Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bucks can be a difficult team to beat, as they have shown recently. We're back at full strength, playing as well as we have all season. We should win this, as long as we can keep Kukoc and Joe Smith in check.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
No full preview today. I'm slacking. :D

I'm curious to see if Byron goes with Planinic before Pack tonight, and how Rodney performs after his breakout performance last night.

Kenyon should bring a lot of energy coming off his suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am unable to watch the game but it seems that Planinic was playing 2 alongside Kidd. With his size, that's a good idea, especially since his dribble still seems to be weak. This is a game we are more comfortable playing than the Bucks, who like to score a lot. Train has gone 3-3 so far. Hope to see a better half by the Nets.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Damn. Everything fell apart after Scott took Kidd out with over 4 minutes to play in the 3rd. Basically, everyone played horrible with the exceptions of Martin and Williams. Kidd played a good overall game, but overall did not have a good game. The Nets other than Martin and Williams, combined to shoot 16 of 52. Im wondering when the switch is made to put Aaron in the starting lineup. Collins had a nice game, but I just like Aaron on the court more than Jason. The only downside is that Aaron is our only spark off the bench. If Griffin can come in and prove to be a spark, then maybe Williams can be moved to starting C.

Because I dont like him, Im going to blame the game on Scott. Why cant this coaching staff ever prepare us for Toni Kukoc?!!:upset: He kills us every single time.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How often have we seen Scott come up with a nice play at the death and the team executing it?

This loss is on Scott. As much as we shot badly, he let the bench squander a 10 point lead. Even in the last 6 seconds, we had a chance.:sigh:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ok, Kidd hit the game winning shot against the Pistons in ast years playoffs. But, other then that, do you ever remember seeing Kidd hit the game winner? I sure as hell don't, yet he still keeps taking them. Kittles and Harris are better shooters then Kidd, why not let them have it??

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
Ok, Kidd hit the game winning shot against the Pistons in ast years playoffs. But, other then that, do you ever remember seeing Kidd hit the game winner? I sure as hell don't, yet he still keeps taking them. Kittles and Harris are better shooters then Kidd, why not let them have it??
I think Kidd doesn't take them voluntarily-- plays are called for him (or at least, that's my impression; Byron is too rigid about this:devil: ).

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Partly, Kidd takes the final shots because he is The Man on the Nets and the primary ball-handler. Partly, Kidd takes the shot because he is the closest thing the Nets have to a creative scorer. Harris and Kittles don't create. The Nets are notoriously bad at game-winning plays because so much of the responsibility is placed on Kidd, and it's not really his strength.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True but why can't a play involve Kidd making a pass (to KK or RR, say) since most teams now expect him to take the shot. He knows too many tricks, and shooting the basketball, is not one of his strong points. He's The man for us but he is no McGrady, Pierce, Bryant or Cassell. I would still put the blame on Scott. Kidd does try but it's not something he's good at.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!

Can't the same be said about Byron Scott. :laugh:
Yeah:laugh:

If he could be a little more imaginative, at least try different things, it would be o.k. More or less, in these situations, it's a "Jason, take the ball and do something" type of play. Now, Michael Jordan could execute that play but Kidd:cry:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The Bucks are a team with talent, and it looks like Porter has them playing with some heart. With no Gadzuric, I thought the Nets would have had a bigger advantage inside. The Bucks weren't a big team with Gadzuric out, but when they're physical with their length and athleticism, they can be resilient, even when their offense sputters. At some point, Veal probably should have been thrown into the frontcourt mix just for his hustle, fouls and physical style.

Is there any bench player who hurts the Nets as much as Toni Kukoc?

Nets outside shooting took a night off. This game illustrated how much the team has come to rely on RJ's improved scoring. In a game he was off, the team couldn't find enough offense. Kittles, Harris and Kidd also struggled to find shots in the offense.

Once again, Kidd was a step slow on the 2nd game of a back-to-back and Ford is awfully quick. Planinic's inability to handle the ball against pressure hurt him. The rookie can pass, but if he can't handle the ball against PG-level pressure, it's hard for him to run the offense.

It will be interesting to see what Scott will do about the bench. Pack and Veal both dropped from primary back-up roles to DNP-CDs, but neither the rookie nor Rogers distinguished themselves. Obviously, Scott prefers Rogers' superior talent, but the focus and effort are inconsistent. Hopefully, Eddie Griffin will be motivated to give his 100% every night. A-Train looks revitalized, athletic and strong, and a refreshingly assertive post presence.

The Nets are climbing the ladder after their extended break. A bad Wizards team followed by an above-average Bucks team. Next, the best EC competition in the Pacers. Then, they take it the next level against the Mavs as a WC uber-team prep to finishing against the defending champs. With the team relatively healthy and rested, this is a nice mid-season sequence of games to gauge the team.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I doubt he will play against the Mavs. His arraignment is due on 20th, I think and it was postponed to that date just because the Nets would be in Texas around that time. I think they might play him in a home game to start with.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Yeah, Griff has to be on the IL for at least 5 games, so he's not eligible to come off until San Antonio. I agree with Aurelino, in that we probably won't see him in uniform until they return home against Boston next Sunday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts