is calling someone and waking them up."

Stars:

All-Star balloting began on Friday and will run through Jan. 22. The All-Star Game is in Houston. LeBron James, Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes and Ilgauskas are on the ballot.

James was voted as a starter last season. Ilgauskas made the team as a reserve. Ilgauskas is one of only seven players in team history named to at least two all-star teams.

A total of 120 players - 60 each from the Eastern and Western Conferences - are listed on the ballot, with 24 guards, 24 forwards and 12 centers from each conference making up the ballot. Voters select two guards, two forwards and once center from each conference.

Honor:

Gooden was honored by the NBA with the Community Assist Award for October. Special assistant to the commissioner and NBA legend Bob Lanier presented Gooden with the David Robinson Plaque during halftime of Friday night's game. In addition to the plaque, a $5,000 gift will be given to Gooden's charity of choice, the East End Neighborhood House.

"It means a lot," said Gooden about the award. "It's one thing helping out the community but to be recognized by the NBA is a big deal and I appreciate the honor."

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yahoo! | NBA | Cleveland Cavaliers/Philadelphia 76ers Preview

Cleveland Cavaliers/Philadelphia 76ers Preview

LeBron James looks to lead the Cleveland Cavaliers to their seventh straight victory when they visit Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers, who are coming off their first loss in seven games.

James scored just 16 points, but Zydrunas Ilgauskas had 20 of his 22 in the first half as the Cavaliers posted an easy 102-84 over the Orlando Magic on Friday night. The Cavs improved to 7-2, matching the second-best start in franchise history. Only Cleveland's 1976-77 squad, which started 8-0, opened with a better mark.

Though the season is young, the Cavs have already shown more depth and offensive weapons than at any time since James entered the NBA in 2003-04. More importantly, they're playing great defense under first-year coach Mike Brown.

"This is the most fun I've had in my 2 1/2 years so far," James said. "We have to keep it going."

Drew Gooden added 15 points, Damon Jones made five 3-pointers and Larry Hughes had 12 points for the Cavs, who are 5-0 at Quicken Loans Arena this season, winning at home by an average 20 points per game.

"I love blowing teams out," said James. "Right now, we're riding our confidence and we've got to blow teams out. That's what we want to do. We don't want any close games."

Ilgauskas, who had 11 rebounds Friday, and James spent most of the fourth quarter on the bench, getting rest for Saturday's game at Philadelphia, where the Cavs haven't won since Dec. 13, 2003.

Philadelphia had its six-game winning streak snapped at Miami on Friday night, dropping a 106-96 decision to Dwyane Wade and the Heat.

Iverson scored 33 points and Chris Webber had 21 and 10 rebounds for the Sixers, who lost for the first time since starting the season 0-3.

"It's hard for us to be successful trying to outscore everybody every night," Iverson said.

STANDINGS (through Nov. 18): Cavaliers - 2nd place, 1 1/2 GB, Central Division. 76ers - 1st place, Atlantic Division.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Cavaliers - F James, F Gooden, C Ilgauskas, G Eric Snow, G Hughes. 76ers - F Kyle Korver, F Webber, C Steven Hunter, G Andre Iguodala, G Iverson.

TEAM LEADERS: Cavaliers - James, 28.0 ppg; Gooden, 8.6 rpg; Hughes, 4.4 apg. 76ers - Iverson, 31.9 ppg and 8.2 apg; Webber, 9.9 rpg.

2004-05 SEASON SERIES: 76ers, 3-0.

LAST MEETING: April 8; 76ers; 103-98. At Philadelphia, Marc Jackson came off the bench to score 24 points, helping the Sixers complete the season series sweep.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Cavaliers - 2-2 on the road; 76ers - 4-2 at home.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Big game, we need to pick up these kind of wins on the road to validate our contender status.

If we get this one I don't forsee another loss this month outside of @ Indiana.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iverson has got into the paint to the right side on 2 plays in a row. He's hard to handle regardless of which side he chooses but it's even worse when he goes right.

Larry Hughes hits the first shot for the Cavaliers. Hopefully, he gets going. The Sixers are off to a good start, forcing the Cavs to take an early time out.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Things seem to settle down a bit now. Cavs down by 2

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ AI will probably drop 40 tonight. I wouldn't be shocked. He has 12 points already.

Nice pass by Hughes to Drew. Then Gooden later cleans up on the offensive glass. Good to see him starting well. Now Gooden gets another offensive rebound and gets the basket again. Good job Drew!

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Sixers blew 2 free baskets (Iggy and C-Webb). Cleveland should feel lucky about that.

Hughes off to a good start.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Larry continues to roll. He has 10 points in the quarter.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Our defense isn't exactly solid right now.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting coaching move by Brown. On the second to last possession for Philly, Brown told the Cavs to use a zone. It seemed to slightly catch the Sixers off guard, which helped lead to a turnover and the James push for the dunk.

31-30 Sixers at the end of 1.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts