Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at 1:00, the Nets will be taking on the Celtics in New Jersey on a game that will not be televised. Boston area fans can listen to the game on WWZN-1510 AM-The Zone with Cedric Maxwell and Sean Grande (?).

Them Celtics last played on Friday at home against the Wizards and won, 100-89. Paul Pierce led the team in scoring with 24 and also had four boards, four assists, and four steals. Mike James had 16 points on 6-9 shooting, including 2-3 from three, to go with his five assists and two steals. Jiri Welsch can't shoot anymore, but had 13 points (2-9 shooting), as well as six boards and four steals. Mark Blount was probably the player of the game for the Celtics as he put up 14 points, 14 boards (5 offensive), as well an assist and a steal. Ricky Davis also had 14 points, 8 boards (5 offensive), five assists, and a steal. Brandon Hunter was impressive in his seven minutes with 6 points, 4 boards (2 offensive), and a steal. Your favorite and mine, Walter McCarty had 7 points on astounding 3-10 shooting with 1-7 shooting from behind the arc to go with six rebounds and three assists.

Overall, this was a game that really shouldn't have gotten this close. The Celtics were up by nine at the half and by nineteen after three. The Celtics were up by as many as 24, but were outscored 30-22 in the fourth.

The Nets are 21-20 on the year and 4-6 in their last ten. Currently, they're riding a five game losing streak and, like the Celtics, last beat Washington. However, since then, they lost by three to Milwaukee, six to Indiana, thirteen to Dallas, twenty-three to San Antonio and most recently, on Friday, they lost by twenty one to Miami, 85-64. Kenyon Martin led the team in scoring in that game with 16 to go with eight rebounds and three steals. Richard Jefferson was the other forward with 14 points on 5-14 shooting to go with his nine rebounds. Jason Kidd had nine points to go with nine boards and eight assists, but had five TOs. Kerry Kittles shot 3-12 from the floor and finished with eight points and had a rebound and two steals. Aaron Williams off the bench had 8 points and five boards. Miami had seven players in double figures, including Wang Zhizhi. New Jersey never led in this game.

The Nets beat the Celtics by 7, 94-84 in the C's third game of the year. Since it was the third game, Kedrick Brown, Vin Baker, and Tony Battie started, Raef LaFrentz had 23 minutes off the bench and Walter McCarty had 4 minutes. Eric Williams was active but didn't play. For Jersey, Alonzo Mourning played 25 off the bench and Kenyon Martin was injured so this game is pretty much irrelivent. However, in the last Boston tradition, Jason Collins, arguably the worst starter in the NBA, had 19 points and 13 rebounds.

The Celtics can win this game if New Jersey continues to play poorly has they have and work to extend their streak to six. The Celtics have the seven guys that can get double figures on any given night like the Heat did. However, they will have to work hard to outrebound the Nets, like the Heat did. Hopefully, Hunter will be used to keep Collins and Williams off the boards while Blount and Mihm focus on Kenyon Martin.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Terrible, they are playing really bad, outrebound, turn it over too much, and leaving too many open shots.

It's hard for us to win today, PP is foul trouble on the first half having 2 fouls already.

If we don't get a win, I hope they allow Hunter to play more valuable minutes so he can learn from his mistakes and show Obie he's our best rebounder.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well, just looking at the box score, it seems like Hunter is the one bright spot - 7 minutes, 4 rebounds (2 offensive). In comparison, Blount has 19 minutes, 4 rebounds (1 offensive), and McCarty has 18 minutes, 2 rebounds (0 offensive). I think OB seriously needs to reconsider his allotment of playing time.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been watching the NBA Courtside Live thing for about the last five minutes of game time. We've been getting eaten alive on the boards by Richard Jefferson mostly. Paul Pierce has, I think, five turnovers in that time. Byron Scott just got ejected. And now, Waltah is replacing Hunter, the one rebounder we have.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ricky shows us again, He can produce if you let him take his shots ! .. It takes PP pretty much the same number of shots to get his points also .. Davis shot 19 shots and came away with 26 points.

Hunter had 7 points, 9 Rebounds !! Get em Brandon.
Not sure what Perkins did though :( ..

Hunter Maybe a Starting spot in the future ?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PhearDaPierce</b>!
It takes PP pretty much the same number of shots to get his points also

it does? Pierce took almost as many shots and scored half as many as Ricky. It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that Pierce without Antoine is not the same at all.

The Celtics got TOOLED on! we suck. Obie should be fired guys. By now he should be using this lineup consistently

Welsch
Davis
Pierce
Hunter
Perkins

Banks/James, Blount/Mihm pick up the rest of the minutes and that's it. Obie is just biding his time now.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The Nets turned the ball over 29 times and still won by 19. They outrebounded the Celtics 55-32. Blount and McCarty combined for 8 rebounds. Hunter had 9 and played fewer minutes. I'm glad they didn't televise the game because I think it would've been too depressing. The Celtics just cannot match up against the Nets. I remember a time when Pierce had his way with the Nets. Martin may have owned Walker in the playoffs last year, but without Walker, Pierce can't do anything against them.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!
The Nets turned the ball over 29 times and still won by 19. They outrebounded the Celtics 55-32. Blount and McCarty combined for 8 rebounds. Hunter had 9 and played fewer minutes. I'm glad they didn't televise the game because I think it would've been too depressing. The Celtics just cannot match up against the Nets. I remember a time when Pierce had his way with the Nets. Martin may have owned Walker in the playoffs last year, but without Walker, Pierce can't do anything against them.
3 games, not playoffs. ;)

On the positive side did anyone watch the Mavs and Nets a few days ago? :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
Outrebounded 55-32 (You have to love McCarty-3 rebounds in 33min)!
3 point shooting 4-23 (Pierce 0-7)!

Well, I guess not much to say about this game. It was as usual-we played horrible!
The only good thing was Hunters rebounding and that Obie gave Perkins a chance in the last 4 minutes! I still cant believe it! We were down by 20 and he put Perkins in instead of Stewart!?!

Obie is on :fire: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!

3 games, not playoffs. ;)

On the positive side did anyone watch the Mavs and Nets a few days ago? :D
I did:)
Walker proved again that the only reason Kenyon out played him was because of his injuries. Walker out played Kenyon in that game and scored the key points and got the key rebounds when the game was down to six. Kenyon's points all came after they were down by 10 plus.

It really does amaze me that people took 3 games when a player was injured (not to mention when the guy he thought wanted to get rid of him was hired only to be proven right when that guy was in charge)and took that to mean Antoine would be outplayed by Martin forever.

Back to the subject, The Celtics will never beat the Nets again if this team is the best we get. No one on the floor deserves to be starting on any NBA franchise (except Pierce) and they prove that every game. Even if they shoot 3 for 4, How many starting players take four shots a game?
That won't work when you have one guy on the floor willing to shoot the ball.
How many times did we say last year we need a third scorer? Now we have only 1.
Someone needs to start shooting the ball more (not in garbage time)

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!

Well, I don't know what you're up to Monday, March 29, but you should do this again on that night.
Buy me tickets and I'd be happy to. I have tickets for 4 more games, but that's not one of them.

And the better seats you get me, the better pictures I produce. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.