Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Celtics are two games under .500 tonight as they take on the Wizards of Washington at North Station. The Celtics last played Tuesday night in Miami and won by two, 86-84. Paul Pierce led the team in scoring with 29 points to go with his 8 boards and 3 assists. Mark Blount had a terrific game with 16 points on 7-10 shooting to go with 7 boards (6 offensive). Walter McCarty had 14 points with 5 boards in his inexcuseable 46 minutes of action. Mike James had 9 points and 5 assists, and Jiri Welsch rounded out the starting five with a poor game, finishing with 8 points (1-9 FG, 6-7 FT), 6 boards and a steal. Ricky Davis had 7 points off the bench and Marcus Banks had 3 and a very impressive steal. Mike Stewart played ten minutes and fouled twice. Baker, Jones, Mihm, and Hunter did not play. The Celtics rebounding was awful as they were outboarded 52-34 and gave up 7 offensive boards to Udonis Haslem. The Celtics as a team had 8.

The Celtics and Wizards have not played this season, nor did they play in the preseason.

The team formerly known as the Bullets are 12-28 on the year and 3-7 in their last ten (that's consistency folks). The Wiz however have won their last two and defeated Chicago by ten on Monday. Larry Hughes led the team with 25 points and had four boards and 2 assists to go with as well as a steal and two blocks. Hughes, however, shot 9-25 from the field. Impressive rookie Jarvis Hayes had 12 points and an astounding fourteen rebounds. Kwame Brown had 12 points and 8 boards but shot a mere 2-6 from the floor. Juan Dixon led the bench with 17 points and also had 5 assists. Etan Thomas (who I desperately want in green) had 13 points and 7 boards to go with three blocks. Brendan Haywood had a mere four points, but seven boards including four offensive.

Kwame Brown is averaging 9.5 points and 6.7 boards on the year, but has been doing very well over the last five games with 13.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg, and 50% shooting. Larry Hughes has been leading the Wiz with 19.1 ppg with 4.9 rpg, but a .9 A/TO ration. Jarvis Hayes has impressed with 10.8 ppg and 4.8 rpg, but has 14 and 13 rebounds in his last two games (both Wizard wins). Etan Thomas has been the board man with 7 a game to go with his 8.2 ppg and 44% shooting. As a team, the Wiz are being out rebounded by 1.7 a game and out scored by 5.1 a game.

This just in to the agoo News Desk, Vin Baker has been suspended indefinately by the Celtics for failing to stick with his alcohol treatment program.

The Celtics will have to work on keeping the Wizards' big men off the boards. While they're not spectacular, they are big, Brown, Thomas, Haywood, Jeffries, and Laettner (who is eligible to come back from this suspension today). If those 5 stay on the boards, the Celtics will not be able to take advantage of their backcourt advantage and lose this game to a team they should be blowing out.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
9 rebounds by Blount at halftime. 46-37 Celts at the Break.

McCarty: 7,5,2 He showed up Today!!

Hughes is penetrating through our help "D"

Ricky D: 6,4,3.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
GREAT way to start the 2nd Half..

Three by Pierce

Fullcourt Pass by Davis to Mike James for a layup.

51-37

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Wow! We're going to blow this!

How many turnovers in the 4th? This is awful! Somebody make a basket, please!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Go wizards

comeback baby

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
This one is basically over: After a Scare: 96-87 Boston with 1:15 left.

Mark Blount: 14/13
Ricky: 14/7/5
Pierce: 24/4/4

Most importantly:

Hunter: 6/4 and a THUNDERING dunk

Nice effort by everyone.

5 Celtics in Double Figures..

Great Ball Movement..

Good Win!.................................:D

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Brandon hunter: 6 minutes, 6 points 4 rebounds
Walter McCarty: 31 minutes, 7 points, 6 rebounds

Hunter's second offensive rebound and putback was a thing of beauty. As I've said a million times, this kid has great hands.

Thank God Obie took that pathetic stiff McCarty out at the end and put Davis in. Otherwise, they might have lost the game.

Maybe they ought to bring the Couz back to coach this team. At least he knows a good player when he sees one.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
1 Game Below .500!

(I can't believe I just said that with enthusiasm)

Hey, maybe if we have a good April: 39-43!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
We need Mihm on Sunday

And as Big John would certainly agree, the numbers don't lie. Brandon Hunter has done everything asked of him. He should play more as well.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Re: We need Mihm on Sunday

Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
And as Big John would certainly agree, the numbers don't lie. Brandon Hunter has done everything asked of him. He should play more as well.
The numbers sometimes do lie. But not tonight. And quite apart from the numbers, McCarty's crap floor game, inability to box out Brendon Haywood or Laetner, and his bad handles were one of the major reasons why Washington got back into the game.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Didn't cathc thegame, but judging by box score, great all around-effort. I like Hunter's stats, very nice, and Blount looks liek he had a monster game, though the Wizards are not the best team, it is a win, and it seems as if the load was shared by a bunch of guys, can I get an overall impression from someone that watched??

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well, they were lousy in the first quarter, played well in the second and third to build up a big lead, and then played like crap in the 4th to let the Wizards back into the game. Praise the lord, but Obie finally took McCarty out with about 4 minutes to go-- after McCarty had absolutely stunk up the floor for about 3-4 minutes-- and inserted Davis. Ricky hit a big shot and we coasted after that. The Wiz kept fouling Welsch, but he kept making them to maintain the lead.

Gameball to Mark Blount, who rebounded exceptionally well. It's the first time in recent memory that the Celtics actually outrebounded an opponent.

Vin Baker was not missed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm so mad I don't get to watch Celtics' games. :upset:

But judging by the box score results, Mark Blount can put up very good numbers when given minutes. 30+ minutes and he gets 14 and 14. I love it!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Well, they were lousy in the first quarter, played well in the second and third to build up a big lead, and then played like crap in the 4th to let the Wizards back into the game. Praise the lord, but Obie finally took McCarty out with about 4 minutes to go-- after McCarty had absolutely stunk up the floor for about 3-4 minutes-- and inserted Davis. Ricky hit a big shot and we coasted after that. The Wiz kept fouling Welsch, but he kept making them to maintain the lead.

Gameball to Mark Blount, who rebounded exceptionally well. It's the first time in recent memory that the Celtics actually outrebounded an opponent.

Vin Baker was not missed.

Thanks for the recap John. I really like how Blount fits here, he is actually from my area (Westchester County in NY) and I occassionally followed him when he played for Dobbs Ferry, never though he would be playing for my C's though, and to finally outrebound an opponent, oh how sweet it is :grinning:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Good work guys. You got a solid effort from most everyone who played, and probably should have ran away with the game. I've always said that the Wizards have only one really good quarter in a game, and it just happened to be the 4th in this one. Sadly, one good quarter isn't enough when you've been outscored by 19 in the other three.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Good work guys. You got a solid effort from most everyone who played, and probably should have ran away with the game. I've always said that the Wizards have only one really good quarter in a game, and it just happened to be the 4th in this one. Sadly, one good quarter isn't enough when you've been outscored by 19 in the other three.

Thanks man. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts