Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Celtics are entering the half way point at an even .500 at 20-20. The averageness has be noticed in the last 10 as they are 5-5. Last night they were defeated by the Bucks of Milwaukee, 111-103. Richard Davis led the team in scoring with 33 on 13-21 shooting including 3-4 from three and 4-6 from the line. To go with those points, he pulled down 5 rebounds and got two steals in 32 minutes off the bench. Paul Pierce had 22 points on 6-17 shooting, 3-7 from three, and 7-8 from the line. To go withthat he had 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals and a block in his 43 minutes. Mike James put up 15 points on 6-9 shooting, 2-3 from three, and 1-1 from the line as wel as 9 assists and 2 steals. Mark Blount had 12 points and a career high 13 rebounds and shot 6-12 from the field. Marcus Banks had one of his best games as a pro with 10 points on 4-6 shooting, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals. Chris Mihm wasn't his usual self with 5 points and a mere 3 boards. Jiri Welsch sucked with 2 points on 1-7 shooting.

But only when he holds Yao Ming to 6 points on 2-5 shooting, as he did when the Celtics successfully took on the Rockets last Sunday with a 4 point victory, 97-93. Waltah also had a season high 21 points on 7-15 shooting including 5-10 from three and 2-2 from the line to go with his 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals. Jiri Welsch had another terrific game with 21 points on 7-8 shooting including 3-3 from three and 4-4 from the line to go with 5 assists and two steals. Paul Pierce led the team in points with 27 and boards with 8. Employee number 34 shot 7-15 from the field, 2-4 from three, and 11-12 from the line. The boys in the shiney white pajama uniforms were led by Jim Jackson's 26 on 8-13 shooting, 6-9 from three and 4-5 from the line to go with 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals. Steve Fancis had 19 points to go with 7 assists and 7 rebounds. Cuttino Mobley had 15 points, but was 1-7 from three. He also contributed 5 rebounds and 8 assists. Mo Taylor led the bench with 15 points and 4 rebounds.

The Celtics were outrebounded in that game by 12 and they still won in a game that didn't seem particularly close. The Celtics won because they went up against a team with a 7 foot 6 inch, 300 pound giant in the middle and didn't get spanked in points in the paint, 26-24 Rockets. There are those who will say that it was hard for the Rockets guards to get Yao the ball because the 6-9 McCarty was fronting him. Here's a math problem boys and girls, Yao is 7-6, McCarty is 6-9. Mr. Francis, Mr. Mobley, ever hear of a high lob? So long as Francis and Mobley shoot 17 shots a piece or something in the 15 shot range and Yao gets only 6, the Celtics will win again.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Van Gundy is a good coach. He will make adjustments. The C's strategy of fronting Yao with McCarty is unlikely to work twice in a row.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
I'd rather put Mihm or Blount on Yao. I think Banks should start tonight. I think if we run, we have a chance on winning this game.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Van Gundy is a good coach. He will make adjustments. The C's strategy of fronting Yao with McCarty is unlikely to work twice in a row.
Coaching doesn't matter if your players don't listen. I don't see Francis and Mobley listening and passing it to Yao. Its not a difficult thing to do. I could handle it. Just put the ball over the guy. I don't think its Van Gundy as much as it is that Mobley and Francis won't listen.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!
I think if we run, we have a chance on winning this game.
I say that every game. But they almost never do it. To run, you have to rebound. Ah, there's the rub.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!

I say that every game. But they almost never do it. To run, you have to rebound. Ah, there's the rub.
That's why I want Banks and Davis in there. Also, if we can keep Houston, a very good rebounding team, off the box we can get more rebounds. Blount and Mihm are our two best active rebounders so they should get a fair share of minutes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
damn, Yaos' getting some touches. If they keep that up, we are in trouble, nice to see Blount sitting after scoring some points:upset:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well, Ainge was the guest color commentator for the second quarter and managed to say absolutely nothing for 20 minutes. He loves all the players, loves Jim O'Brien, loves the team and loves Yao Ming.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
It was nice seeing Hunter getting some time. Two rebounds while blocking out Yao, who had 15 on the night. Nice Brandon. At the end of the game we had more Cavs then Celtics playing? :eek: ;)
I liked Banks tonight, and I think Ricky did some nice things even while struggeling with shooting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
yeah, and obie didn't. Not that Paul helped the cause at all. positives were James, Blount and to a lesser extent, Davis. After that:cthread:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Paul is injured even though that's not an excuse. It's a bad game so far, they spanked our *** like what we did to them last time. Hopefully, we'll win our next game and see Hunter more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Something is wrong with his finger. If you read the herald today, there is news about his index finger and ring fingers on the left hand. I think it affects his agressiveness a little bit, but still no excuse for today's lost.

I can't even barely watch the game, people started booing when Blount missed his last shot. He got plenty easy looks but couldn't finish them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts