Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<center>

Miami Heat (21-28) at New Jersey Nets (26-20)

Wednesday, 02/04/2004, 7:30 PM EST
Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, NJ
TV: YES, Sunshine, NBALP

Full Preview </center>

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely a revenge game. The Nets really stunk up the joint in Miami, the low point of the season.

Odom will probably be motivated. I'm not sure if he reads the boards here. ;)

It should be another ugly Eastern Conference game. The Heat are not a good shooting team, and the Nets have held teams to 39% and 75.5 PPG in the 4 games under Frank. Hopefully, they can rebound well, and get out and run.

Brian Grant is out, so the Haslem (6'-8") will see a lot of minutes. I'm sure we'll see a lot of Rodney at center. We'll see if Frank goes back to Zoran. He would have tough match-ups against Wade or Alston. Wade is questionable, though, with a sprained ankle. We just might see Hubert Davis with some non-garbage time.

The Nets need to contain Wang Zhizhi off the bench this time. :D

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!
schub I just wanted to say you put up a solid preview and I make sure to swing by and read it before every game. Thanks.
Well, thanks man. I'm glad it gets read. I enjoy doing them, especially since we have such an active forum here, but my wife (a PSU grad - I'm guessing you are too) doesn't quite understand it. I need to take her to more games. :)

I try to do them for every game, but it gets tough during the week, especially when they play on back-to-back nights.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Well, thanks man. I'm glad it gets read. I enjoy doing them, especially since we have such an active forum here, but my wife (a PSU grad - I'm guessing you are too) doesn't quite understand it. I need to take her to more games.
That's awesome your wife is a PSU grad. Don't worry, she will come around about the Nets. It took a little while and a few trips to CAA to get my gf into them (along with a strange fascination with RJ :no: ).

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Revenge match.

I hope Wade plays. Grant being out is not that big a deal, but he is a serviceable veteran, an interior defender/rebounder, who would help the Heat.

It looks like the Heat's perimeter talent, especially with Odom and Jones, is starting to come together, but they're still a flawed team. Stan Van Gundy is a good coach, and they're working hard. Not much inside. Caron Butler probably will need the rest of this season and off-season conditioning before he returns to where he was in his rookie season.

The Nets should win Thorn his revenge, but it'll be a grind.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Nets have to exploit their lack of bigs inside. The Heat is a very good pemeriter defensive team. Most of their guards, and even forwards, are good at distracting the passing lane. KMart and RJ must have a strong game for the Nets to win.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The interior question is interesting. The Heat will bring Haslem and Malik Allen at C, maybe some Wang Zhi-Zhi. I'm curious whether schub's prediction will bear out and we'll see a heavy dose of Rodney Rogers at the pivot.

I hope to see Hubert Davis in meaningful game action. The Heat guards will be a test to find out whether he can compete athletically. I'd also like to see a few 3-pt jacks before the Nets decide whether to keep or release him. I don't have high hopes for Davis as the answer, but I'd at least like to get a good look at him.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!

It took a little while and a few trips to CAA to get my gf into them (along with a strange fascination with RJ :no: ).
The ladies love the confident guy. A little OT, but my sister's friend went out with RJ in college(though she didnt go to U of A).:confused:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Darn. No Wade and no Grant. How many under-strength teams are the Nets going to play this season?

At least when the Heat blew out the Nets, there was no Wade and a sub-par Grant, so that's some consolation. The hotter the Nets play, the better I hope the opponents are, so we can judge this team against quality competition.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Poor final 3 minutes of the second half.

Lamar has been impressive, though it seems like the refs are in love with him. He must have traveled about 3 times in the first quarter, as well as the obvious O foul that the refs wouldnt call him on his 4th though. He has been impressive on O, though it is against (Rogers, and Jefferson, who is much smaller).

Rogers is looking like a taller, slower, heavier, less talented J-Kidd tonight!:yes:

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Who else thinks Coach Frank is going to lead us to a 40 game winning streak through the regular season?:yes:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!
Who else thinks Coach Frank is going to lead us to a 40 game winning streak through the regular season?:yes:
No, but we can all wish. What is making me happy is we are finally starting to beat the teams we are supposed to. That will make getting playoff positioning easier.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
6 in a row!

Pretty good win, but it would have been nice to see them really put it away early in the 4th against an under-manned, below .500 team. Miami has some talent, though.

The K-Mart/Odom match-up was interesting. They're really 2 different types of players. Odom used his quickness and length, going around K-Mart early. K-Mart used his strength, pushing Odom around down low the whole 2nd half. He got all of his points in the low post or on offensive boards. I thought this was one of the best passing games I've ever seen K-Mart have, too.

It was great to see Lucious get his rythem going. A-Train and Debo were both solid off the bench as well. That put-back by Debo was crazy! I don't know if you can call it a dunk, since he sort of threw it in the basket. :D

I though Zoran looked a little more comfortable tonight. The only mistake was a sloppy pass into the post to Train. He didn't hesitate on the 3, and I like his aggressiveness with the ball. He likes to take it to the middle, and try to draw and dish. Still, they had Kittles and Lucious bring the ball up when he was in the game. The most important thing, though, is that he played 10 minutes.

It was great to see RJ protect Kidd after the flagrant foul, and also good to see no punches thrown. :)

No Hubert. His 10-day contract is over. I'll be keeping an eye on the transaction page to see if they sign him to another Thursday or Friday. He was brought in as insurance for Lucious, who seems to be healthier now.

Good highlights on Sportcenter. They did a "Nets Top 5" plays.

Time to beat up on the Atlantic some more this weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts