Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<center>

Orlando Magic (13-38) at New Jersey Nets (27-20)

Friday, 02/06/2004, 8:00 PM EST
Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, NJ
TV: ESPN, YES, WRBW

Full Preview </center>

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
If TMac's not playing, should I rush back to watch the second half?:sleep:
Only if you're a big fan of Brandon Armstrong, Hubert Davis or Reece Gaines. :D

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

Only if you're a big fan of Brandon Armstrong, Hubert Davis or Reece Gaines. :D
Extended minutes for Planinic against a weak perimeter defensive team is worth watching. A good look at Davis is worth watching. Otherwise, not much.

Rod Strickland is an interesting case in that he's making noises that he wants out of Orlando, given the short time left in his career, to join a play-off team. The Magic likely will comply since he's a rental anyway and they would rather develop young players. He's proven he still has legs enough to play 10-15 MPG, and the fit AND the price is right - we very well could see Rod Strickland in NJ by the trading dead-line. His only negative is he's never been known as a shooter.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well, I've decided to ignore this 'once in a lifetime' opportunity (to borrow Francis' quote) and go out and do my laundries and get back to watch the Spurs-Kings. :sleep:

Zoran, Hubert, Rod...just don't generate enough interest in me.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Ah . . . but what if T-Mac DOES play and goes off?

Thanks for reminding me about the Kings-Spurs game. Watching the Kings motion offense is always educational and Duncan is just awesome to watch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe the starters can get a rest for this game. It really looks like a blowout in the third quarter.

Though i hope kidd gets a triple double before he rests.:)

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I missed most of this game, but I checked in and saw that we had 102 points at the start of the 4th.

Great game all around. Scoring distributed evenly, another double double for kmart and kidd, and another double digit win for Coach Frank.

I liked what I saw from Zoran tonight. He seemed to be a lot more aggressive at points. I saw him drive to the hoop a few times and make a few good passes. Hopefully he can keep up the strong play.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. Without McGrady, you'd expect a 20 point game, but something more like 95-75, not 120-99. Orlando played absolutely no defense, and the Nets shot 60%, and made 14 of 18 in the 3rd quarter!

Nets set the high in the NBA for the year with 41 assists. Their team record is 44. I though the interior passing was particularly good, with K-Mart, Train and Debo getting 11 assists between them.

Great to see the starters get some rest, but we'll see how Twin's toe is. His presence would be missed against Delembert on Sunday if he can't go.

Planinic had his best game as a Net. His defense definitely needs some work, but he was very effective on the offensive end. He did a great job of penetrating the porous Magic defense and either getting a lay-up for himself, or drawing defenders and dishing to the open man. The kid has a lot of talent. Its great to see him getting a shot. I think his 1st half stint, before the game got out of hand, was for 7 minutes, keeping Kidd on the bench for longer than usual.

Train, Debo and Lucious were also solid off the bench. Train benefited from the Collins injury for his season high, 17.

You can't say enough about the starters, either. Kidd goes for 18, 6 and 13, and the others shoot 69% combined.

Hubert still hasn't taken a shot. Armstrong actually went 4 minutes or so before taking his first shot. :eek:

Its a great time to be a Nets fan. Sit back and enjoy.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting story on how Frank motivated the Nets to face a bad team:

Frank's inspirational speech works like magic

The Japanese, he explained for those who had slept through their American history classes, had enjoyed naval superiority throughout the early part of the war and had gotten lulled into a false sense of security because of it. The Americans used that cockiness against the Japanese, intercepting their radio signals and eventually suckering them into a trap that cost them four aircraft carriers and turned the tide of the war.

And, Frank told his team, he was concerned the same thing was going to happen to the Nets.

"It's called Victory Disease," Frank said. "You put together a string of victories. And all of a sudden because of overconfidence, and because you start slipping on your attention to detail, you lose your edge. That's what happened to the Japanese.

"The point was: Don't let winning allow you to become overconfident. Don't let winning allow you to forget your attention to detail, the attention that allowed you to get those wins. Don't let yourself be like the Japanese navy."

And here's the part that was perhaps most surprising: Not that an NBA coach invoked a six decades-old naval battle to motivate his team.

But that it worked.

"He can tell a story quite well," Jason Kidd said. "He motivates us. He grabs our attention quite well."

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
It was a clinic, a destruction. Instead of a ho-hum win, we got to see something new and even extended minutes for the bench. It was a nice show-case of Nets basketball for the national audience.

The Magic played some good ball, relatively speaking, but they were entirely over-matched. T-Mac wouldn't have helped them. In fact, it looked like the rest of the Magic picked up their games and were more involved with T-Mac side-lined. The Nets defense was kind of lazy, but their offense just swamped the Magic.

Planinic was solid. His 'poor man's' Kidd skills are starting to resurface again. If he can be competent against back-up PGs now, that's a step forward. I'm looking forward to watching him work against the Pistons' guards.

Rogers is on the verge of becoming consistent. Even more than Planinic, he looks like a different player since Frank took over. I don't know what kind of pep talk Frank gave him. He should be the coach with a web site advertising corporate motivational speeches.

The last time we saw the bench mob, they were blowing a huge lead. This time, they held it together a little while and even increased the lead, up to a 31 point lead I think, before confusion, bad timing and lack of coordination dropped the lead down to 21 to end the game. As Walton noted, they kept trying to run the offense, which didn't work out for anybody. Nobody seemed able to receive the ball in a position to do anything with it. Interesting that Davis was held out until the end of the game.

Enough with the bad teams and the hurt (opposing) stars. I'm sure the Nets are chomping at the bit to take on some good competition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts