14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

vs.

Marquee Matchup

vs.

Team Comparision

Code:
Team 	Records 	Standings 	PF 	PA 	Home/Road 	AFC 	NFC 	DIV 	Streak 
NY Giants    6-3-0 	2nd NFC East 	254 	167 	4-1-0 Home 	1-1-0 	5-2-0 	1-1-0 	Lost 1
Philadelphia 4-5-0 	4th NFC East 	193 	205 	1-4-0 Road 	3-1-0 	1-4-0 	0-3-0 	Lost 3
A must win game for Eagles to remain in the playoff contention

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GAME PREVIEW
Sunday, November 20, 2005
1 PM FOX at Giants Stadium

The Philadelphia Eagles were willing to sacrifice Terrell Owens' game-breaking ability for the sake of team harmony, preferring to rely on the talent of quarterback Donovan McNabb to make up for the receiver's absence.

Now, in perhaps their most crucial game of the season, the Eagles won't be able to count on either player.

Reeling from a stunning defeat and the loss of McNabb to injury, the Eagles travel to the Meadowlands to take on a New York Giants team that's also looking to bounce back from an ugly performance last week.

Veteran Mike McMahon, who had been the third-string quarterback, will get the start over backup Koy Detmer for the Eagles. McNabb's status beyond this week is uncertain.

The Eagles will rely on the journeyman McMahon to lead them past a Giants team that is also coming off a stunning home loss, and is saddened by the second death of a co-owner this season. Bob Tisch passed away Tuesday from brain cancer at age 79, exactly three weeks after 89-year-old Wellington Mara died.

Perhaps the biggest concern for New York was a poor game by quarterback Eli Manning, who was confused all afternoon by the Vikings' shifting coverages and threw four interceptions.

"I thought I was seeing some things and I made some bad decisions," Manning said. "We just have to go back and concentrate on this next week. We have a big game next week against Philadelphia. We just have to worry about that, try to learn about this game, watch some film tomorrow, see the mistakes, fix things, and figure out how to get better."

Manning and the Giants need to get better in a hurry, as their schedule for the rest of the season is considerably tougher. After this week, New York plays at first-place Seattle, hosts Dallas, plays at Philadelphia, hosts Kansas City and travels to Washington and Oakland.

Philadelphia has beaten New York four straight times.
LINK

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike McMahon had worst 1st half performance. I didn't think Andy would let him play in the 2nd half but he did.

We did make a comeback in the 2nd half but it was too little too late for us. I hope Lito is alright.

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CLOSER LOOK AT GAME VS. GIANTS

• QB Mike McMahon: Struggled early, but really got into a rhythm in the second half. All told, he threw for 298 yards on 18-of-39. He ran for one touchdown and threw for another, but threw a critical interception late in the first half when the Eagles were poised to put some points on the board.
  • RB Brian Westbrook: Accounted for over 100 yards from scrimmage for a fourth straight time against the Giants. Including 8 punt return yards, Westbrook amassed 131 yards on 22 touches. Westbrook averaged of 4.1 yards a carry while rushing for 66 yards. His longest run of the day -- a 19-yarder -- helped set up a score, as did a 32-yard reception.
  • TE L.J. Smith: Caught seven passes for 84 yards. He appeared to have a touchdown catch in the third quarter, but CB Will Allen got his hand on the ball and pulled it loose, and it dropped incomplete.
  • WR Greg Lewis: Caught three passes for 64 yards, including a nice one-handed grab for a first down in the first quarter.
  • The Defense: The unit played inspired football during the first half, limiting New York to just 83 total yards in the first 30 minutes. They sacked QB Eli Manning four times and forced a pair of fumbles that the Giants recovered. However, the unit allowed some big plays in the second half -- WR Plaxico Burress' 61-yard TD catch and RB Tiki Barber's 55-yard run.
  • C Jamaal Jackson: Despite a few fumbled exchanges, it was another solid outing for Jackson.
  • OG Adrien Clarke: Stepped in for an injured Artis Hicks and played well.
  • P Reggie Hodges: Dropped a pair of his kicks inside the 20-yard line and finished with a 27.2-yard net average. However, the Giants' lone first-half touchdown was made possible by David Tyree's punt block, which set up the Giants at the Eagles' 1-yard line.

EAGLES GAME BALLS

• QB Mike McMahon: McMahon was very Donovan McNabb-like in his ability to keep plays alive and make something happen with either his arm or legs. He demonstrated terrific mobility, rushing for 31 yards, including his 1-yard TD plunge. On that drive, he scrambled 12 yards on a third-and-8 play. He was not sacked.
  • WR Reggie Brown: The rookie turned in an outstanding effort with 88 yards and a touchdown on three catches. He also drew at least one pass interference penalty.
  • DEs Jevon Kearse & Trent Cole: The pair of edge rushers combined for five sacks. Kearse forced a pair of fumbles which New York recovered. On one, Cole, who made his first NFL start, tried to scoop up the loose ball instead of just falling on it. Cole has logged five sacks in the last three games.

KEY STATS

• 244 minutes, 11 seconds: The Giants defense had not allowed a touchdown in this much time before WR Reggie Brown's 22-yard TD reception in the third quarter Sunday.
  • The Eagles' current four-game losing streak is the third during Andy Reid's tenure as head coach. The team had two four-game losing streaks during his inaugural season at the helm.
  • The Eagles defense is allowing an average of 160 rushing yards per game on the road.
  • Philadelphia was penalized 7 times for 105 yards.
  • The Eagles offense was just 1-of-3 in the red zone.

SOURCE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts