Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Wow. Excellent work, schub :greatjob: Much props.

The Sixers are an unpredicatble side. They beat the Spurs the other day and stopped their 14 game winning streak. AI is back and he has the ability to win games single-handedly. The Nets will look for Veal to step up in the absence of Martin. I don't think Griffin will play. Philly is one of the top 3-point shooting teams, and Kyle Korver will be the focus of everyone's attention!

It may turn out to be an ugly game between one of the better defesive teams in the league. The Nets should win this, even in the absence of Martin. I'd love to see Zoran get some minutes. Kidd has been in playoff form and if he can continue to play like that, there can be only one outcome.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they can't re-sign Pack until Saturday, so I'll be real curious to see if Byron goes to a 3-guard rotation throughout or if he gives ZP a shot in the 1st half at least.

If Kittles can slow down Iverson, the Nets should be in good shape. I didn't watch any Sixer games without Iverson. Where the heck did they get any points?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Nice job, schub. Kyle Korver with a .467 3FG%, huh? I guess he IS the all-time NCAA 3-pt shooter, after all. I hope the money the Nets got back from that yard-sale has been well-invested.

76ers with a ready-and-able Iverson can bite and the game is on Philly turf. They've lost a chunk of their 00-01 EC champ identity with Larry Brown, but the core of the old crew is still there. With AI back to lead them, they'll try to show the Nets the 76ers are going back to the top of the Atlantic. AI is their only star, but they've got parts, from scorers, to 3-pt shooters, to tough-nosed utility guards, to a shot-blocking center, to veteran rebounding forwards. If AI is doing his thing and the team is clicking around him, they can do damage. The key for the 76ers is to defend and not turn the ball over, like the Brown 76ers.

For the Nets, they should be favored to win as the best team in the EC. The questions will be at PF with Martin on his forced vacation. The 76ers, with the likes of Kenny Thomas and Marc Jackson (on IL?), have active bodies to throw against a fragile Nets PF corps. DC is enough of a wily vet to explore the gimpiness of the Nets' PFs, as well. Also, if the Nets bigs, including Twin, are slower rotating on help because of their injuries, AI might decide to do a little exploring in the paint himself. A-Train is finally coming back from his groin injury, and he won't be 100%. Veal could barely control his legs after his injury and it remains to be seen how he'll move against the 76ers' bigs. If either A-Train or Veal hurts the team, Rogers will have an opportunity to win back his job. If Rogers can't deliver, we just might see Eddie Griffin play a lot sooner than planned.

It's a good week for the Nets, with just this one game before what will be a tiring stretch. They need the rest, practice and recuperation. If there's only going to be one game, it might as well be a challenging, interesting game.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Philadelphia forward Derrick Coleman (knee) and guard Aaron McKie (hamstring) sat out Wednesday's game. McKie, who has not played the last five contests, is expected to miss tonight's game, while Coleman is questionable.
http://www.wokr13.tv/sports/nba/livescores/game.aspx?sched=3206

But now Williams is available after missing 10 games with an injured groin.

"I'm feeling good. I don't think there'll be any problems," Williams said. "I'm back into the fire. I got hurt and other guys picked it up. We have guys out, so everybody has to pick it up."
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/44656.htm

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
It's been so long since I've watched a game. I'm really looking forward to this one. The sixers can be a good team, but some nights they don't show up. I think the nets should win this one, even without kmart.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Without AI or with a sub-par AI, the 76ers are a pile of spare parts. With a motivated, good AI and those parts falling into place correctly, the 76ers can be a challenge. McKie being out hurts them - he's up there with the top utility guards in the game, a notch above Lu.

Too bad the 00-01 76ers weren't kept together, when they still had Raja Bell, George Lynch, Ty Hill and Deke. Tough guys, tough character team, led by the most fearless player in the NBA.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Rogers starting this game? :dead: Looks like Veal is still injured. Any news on that? I cannot watch the game.:cry:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Rogers, huh? Not just Veal - A-Train has started at PF, too, so that might mean something. Good and bad. If Rogers can show something positive, he can raise his trade value. That's a good thing for Thorn and the Nets.

By now, it's difficult to say he can ever earn his way back to a regular spot in the rotation. Beyond my own opinion, it's pretty hard for a guy to play himself out of Coach Scott's rotation. That says something, especially when replaced by a less-talented player.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Terrible first Q.

I am looking at the boxscores. Outrebounded 6-17 by the second worst rebounding team in the league!!! Big Dog 15 points, Nets 17 points!!!

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Not sure. One of our other forumers should tell us at halftime.

Indeed, Big Dog with 15 points.
Outrebounded 20-7 now. Shooting 30%. Something is wrong. Down by 16 with 3 minutes into 2nd Q.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Waiting for an update from someone watching the game.

Trailing 38-55 at the half. Shooting 30% and giving up 53.8%
Outrebounded by 13. Big dog 24 points on 11/15 shooting:dead:

Hope some respectability is restored.:cry:

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
One of the more disgusting first half's Ive seen. EVERYTHING done horrible by the Nets. Seriously, not one thing positive. RJ is getting torched by Glenn Robinson.

Scott should get fired for even thinking about starting Rogers, let alone actually doing it.

When you hold AI to 4 1st half points and are down by 17, you know youre sucking it up big time.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Rogers may be the worst player in the league. 1/7 from the floor. Someone find it out, Rogers HAS TO be the leader in the league for most missed layups.

BTW, we look like the worst defensive team in the league in this game.

I'm seriously thinking about not watching the 2nd half. This is disgusting, horrendous, and every other bad word you could think of.

WE NEED KENYON.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!
Scott should get fired for even thinking about starting Rogers, let alone actually doing it.
A-Train has just recovered from a groin pull and Veal is playing injured so maybe Scott wanted to bring them off the bench.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
A-Train has just recovered from a groin pull and Veal is playing injured so maybe Scott wanted to bring them off the bench.
I'd rather have Armstrong or Zoran or anyone else on the floor, in place of that waste, Rogers. BTW, I know he's somewhat injured, but Veal has sucked it up also. Actualy, everyone has sucked it up tonight.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm not sure why he started Rogers over Veal. I guess he like's Scalabrine's energy off the bench. Still, he could have gone with a short rotation and not used Rodney at all. My guess is that he's giving Rodney these 2 games without K-Mart as his last chance.

Nets were absolutely flat tonight without K-Mart. He was definitely missed. Robinson, and most of the Sixers for that matter, were just on fire in the first half. The Nets defense was not there, and Philly got a lot of easy baskets too.

Rebounds: 48-30. Ugh. The Nets missed 49 shots and only got 5 offensive rebounds.

The Sixers did a good job getting back and containing the Nets' fast break.

Kittles and Jefferson were solid, but they were quiet performances. Kidd forced some shots, and he just didn't get it going.

A-Train was a little rusty, but it was a pretty good game for him having missed the last 10.

I was pretty impressed with Dalembert.

Planinic was only in for garbage time, and not enough that you could get a good read on him. On his first touch, he was a little out of control going towards the basket and threw it away. His 2 points were on an uncontested lay-up on a fast break feed from Pack.

Collins looked much healthier tonight than he has in the past few games. He hit a couple of mid-range jumpers and seemed to be getting up and down the floor a lot easier.

Armstrong looked terrible. He shot 3 line-drive 3-pointers that each hit the front of the rim.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Kudos to the 76ers. Defense, took care of the ball and the parts clicked into place around AI. Good job by Dalembert. Super-long wingspan, quick and athletic is a nice combination. The 76ers played a sharp, energetic game and the Nets didn't.

A team with a shot-blocking presence at the foundation of a tough defense seriously disrupts the Nets offense. When the motion offense is broken, who's going to create scores? And, where have we seen this play out before?

I don't recall the Nets playing this badly the last time K-Mart missed a start. Of course, Veal and A-Train started at PF those games. Rogers was actually one of the better Nets, which says something about the team's play. An effort was made to put Rogers in the points column. It didn't work too well. In character to the end, though, Rogers swished two straight Js with the game safely out of reach.

I'm not going to look at the box score until after this post just in case a Net came up with respectable stats, because no Net deserves to be excepted from the poor team showing. A-Train put in a nice effort, but he was rusty. Veal tried to make some plays, but otherwise didn't look like himself. His leg problems were most obvious in his lack of lift; it's hard to say how else they bothered him.

RJ was smoked by Robinson. For all his improved offense, RJ's defense has slipped quite a bit since he was a bench forward. Hopefully, tonight will serve as a lesson about the price of holding back on defense to save energy for offense.

AI versus Kidd. AI won this round.

AI is back and the 76ers are ready to take back the Atlantic. The Nets better pick up the pace because the race for the AD is on. This loss is a good lesson about not taking success for granted, which should help make for a more productive 4 days before the Wizards game.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

Planinic was only in for garbage time, and not enough that you could get a good read on him. On his first touch, he was a little out of control going towards the basket and threw it away. His 2 points were on an uncontested lay-up on a fast break feed from Pack.

Armstrong looked terrible. He shot 3 line-drive 3-pointers that each hit the front of the rim.
I still think Planinic and Pack have the potential of complementing each other. The problem is neither has a reliable jumper, and either would have to play with Harris in significant game situations.

With Armstrong, I didn't mind the missed shots so much as his rejection of team offense. When the ball touched his hands, you knew the next place it was going was the rim.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts