Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
horrible fast break...where he gets a rebound and walks it up the floor with 3 guys ahead of him. Although he's made some stupid moves (especially those 2) he's had a hell of a game, he has kept himself under control, and wasn't dribbeling the ball much. Just one note Paul, STAY INSIDE THE ARC.

Someone is listening to Tommy too much.
First of all, he never walked the ball up the court. Didn't happen.
The play where Tommy said he shouldn't be dribbling it all the way up the court he actually went hard to the basket and drew a foul.
Even if he hadn't, there wasn't a single Celtic up the court ahead of him, let alone three. What Tommy wanted him to do was hand the rebound over to a guard when he first got it, which is fine, but it isn't fast break basketball. When the pass has been available up the wing, Pierce has been making it consistently.

Also, just because there are players up court, doesn't mean there is a passing lane to get the ball to them. Half the time Tommy screams "LOOK UP!!.......LOOK UP!!" There are defenders setting there just waiting to pick off a pass. Drives me crazy when Tommy does that.
The guy knows what he talking about as far as X's and O's go. But he gets a bee in his bonnet and then harps on it the rest of the game whether the complaint is legit in that instance or not.
It's almost like he's trying to prove to the listeners that he's always right.
One thing I've noticed is that Gorman has been calling him on it occasionally this season. Not very forcefully, but he is calling him on it when he starts getting carried away.

As for Pierce staying inside the arc, O'Brien calls all the plays. Maybe you and Tommy should take it up with him?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Big John

I wonder if that is the first time Ricky Davis was ever inserted into a game for defensive purposes lol.
Nope. It wasn't even the first time since he's been a Celtic.
They used him for his defense down the stretch against the Hornets and against Indiana, probably some others that aren't coming to mind right now.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Human Pogo Stick?

I thought we traded Kedrick.

Oh well, someone is confused. Great game Waltah, as usual! You know, Jiri Welsch is playing pretty well. He is a pretty good player. Nice job, Danny. :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
He Lied

Here is what Steve Francis said in the Houston Chronicle about not getting the ball to Yao into the post in last night's game:

"It was tough to get the ball in," said Rockets guard Steve Francis. "We tried and tried and tried."

No they didn't.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
No, Davis was reinserted right at the end when Houston put all of their 3 point shooters out there.
You misunderstood me, but this is what I meant:

I wonder if that is the first time Ricky Davis was ever inserted into a game for defensive purposes lol.
No he was never inserted into a game for defensive purposes because he's always aready been in the game before the last few seconds.

;)

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bball4me</b>!

Someone is listening to Tommy too much.
First of all, he never walked the ball up the court. Didn't happen.
The play where Tommy said he shouldn't be dribbling it all the way up the court he actually went hard to the basket and drew a foul.
Even if he hadn't, there wasn't a single Celtic up the court ahead of him, let alone three. What Tommy wanted him to do was hand the rebound over to a guard when he first got it, which is fine, but it isn't fast break basketball. When the pass has been available up the wing, Pierce has been making it consistently.

Also, just because there are players up court, doesn't mean there is a passing lane to get the ball to them. Half the time Tommy screams "LOOK UP!!.......LOOK UP!!" There are defenders setting there just waiting to pick off a pass. Drives me crazy when Tommy does that.
The guy knows what he talking about as far as X's and O's go. But he gets a bee in his bonnet and then harps on it the rest of the game whether the complaint is legit in that instance or not.
It's almost like he's trying to prove to the listeners that he's always right.
One thing I've noticed is that Gorman has been calling him on it occasionally this season. Not very forcefully, but he is calling him on it when he starts getting carried away.
No, I haven't been listening to him too much...maybe you weren't watching the game right?

There was clearly 3 guys in front of him on one play very far from the two defenders....and he does what dribble? Thats the way to go...

As for Pierce staying inside the arc, O'Brien calls all the plays. Maybe you and Tommy should take it up with him?
Ironic, when I said that to defend Toine it always got overlooked, "Its Toine playing, not OB". Well here it is "Its Paul playing not OB".

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Re: Human Pogo Stick?

Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
I thought we traded Kedrick.

Oh well, someone is confused. Great game Waltah, as usual! You know, Jiri Welsch is playing pretty well. He is a pretty good player. Nice job, Danny. :)
Yes we did trade him, but the Pogo Stick is still on this team.

"As usual"? Yeah if he played like that every night he'd be maximum paid.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Unneccessary bashing of Houston guards.

Yao Ming has just not been playing well lately. Francis and Mobley had strong games, especially in the 2nd half. Celtics use their smaller post duo to get in front of opposition centers, especially big guys like Yao Ming. He wasn't getting any positioning at all. It's time to realize that Yao Ming has been in this league long enough and has to start making adjustments if he is going to be a pillar stone for this franchise. Gumby is unimpressed with his timid behaviour in the paint and unless he begins to throw some elbows around, the opposition won't give him any respect and continue to 'shove' him out of good positioning.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Walter McCarty shoving someone out of position? He couldn't shove Earl Boykins out of position.

I hope Francis and Mobley have "strong games" again on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Re: He Lied

Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Here is what Steve Francis said in the Houston Chronicle about not getting the ball to Yao into the post in last night's game:

"It was tough to get the ball in," said Rockets guard Steve Francis. "We tried and tried and tried."

No they didn't.
Exactly. How hard is it to get the ball to a guy who's seven inches taller than his defender?

I loved that dunk by Mihm over Yao, though. I really don't know why Yao didn't challenge it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Bball4me!

Ironic, when I said that to defend Toine it always got overlooked, "Its Toine playing, not OB". Well here it is "Its Paul playing not OB".
First of all, I wasn't around here last season so you couldn't have been talking to me.
Secondly, two very different things.
With your example of Antoine it is shot selection, that has nothing to do with play calling and is never a coaches decision unless he's screaming "shoot it" from the bench.

With the first example and Paul the complaint is about where he is getting the ball, which is play calling and is quite obviously a coaches decision when he is calling all the plays.
Therefore, like I said, you have a problem with were Paul is getting the ball you should take it up with the coach.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts

First of all, I wasn't around here last season so you couldn't have been talking to me.
Secondly, two very different things.
With your example of Antoine it is shot selection, that has nothing to do with play calling and is never a coaches decision unless he's screaming "shoot it" from the bench.

With the first example and Paul the complaint is about where he is getting the ball, which is play calling and is quite obviously a coaches decision when he is calling all the plays.
Therefore, like I said, you have a problem with were Paul is getting the ball you should take it up with the coach.
Wow.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts