Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
11/23 ; 7:00 PM EST ; FSNE

The Hawks are among the worst teams in the league, currently losing nine straight games since the start of the season. They last played the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets losing by three; 92 to 95 (boxscore). The Hakws were led by Salim Stoudamire's 30 points off 11-15 shooting (4-7 from the perimeter) off the bench. Joe Johnson also played a large role, scoring 21 points off 9-16 shooting to go along with two rebounds and two assists. Off the bench, Josh Smith scored 11 (4-11) with four rebounds, three assists, four steals, and three blocks.

Boston last played the Cleveland Cavaliers in a blowout, losing by twenty-two, 115-93 (boxscore) as they had no answer for LeBron James and his high level of excellence. The Boston Celtics were led by Paul Pierce's 24 points off 10-24 shooting to go along with his fifteen rebounds and two steals; and Ricky Davis' 27 points off 11-23 shooting with five boards and five assists. Mark Blount (21 points off 7-12 shooting with six rebounds and two blooks) helped. The Celtics did not play good defense and allowed the Cavaliers to score many points in spurts that created such a wide gap in the score.

Tonight, we will be playing one of the worst teams in the league composed of the decent players, though, who provide the Hawks with a nice foundation to build on. Joe Johnson is a versatile wing player who can play three positions very well (he can defend, shoot, pass, rebound, etc.). He actually was drafted by the Celtics. Josh Smith is an exciting small forward who provides athleticism, scoring, rebounding, and blocks. Marvin Williams was a key part of UNC's National College Basketball Championship and he can play both forward positions. Al Harrington is also a versatile forward who plays tough defense and can rebound and score. They also have a decent center in Zaza Pachulia. The Hawks are coming off four days of rest while the Celtics are playing a back-to-back. I believe the Celtics will win in a relatively close game. I think Blount will have to play well against a weak defensive center like Pachulia.

The probable starters for each team:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr></tr></tbody> </table>
Roster | Game Site | Team Stats | Schedule | Season Splits | Game Notes

Please visit the Atlanta Hawks Forum....
!

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
KingHandles said:
I bet we loose.

101-90

I don't think West will be starting.
Got to love the confidence. We're 4-6. We've been beaten by some of the better teams in the league, and you're going to come out and say we're not only going to lose, but we're pretty much going to get embarrassed by a winless Hawks team? :whatever:

·
Where he belongs...
3,814 Posts
Joe Johnson...sigh...what could have been...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't ever underestimate the power of the Hawks.

But still i'm predicting Boston will win 100-94 :cheers:

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lanteri said:
How so? I think Greene provides great defense with his lateral quickness and height and he is also good at creating on the fast-break. His shot is horrid, but I think he's a very good point guard for a second-rounder.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Josh Smith is going to give Paul Pierce a lot of troubles tonight with his superb athleticism, defensive ability, and shot-blocking skills.

Orien Greene with a strange play and almost loses the ball, but hustles and gets it back.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lanteri said:
Prime example right there. He's got 3-4 inches on Lue 1 on 1 on the break. He should have taken it to the basket himself.
I agree, but it looked like he was fouled.

Still a good play to hustle and save the ball from going out of bounds.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, Pierce with a tremendous look ahead on a 'fast-break' (though, the Celtics had four players to the Hawks' five). He recognized that Blount was ahead of the pack and made a perfect lead pass to him for a monster dunk by Blount (showing some emotion).

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about that Orien Greene pass, eh Lanteri?

The Celtics' offense is executing well and playing as if they are on a fast-break when the Hawks have all their players back. Greene, like Pierce, passes ahead to Blount who, after a nice spin move, lays it up.

Blount is looking good; running the flooor. Greene has two assists.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bad play by Pierce on a fast-break. Once again, he tried to do too much and lost care of the ball as he dribbled through the Hawks' transition defense and missed a hard layup.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts