Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ABC has Mavs/Kings at 1:00, so I guess that's why YES is showing it on tape delay. When I looked at the schedule last week, it showed no TV for this game, so I ordered tickets. :D

I'm real curious to see the crowd tomorrow. I expect a pretty big one because its a weekend and the Celtics are a rival. Hopefully, there will be a little of a buzz and the New Jersey fans will show how much they care about this team.

The Celtics are all Paul Pierce. Slow him down and you control the game. Its time for Kidd to step up and energize the team and the crowd.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The upside of the losing streak is that this game against the Celtics has suddenly become a dramatic 'must win' game, both to stay above .500 and remain in sole possession of 1st place in the AD. Stopping the slide and breaking the losing streak would be a nice accomplishment, too.

Yesterday, I would have said the Celtics are an easy opponent, but that was before a blow-out loss to the lowly Heat. Now, it truly is open season on the reeling 2-time defending EC champs. I doubt the Celtics will be merciful. Let's see how much fight the Nets have in them.

Interesting decision for Nets fans. Root for a loss that rumor says could mean the end of Scott as the Nets coach? Or, root for the team to take the 'must win' from the Celtics, although it could mean saving Scott's job?

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Nothing like a game agaisnt the celtics to snap a downward slide.

20 points, 15 rebounds for Kmart.
10 points, 11 assists, 9 rebounds for Kidd. (although he had 7 TO's and was 2-12 from the field and 1-4 from the line).
25 points, 7 rebounds for RJ.
12 points, 8 rebounds for Collins.
14 points, 6 rebounds for Lucious.

Nice game. We really needed a win and we got one. Hopefully this will turn things around.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty well-played game from the Nets. Lucious and Rodney were big off the bench. Rodney actually dove on the floor after knocking the ball away for a steal. Maybe the highlight of his year. I think it came with about 1:00 left in the 1st quarter. I still don't know why Byron went to him before Veal, though. He also went with the 3 guard rotation again.

I don't know why Byron was ejected (late in the 3rd). He must have said something real bad, since Javie tossed him with just 1 technical. It was a 14 minute coaching audition for Lawrence Frank. ;)

Kidd didn't play that well, but he came real close to a triple-double again. He wanted it too. Near the end of the game he crashed the defensive boards. He would have had it too, but Hunter's shot rolled around the rim and in right before they brought in the bench.

Kittles was still struggling with his jumper early on, but I think he shot better in the 2nd half.

Twin was solid, but he still lost a couple underneath the basket.

Early in the 2nd quarter, Lucious made a crazy bank shot when he was fouled. RJ hit a 25 footer at the buzzer to end the 3rd, and had a nasty windmill dunk early in the 4th. Several allley-oops throughout the game - a couple on high-low passes from A-Train. Plenty of highlights to keep you interested if you watch the tape-delay at 6.

I'll post some pics and a video soon.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Haven't watched the game yet. Taping it right now.

Read about it on-line. Sounds like the Nets put in a nice effort all-around and even Scott was fired up. This game really wasn't about the opponent. The Celtics are as bad a team as the Heat. It was about the team's pride and the fight they have to stay above .500, stay on top in the AD and fight off the wolves.

Glad for the win, but still dismayed to see Rogers holding onto his role and Veal receiving garbage PT. I rewatched the sorry Heat game, and Scalabrine was actually the Net of the game, with respect to K-Mart's point total. He played hard and executed, defended well, and generally did his thing. The team's 10 minute comeback effort started with his entrance and the team entirely fell apart after he was pulled. Oh well, it's apparent where Scott wants him. Veal may need to pull a Brad Miller at some point and establish his career on a team that will use him, and use him correctly.

Impressive stat-line. Looking forward to checking out Lu, especially, and the star forwards.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ToddMacCulloch11</b>!
Nothing like a game agaisnt the celtics to snap a downward slide.

The Celtics suck right now and I knew NJ would school them. (Thanks Danny Ainge) but I wouldn't bragging so much that you beat Paul Pierce and the Massachusetts JV league. This wasn't any kind of test for you.

Every time you guys beat the Celtics it proves my point about Danny Ainge being an idiot. .:laugh: I win either way (with a loss or a win)

Congrats

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple of other observations:
The Nets (mostly Kittles) did a great job on Pierce. He did not get many open looks.

Scalabrine did play the high post on one possession at the end of the 1st half.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

Scalabrine did play the high post on one possession at the end of the 1st half.
The humble beginning of a great career as the Nets pivot? ;) I guess, proportionally, one possession is significant in 4 minutes of game action.

Just watched the game. It was a good game for the Nets, but I would only characterize it as worthy of cautious optimism. I agree with lastlaugh. The Nets deserve to be congratulated, but they didn't beat a quality team. The Celtics were a mess. Their STARTING line-up was 1James, 2Pierce, 3Welsch, 4McCarty and 5Blount, which says enough by itself, AND they executed poorly. Their only bright spot of the game was Ricky Davis, who is a Stephen Jackson level scoring talent.

The Nets deserve praise for three things. 1. The effort on both ends was greatly improved; much of the victory was due to the Nets simply overwhelming the Celtics with energy and assertiveness, which overcame 29 TOs and enabled the Nets' superior talent. 2. They had a good strategy of attacking the Celtics' donut interior, and they rode it to a 20 point lead. 3. Lucious Harris played a solid all-around game, a throwback to last season, with nice shooting.

I expected to include Rogers on the praise-worthy list, but besides his 9 early points, his floor game was typical Rogers, especially his scatter-shot passing. In my mind, Lu made a statement defending his role - Rogers didn't. (Of course, Scott defends Rogers' role well enough without Rogers' help.)

This win doesn't mean the Nets solved their problems. Many of things the Nets have been doing badly, they did badly in this game, too. They would have lost to a good team. The differences that led to the win were the Nets' exceptional effort level and the poor level of play by the opponent.

The 76ers, who are having their own problems, should be a better test if they can muster enough of their roster. DC is out, which is big, and AI, Big Dog and Kenny Thomas are hurt. If the 76ers can put it together for Tuesday, they have the quality veterans and interior presence to punish the Nets if they continue to play poorly.

I don't mean to minimize the effort aspect of this game for the Nets. That was a big improvement from what we saw over the losing streak. It's a legitimate cause for hope. They need to work hard - and smart - to continue moving forward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts