Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The John Carroll era started off with a three point loss Wednesday night against Detroit, 106-103. The Celtics were led by Paul Pierce (shock of shocks) who had 26 points, 5 boards, and 7 assists, as well as a steal and a blocked shot. Pierce had his biggest impact from the line where he went 10-11 and the team shot 30-33. Jiri Welsch broke out of his funk with 19 points on 5-10 shooting to go with his three boards and the same number of assists. Chris Mihm had 16 points on 5-8 (5-5 in the first half including four dunks), to go with 9 boards (5 offensive). Mark Blount had 12 points and 9 boards (3 offensive). The Celtics managed to outrebound the Pistons in total 41-36 and on the offensive glass, 10-7. The difference in this game was that the Pistons shot ten more foul shots and hit seven more than the Celtics managed. The Pistons hit four more FTs than the Celtics took.

The Knicks enter town with a 20-27 record, but are 6-4 in the last ten. They are 6-6 with Stephon Marbury. The Knicks last played on Tuesday against San Antonio and lost 77-67. Stephon Marbury led the team with 19 points to go with 5 boards and 8 assists as well as three steals. Kurt Thomas had 11 points and 12 boards. Othella Harrington was the other double digit man with 10 points to go with his two boards. Keith Van Horn played only 18 minutes in this game and is questionable for tonight's game. Allan Houston is out of this game and could be done until mid-February.

That is a great help to the Celtics becuase the Knicks are down to Stephon Marbury as the lone scorer because of injuries to Houston and Van Horn. Marbury has averaged 16.8 ppg and 10.3 apg since arriving in New York twelve games ago. If Marcus Banks can do a job on Marbury like he did on Steve Francis in Houston, the Celtics can win this game. This is also a game that the Celtics should win.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
This is a huge game if they want to make the playoffs-- a potential 2 game swing against a team breathing down their necks.

Marbury has the talent to go off for 40 points, but that's against the odds. If Marbury plays his usual game, the real key will be putting a body on Kurt Thomas. Win the battle of the boards, and you will win the game.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
This is a huge game if they want to make the playoffs-- a potential 2 game swing against a team breathing down their necks.

Marbury has the talent to go off for 40 points, but that's against the odds. If Marbury plays his usual game, the real key will be putting a body on Kurt Thomas. Win the battle of the boards, and you will win the game.
We say that every game, and we still usually get outrebounded by the other team..Hopefully, it will be different tonight.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Blount has been perfect..4-4 from the field..4-4 from the line. 12 points out of the 16 the Celtics achieved in the 1st half..23-17 Knicks through one.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The crowd is booing and shouting "We want Bruno!" This is truly the low point of the season. The nadir. The basement.

Bruno scores!! A few more baskets and he'll outscore Pierce.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sometimes all you can do is laugh it off.
The one word that keeps popping into my mind is pathetic.

I am sorry but they are trying to lose on purpose. There is no way we can be that bad.
Some people might respect losing games on purpose but I don't and Celtics Pride was never supposed to be about blowing games to get a lottery pick. I would understand if there was another Tim Duncan in the draft but there isn't.

Okafor from UConn has a bad back and while he is no Tim Duncan he is about the best we could hope for in the draft and to lose on purpose (pure speculation but it sure looks like we are losing on purpose) for a guy who plays in pain every day?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If you think tonight was bad, wait until tomorrow. I'll tell you one thing. Kendrick Perkins ain't ready-- and neither is John Carroll.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think C's the worst team in NBA. Let's demote them to NBDL. We'll surely be a champ.

I am so pissed the way they are playing.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I don't believe they lose on purpose!

I really cannot accept that the C's lose on purpose. NOPE! There is something else going on and none of us know because we're not on the team or in the trenches.

This game tonight was <b><font size=7>Pathetic!</font></b>

I''ll have to return to talk about this game when I'm not so :upset:

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
If you think tonight was bad, wait until tomorrow. I'll tell you one thing. Kendrick Perkins ain't ready-- and neither is John Carroll.
No he didn't look ready tonight at all. But I'll tell you what, Hunter and Mihm are, and so is Walter but he's ready for the bench.

How does a 11.3 million dollar player miss a dunk when his team is down by 20 points? EZ points don't count? And how come a team can blow at least 12 fast break points?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I miss Walker on this team, but he is the best player on the Mavs so far this year. :)

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
I miss Walker on this team, but he is the best player on the Mavs so far this year. :)
Dude...you're just trying to make this moderator job harder on me right now, aren't yoU?

Fortunately, I managed to fall asleep through most of this game. Seems like I didn't miss much at all.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Now you are blaming John Carroll and Kendrick Perkins?

First it was Paul, then Walter, Then Jim and now Carroll (okay so you didn't use the words blame but you implied them)
Are you ever going to blame the guy who put this pathetic team together or will you blame everyone else just to avoid what is right in front of your face?

This team is not more talented and will never be a Championship team. Not in Ainge's 3 year plan (or 5 years depending on the "fan" you talk too)

This was such a pathetic effort it had to have been done on purpose.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Why was Mihm taken out? Was that some sort of power trip by Carroll?

Why WASN"T Pierce taken out after he missed the jam? Double standard or what? That's no way to coach. I feel really, really badly about the way this game was coached. Carroll doesn't "get it" any more than O'Brien.

Was there ever an NBA coach who was fired before even winning one game? We may be creating a trivia question here.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
LIKE I SAID PREVIOUSLY....

Why was Mihm taken out? Was that some sort of power trip by Carroll?

Why WASN"T Pierce taken out after he missed the jam? Double standard or what? That's no way to coach. I feel really, really badly about the way this game was coached. Carroll doesn't "get it" any more than O'Brien.

Was there ever an NBA coach who was fired before even winning one game? We may be creating a trivia question here.

There is a heck of a lot more going on than any of us know about on this team - but one thing I do see plainly is that there is a LACK of "heart". I feel for Pierce, his team is not put together well for him at all when you think about it. I am becoming increasingly disturbed with Ainge's decisions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
This team is not more talented and will never be a Championship team. Not in Ainge's 3 year plan (or 5 years depending on the "fan" you talk too)
Yes it is.

3 years.

Jiri is a player.

Paul and Ricky are players.

Mihm and Raef are adequate.

this season is a wash, so lets see what ends up happening by all star break next year before we judge.

that should be your mantra.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Originally posted by <b>adamatic</b>!

Yes it is.

3 years.

Jiri is a player.

Paul and Ricky are players.

Mihm and Raef are adequate.

this season is a wash, so lets see what ends up happening by all star break next year before we judge.

that should be your mantra.
I'm right with you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts