Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Nice job on the preview, schub.

The last 4 games made for a good test of ascending quality of teams, from an above-average EC team (Bucks), to the top EC competition (Pacers), to one of the WC uber-teams (Mavs), to the defending champs (Spurs). Nets were smacked on every step of that climb. It was a cold dose of reality.

The team needs a few easy games to recover themselves and rebuild their W-L record. Starting tonight in Miami, they'll get four of them before travelling to Houston on the 31st. Given the tumult over the sale of the team, it's probably a good time for the Nets to be on the road, too.

The Heat game is not quite a 'must-win', but it's important to win against a lesser team after the 4 losses. (A must-win at this point would be keeping the team above .500 and/or keeping the team in 1st place in the AD.)

I hope to see more Williams and less Collins. I hope Scalabrine is returned to the 3rd forward role and plays more of the pivot. I hope Scott stops using the awful Harris/Kittles backcourt, whether that means more Planinic or Pack. I hope the starters are paced better and receive more rest.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Caron Butler/RJ and Odom/K-Mart match-ups should be fun to watch. Rafer Alston has been starting with Dwayne Wade injured. I haven't seen him play much in the NBA, and I didn't realize that (fellow Hokie) Bimbo Coles was still around.

I will be saying a small prayer at game time that Scott goes to Scalabrine before Rogers.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
After Kittles' 30 point burst against the Spurs, the Jones/Kittles match-up might not to be too shabby, either. If Twin can't do something against the donut in the middle for the Heat, the Nets need to look even harder at the C position.

I can't think of a single quality player on the Heat bench now that Skip is starting for Wade. Rasual Butler . . . John Wallace . . . Malik Allen . . . or is Brian Grant coming off the bench now? Bimbo Coles collecting his final player's checks before he goes into coaching. Haslem is coming off a nice game. At least the Nets bench won't be outclassed tonight.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
I just got home in time to see the final score, 64-85. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe Rod Thorn will finally realize this team wont get it done. Make some trades and make them FAST.

·
Registered
546 Posts
we have no help at all from the bench. our starting center had no points. that aint gonna get it done to win the nba championship, let alone the east. we need some help, and we need it fast. this is the heat biggest margin of victory this year. we need a legit bench. we need something.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
the Heat are just better....bottomline

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worst game of the year. Worse than losing to Memphis by 47.

Kidd looked absolutely horrible. When he wasn't throwing the ball away, he was shooting bricks. Its amazing, though, that he came pretty close to a triple-double.

Kittles and RJ's jumpers have completely disappeared.

No bench whatsoever.

Low point of the season. 21-20. :sour:

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
i think this is a good time to bring up who out of Odom and Kmart deserves the last all star foward spot more, because its going to come down to these 2 imo

Points and rebounds are very close between the 2. but odom has a lot more assists.....Odom gets more double teams as well...but Kmart is on a winning team so it will be a tough decision between the 2

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
That was a very bad game by the Nets against a not-so-good team. schub, I agree - low point of the season, worse than the Grizzlies blow-out.

I have a separate post about the bench, but while y'all are killing the bench, read my defense - just for the Heat game.

Starters . . . in 40 minutes, Kidd shot 4-19. In 37 minutes, Kittles shot 3-12. In 42 minutes, K-Mart shot 4-9. In 38 minutes, RJ shot 5-14.

Now, bench . . . in 26 minutes, A-Train shot 3-5. In 15 minutes, Veal shot 2-4, including 1-2 from 3 (Kidd hit the only other Nets 3, 1-4).

Since the starters were shooting abysmally and these two were hitting their shots - the few they took - how come A-Train and Veal were only given NINE combined shots? Remember, they aren't point guards - someone needs to run plays with them on the receiving end before they can provide bench scoring. From what I saw, Veal and A-Train did their jobs as well as they could under the circumstances. Don't blame them. Blame an awful starting unit, blame Rogers and Lu, and most of all, blame a clueless coach.

I guess I can write another long post discussing this game. It would be a very, very long and vitriolic post, and I don't want to write it. Suffice to say, schub said it right: worst game of the year.

They Nets climbed back from the Memphis game. How many more times can they do that?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I want to cry. Now I will have CB message me for a while about this one.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!
the Heat are just better....bottomline
The bottom line is the Heat kicked butt on the Nets last night. You get bragging rights for one day. Your team earned that for you.

There's still a big picture, though, and the 2-time defending EC champs still occupy a big piece of it.

The Heat caught the Nets on a low point. I expect the team to rise again, even if it takes a while and a few changes. The Nets still have the best player in the EC on their roster, after all.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think I'm quite lucky that non of these U-G-L-Y games got aired on the network. Still, reading the final score was more painful than those guys got nailed in their naked butts in that one stupid show in MTV.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
I think I'm quite lucky that non of these U-G-L-Y games got aired on the network. Still, reading the final score was more painful than those guys got nailed in their naked butts in that one stupid show in MTV.
The loss was almost entertaining because the quality of play was SO bad from the Nets as a team (again, I think Veal and A-Train were exceptions), the game actually stood out as something different in the same way one doesn't get to see a 10 car pile-up happen on the way to work everday.

One thing I wanted to point out from the long list of bad things that happened in the game.

Last season, the team's success owed much to consistent defense and rebounding. Okay, no new revelations there.

It's easy and relevant to criticize the offense, but you know what? The motion offense really hasn't worked great since the 01-02 season. I don't consider that part to be the main culprit of the Nets' slide.

This season, I think the greater concern is the inconsistent defense and downright poor rebounding. To me, the disintegration of defense and rebounding - along with Kidd, the foundation of the 2-time EC champs - is much more worrisome because it points blame at what used to be the rock-solid fundamental character of the team. Same personnel. The difference is a plunge in team-wide discipline and its children: effort and execution. The Nets never overwhelmed team with talent and big margins of error. They've out-worked teams as a team, and it doesn't seem like they're working as hard or well together anymore.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
2nd thing to point out . . .

Dead legs.

RJ got tired last season, so we know he isn't a 40 MPG type of player, not to mention the international competition. And, he's been playing a lot this season. He depends on lift to get off his jumper and his jumper has gone AWOL for the last stretch of games. Defensive effort is lagging, too. I think the guy is just tired.

Kidd looked tired last night, too. Missing jumpers, not driving by defenders, opting for bad shots instead of creating, even missing FTs.

Can't say about the others - maybe Kittles was tired, too. It seems to me RJ and Kidd have hit a wall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts