Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<center>

New Jersey Nets (25-20) at New Orleans Hornets (26-21)

Monday, 02/02/2004, 8:00 PM EST
New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, LA
TV: YES, CST, NBALP

Previous Meeting:
11/18/03 - in NJ - Hornets 88, Nets 85

Baron Davis - 25 points, 9 rebounds, 12 assists
David Wesley - 20 points, 6 rebounds
George Lynch - 9 points, 17 rebounds
Hornets - 19 Offensive Rebounds

All time:
Hornets lead 32-26.
Hornets lead 19-9 at home.
Hornets have won last 3.

NBA.com Preview </center>

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But they played without point guard Baron Davis, who aggravated a sprained left ankle in an 85-82 loss at Philadelphia on Friday. Davis is listed day-to-day.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/020204/spo_stretch001.shtml

I would guess Davis is a game-time decision. I kind of hope he does play. I'd like to see the Nets beat them with all of their talent on the floor. Well, as much of their talent as possible. Wesley is out for a couple of weeks.

I'm curious to see if Frank goes to Zoran again tonight. I'm hoping he'll put him in when Davis comes out of the game. I think his mistake on Saturday was putting him in against Francis, instead of waiting until Mark Jackson came in. Armstrong will not be an easy match-up for him either, though.

Mashburn will be a great test of Jefferson's new defensive commitment. Magloire might be a tougher test for Collins defensively than Yao was. He gets more than 3 offensive rebounds a game. Twin needs to keep him off the boards. K-Mart and PJ Brown should be a great match-up.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
It seems like the Nets have been lucky this season catching teams when their best players are injured. I guess it balances out, considering all of the Nets' short-handed games.

I hope Baron Davis plays. It's unfortunate enough that David Wesley is out. For a team with championship aspirations, the Nets ought to face teams at their best. As a fan, I want to watch the most entertaining game possible and learn what I can. Blow-outs aren't as entertaining nor educational. This game isn't as good as it could have been, but the Hornets are still a competitive, above-average team.

The Nets should win. I hope Scalabrine gets to play, and if he happens to get hot, I hope plays are called for him.

I think Armstrong would be pretty tough on the rookie. He's a wiry athlete and a tough, veteran PG. Still, if we expect Planinic to contribute on a championship level, we can't expect to match him up with YMCA league PGs every night. The kid's gotta learn sometime.

Let's see - DA is starting for Wesley right now. That leaves Tierre Brown, late of the NDBL, as their back-up PG? Or maybe Steve Smith. Planinic should be able to do some work tonight.

With the M-Jax thing, I got the feeling JVG and LF played a cat and mouse game. JVG knew LF wanted to pull Kidd when M-Jax came in, so he left in Francis. LF eventually inserted the rookie anyway, who was then exploited by Francis. JVG eventually inserted M-Jax after LF pulled Planinic. LF declined to use Planinic the rest of the game. The game within the game, a match of wits between coaches.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
doesn't Kenyon usually struggle against there size...i seem to remember him having some tough games.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Nets go on a 40-19 run after franks technical. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Interesting:yes:

·
Registered
903 Posts
We are playing very well in 2nd halfs of games with Frank as coach. First time going 4-0 on 4 game road trip with Kidd here I think. Go Nets!!

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Talk about balanced scoring.

Kittles- 16
Jefferson- 15
Kidd- 14
Martin- 13
Rogers- 13
Train- 12

34 assists on 39 FG's. An absolute dunkfest in the second half. We outscored them 60-33 in the 2nd half. Im lovin Coach Frank right about now.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This game resembled the Houston win in some ways. The Nets really stepped up the defensive intensity in the 3rd quarter. It led to bad shots and turnovers, which led to easy baskets. Throw in some hot shooting from Rogers and Kittles and you have a blowout.

Kidd didn't do much in the 1st half, but he was a catalyst in the 2nd. He had his mid-range jumper going, and he led the defensive push with 6 steals.

Kittles came out firing with 2 jumpers to start the game, but then went quiet for the rest of the half. The fast break really helped get him going in the 2nd.

RJ had another good defensive performance. You could really see him working hard on Mashburn, holding him to 13 (a few of those actually came late when the game was pretty much over).

K-Mart was solid. He was struggling a little in the post, but that was probably due to the defense of Brown. The box shows him having 5 turnovers, but one of them should go to Planinic on a post-entry pass that went straight out of bounds.

Twin had some trouble with Magloire, but he played solid D the whole time. You have to give Magloire a lot of credit for hitting some really tough shots early on. Still, 4 steals from Twin. He hit a couple of short jumpers, and had 2 more go in and out.

Great game from Train. I was a little baffled to see Collins come back in with 4:40 left in the 2nd when Train was playing so well, but then Twin quickly picked up his 3rd foul.

We've been talking about Zoran and Veal needing consistent minutes, but Rodney wasn't really getting consistent PT either. Maybe, with some consistent minutes, Rodney will develop back into a consistent scorer.

I thought Zoran was pretty solid in his 1st half stint. I was hoping it would have been a little longer. He followed his own miss for an offensive board that resulted in a A-Train dunk. I also think he did a decent job defending Steve Smith in the post. In the 2nd half, though, he had the aformentioned bad pass, and then he gave up 2 straight offensive boards to Darrell Armstrong. Also, I noticed that Kittles was bringing the ball up the floor when Zoran was in the game.

Hubert Davis actually looked pretty good bringing the ball up during garbage time. He was brought in as insurance for Lucious, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they give him another 10-day as insurance for Zoran.

I can't remember the last time the Nets had 5 bench players in at the same time not in garbage time. For about 3 or 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter, he went with a line-up of Planinic, Harris, Scalabrine, Rogers and Williams. Veal and Rodney ran a nice little give and go for a bucket. They then ran an iso for Rodney and he hit train for a jumper. I think that line-up might have been a +2 while they were on the floor.

First ever 4-0 road trip in Nets history. When asked about it in the post-game, Frank of course gave credit to the players, "This group has been setting a lot of Nets records. This is just one more." Man, I love this guy.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
he is almost too good to be true...To get this job as an unkown at 33 has to speak volumes about the guy. he reminds me of myself.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Wasn't there a time when the Nets struggled in the 2nd half of games? 60-33. Not bad, not bad at all.

I was disappointed Baron Davis didn't play tonight. Yes, the Nets D was tight, but the Hornets are one uncoordinated team without their starting backcourt. This isn't the same team that beat the Nets. Since when did Darrell Armstrong become such a bad passer? He looked like Robert Pack with a jump shot. I'll credit RJ for defending Mashburn, but Mashburn is still working himself into game shape. Brown had his moments. Magloire did work - he's about the only Hornet that came to play. I don't know what's happened to George Lynch - I'm used to him playing a bigger role.

Kudos to Rogers. There was nothing wrong with his game tonight, except maybe his board work - but that's a minor gig. He was sharp, especially his passing, and except for some soft help inside, his defense has been solid. When he's focused and gives the effort, he has the talent to get results. He made good decisions, which isn't always the case, either. If Lawrence Frank can inspire Rogers to focus on his job every night, I have to concede him the role. The next step in Frank's Rogers reclamation is consistency.

Unfortunately, the other side of the bench reclamation project isn't looking so good. Lu and the rookie combined for 0-6 in 20 minutes of uncomfortable looking play. For the 2nd straight game, Planinic played SO bad, Frank pulled him before he wanted to - and he didn't come back for garbage-time, which could be a sign. Kidd played 40 minutes in a blow-out - not good. If there's one faction that's responsible for the poor bench production this season, it's the guards.

Davis looked frisky handling the ball in garbage-time. I still would like to see what his 3 point shot looks like - Veal tried his best to serve him up, but didn't quite get there. I don't know how much longer Frank will stick with Planinic before Davis gets his shot to work in meaningful game action. I would expect that to happen on Wednesday.

Williams is back. Solid 23 minutes with an A-Train type game. He only has so many moves, just enough to last him around 20 minutes. They worked tonight. Twin had a letdown after his defensive gem on Yao, but that's why we have the A-Train.

Solid game by the rest of the starting crew, and the 3rd quarter run was fun to watch. I almost felt sorry for the Hornets while the Nets were steamrolling them, but I don't feel sorry for teams that give up - and the Hornets gave up. Good rest all around, except for Kidd. Kittles was aggressive again, showing off for the home folks. He was probably over-eager in the 1st half; he missed a bunch of shots in the paint, which is not his comfort area in the half-court.

As for Veal, 7 minutes of pretty much standard fare. Made a lay-up off a cut over a defender, which Twin and Rogers can tell you is not as easy as it looks. On defense, Veal doesn't look like the same aggressive, instinctive help defender he was earlier in the season. He's still a solid defender, but tends to hesitate before leaving his man, which results in late rotations.

The Lawrence Frank train keeps chugging along. He's added more excitement to following this team than even a trade for an elite player would have done.

The Wednesday game will be a juicy revenge match against the hot Heat, this time at home. I'm sure Thorn will be fired up to beat the team that compelled him to fire Scott.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts