Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Jim O'Brien era has ended in Boston. Tonight, John Carroll leads the Celtics from the bench against Larry Brown's Pistons. The Celtics were 0-2 this season against the Pistons. But that was before. The most recent game was a 10 point lost, 78-68, on the fifth of this month. In that game, Paul Pierce led the way with 27 points to go with six boards and five assists. Ricky Davis had 1 off the bench to go with four boards and was the second leading scorer. Walter had nine points and nine boards, but four turnovers and shot 3-14 from the field (3-12 from three). Mark Blount also had 9 points, but had 8 boards (6 offensive) to go with them. The Celtics had an awful shooting night, 24-82 (29.3%) from the field. Because of that, they were better on the offensive boards than the Pistons were (16-10), but were outrebounded by two. The Pistons were 34-83 (41.0%) from the field and 1-12 (8.3%) from the line.

Detroit was led by Richard Hamilton's 15 points to go with six rebounds. Tayshaun Prince had 13 points and five boards. Elden Campbell matched Prince's 13 and 5. Ben Wallace was a monster on the glass with 16 rebounds (4 offensive), and 12 points. Darko did not play.

In this game, look to see more playing time from all rookies involved, Banks, Hunter, and Perkins in white and Darko in blue. Despite having quality big men in Memo Okur, Elden Campbell, and the all-star Ben Wallace, the Pistons are a team that can be outrebounded. Wallace averages 13.0 a game, but Okur's 6 are second and Tayshaun Prince is the only other Piston above five boards a game. If Pierce, Banks, Davis, James, and Welsch focus on driving to the hole in this game, Campbell, Rebracca, and Okur could get in foul trouble which leaves the Pistons with one guy, though the best in the league, with total responsibility to block shots and rebound. If that happens, the Celtics could win this game.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Go Celts.

Lets hope they can play the way the Nets did last night with their first game with the new coach.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LUMPI-44</b>!
new begining :D

(3:37) [BOS] McCarty Turnover: Discontinue Dribble (1 TO)
:D

I hope ure not referring to rasheed wallace in your sig. Cuz is you are, that's crazy, anyway

How do they look tonite? Anything different?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Terrible, no defense now. I think we can be a lottery team looking at how confused they are running the offense and defense.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
6 shots for Pierce. lol
I never thought I would see that happen in my lifetime.
We still have a quarter and a half to go though. So that could go up.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!
6 shots for Pierce. lol
I never thought I would see that happen in my lifetime.
We still have a quarter and a half to go though. So that could go up.
And it went up. lol I knew it would.
Don't blame Pierce for this loss. He had a decent night and he didn't have the costly turnover.

It was a team loss.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Not a bad effort, but McCarty still played too many minutes and stank up the court--again. Even Heinsohn is beginning to admit that Waltah sucks. Nice to see Jiri back. He need a few days rest.

I can't believe the refs bailed out Hamilton on that call. Tommy was wrong a couple of times tonight, but he was right to blow up at the refs over that one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hamilton has become a mini Karl Malone. Granted he is 140lbs, but he fell down like 3 times when he made contact with Jir and all 3 were fouls on Jiri. That was weak. After the last one he actually got up and was rubbing his quad like he was hurt. LOL

·
Registered
338 Posts
he's been around for 7 years or something i think so he should have some kind of relationship with the players already. He also doesn't have much to lose, so he can use the bench to get his message across, not to mention if players aren't playing right there is a good chance they will get traded!

·
Registered
91 Posts
He's been around for 7 years, but at this point the only players who have been around longer than just this year are McCarty, Blount, and Pierce.

I been hearing major rumors about them bringing in Doc Rivers.

What do ya'll think of him?

·
Registered
248 Posts
well, right now we are not in a good position at all even though we can still make it to the playoff. but, im just hoping that the rooks really develop well because we have nothing to lose now. if we make it to playoff, its good, if we dont, thats fine too, at least our rooks are ready to play next season. i really see the potential on hunter and perkins, maybe perkins is another year away, but hunter is really something, he has the talent to be a good rebounder, he just needs to develop on his shooting and low post game.

·
Registered
348 Posts
while. Hunter will get his minutes sooner then I thought. [/QUOTE

Ok guys here is my take on last nights game, a great effort, poor execution at the end of the half and beginning of third quarter.

problem area, and a big one.. waltah cannot defense a good pf. The key to the game was the lack of defense on mehmet...

turnovers were a problem..

questionable no calls on welsch on offense and outright dumb calls of charging where hamilton fell down and the lead changed.

Offense needs improvement, playing mihm and blount together may not be best as there is no backup. Why is perkins not playing instead of waltah??? His age perhaps?? Hunter will help but can be over manned at times by bigger guys..

they need to start davis, who playing with pierce should free paul up more or let ricky go wild. welsch can run second unit.. Have absolutely little use for mike james...

Banks needs to look for the pass first but with waltah there that leaves a free man to double team any offensive option... I would start banks...

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Mike James has made very quality big shots for us so I don't think you should knock him he is a VERY decent back-up, way more than I expected, however he should be our back-up not our starter. Kendrick needs to play, Mihm and Blount together were great but Kendrick should get the back-up minutes, not Walter.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>lastlaugh</b>!

Don't blame Pierce for this loss. He had a decent night and he didn't have the costly turnover.
Excuse me? Pierce had about five of them, including one very embarrassing play where Sura stripped him without benefit of a double team.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
A team hates to lose the close ones but this is not a bad loss.

Nice to see Mihm get the start and more minutes...he had a nice game.

We actually OUTREBOUNDED the Pistons.

Paul played good except for the turnovers. He needs to stop trying to play the point...he is NOT A POINT GUARD!!!!!

I really think it was a good all around game. The C's have nothing to feel ashamed about in this one.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bad Bartons</b>!

Paul played good except for the turnovers. He needs to stop trying to play the point...he is NOT A POINT GUARD!!!!!
Tell him that..It seems without Antoine, Paul seems that its his duty to be the Point Forward..

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Why, oh why doesn't Hunter get more minutes? He played well for the 6 minutes he was out there. It seems like they play the best when two big guys are on the floor - some combination of Blount, Mihm, and Hunter. As soon as McCarty gets in there, the inside game suffers and the defense suffers. Okur blew buy McCarty for an open layup. McCarty can't keep up with Okur? Sure, Okur's a good player, but McCarty lost him like he was Iverson or something. Hunter has some learning to do, but I just don't get the love affair with McCarty. He makes just as many if not more mistakes than Hunter. He's also cooled off a bit from 3 point land. At least his minutes were reduced to 22. I still think that's too much, especially at the PF position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts