Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<center>

Philadelphia 76ers (21-30) at New Jersey Nets (28-20)

Sunday, 02/08/2004, 7:30 PM EST
Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, NJ
TV: YES, CSN, NBALP

Full Preview </center>

New look to the preview. I decided to take the images out, because the previews will be part of a Nets news site that I'm working on (hence the header), and I don't want to violate any copyright laws.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
AI is the wild card. When he's motivated, he's hot and the complementary pieces fall into place around him, the 76ers can do damage.

I feel bad for Iverson. Brown's departure hurt him the most because his team is built around him in a way that needs an exact kind of coaching to orchestrate. Ayers is stuck with Larry Brown's team and he's not Larry Brown. That's caused Iverson to take on an even bigger load, and more awkwardly than in past seasons.

The 76ers are coming off a bad loss to the Celtics, a 30 point blow-out. Worse, they're competing with the Celtics for the 8th spot in the EC.

I expect the 76ers to come out fighting tomorrow night. Their season is on the line right now. The Nets should win, but I think the game will be a surprisingly tough match.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, the sixers are at the tail end of a back to back, so that might make them an easier opponent. I think the nets should win easily. Hopefully, the bench can have lots of playing time again, so the starters can rest for detroit.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Good work on the site, looks nice, easy to read, easy to follow.

-Petey

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
Good work on the site, looks nice, easy to read, easy to follow.

-Petey
:yes:

:greatjob: to you, schub.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
he freakin rules.

Kenyon is a Major Key....He needs to maintain his torrid rebounding more than score...a game similar to the New Orleans game would really help us. This is mainly do to the mental aspect. When teams who rebound well against us are given the message...not today...well, we will win.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nets win again, and by double digits again too. Rodney Rogers is looking a lot better and more comfortable out there lately. I'd still like to see Veal get some more minutes though, especially with Collins out. Kidd got another triple double but played a lot of minutes tonight. Hopefully he will be fresh for the big game against Detroit.

8 game win streak!

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
It seems like Rodney Rogers had a problem with Scott too. I don't recall any time in his Nets career he had even been hot for 2 games in a row. Now?

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The Nets easily could have let this game slip away, with the winning streak and coming off a too-easy win against the Magic. With AI back, the 76ers are still capable of putting up enough fight to punish a complacent team. Their defense clogged up the Nets' motion offense and they hung tough for about 45 game-minutes.

Nice coaching by Frank. Some adjustments I noticed. Both Kittles and Lu were being toasted by AI, who was creating havoc despite a poor shooting night, so he put Kidd back on AI to keep up with him, plus team defense adjustments to keep pressure on him and redirect him. Lu ran AI under the basket on several occasions to take advantage of the size mismatch. Frank matched up big/small with Ayers.

Glenn Robinson killed his team. He was given multiple mismatches to work with and failed to do anything with them. He gave no help to Iverson. If he played well, the 76ers could have won the game. I don't understand why Ayers put the ball in his hands so much, let alone keep him in the game.

Rogers was key. He's becoming dynamic off the bench, a different player since Frank replaced Scott. He's applying pressure on offense and even approaching defensive stopper status, a far cry from his previous clueless defense. If Rogers can keep up his present level of play, he's going to be a difference-maker. I actually found myself wondering why Frank didn't use him for 10 more minutes of game-action.

I thought Planinic made progress, despite playing only 5 1st half minutes. The veteran 76ers guards attacked him and he had trouble with his dribble. However, he was able to gut it out and function on offense, though uncomfortably, and make plays. Pre-Frank, the rookie probably would have crumbled under the same level of pressure. Unfortunately, the 76ers guards toasted him on defense. Frank made the right call to play Kidd the entire 2nd half in a closely contested game and not return to the Harris/Kittles backcourt. Planinic's learning curve won't get any easier against the Pistons on Tuesday.

I thought Frank would use Veal for about 2-3 minutes in the 2nd half to cut RJ a break and just more in general with Twin out, but with the 76ers going small, Frank was compelled to match up small. In a close game against AI, Frank used his top guns. He's used Veal for 1-2 minutes at the close of 1st halves in the last few games, probably to keep his 10th man fresh with a daily dose of PT. If Twin sits out against the Pistons, I expect Frank will use Scalabrine more to match up against their bigs.

A-Train did a nice job filling in for Twin. Frank did well not to over-use Williams. 29 minutes, even as a starter, is about right. The match-ups with Ayers going small also served to reduce A-Train's minutes.

Kidd was cold early but his play picked up to hold off AI. K-Mart was on his game and reaffirmed his rising star. RJ's shooting was cold, but he played a solid over-all game. Kittles had a hard time shooting and guarding AI. No Armstrong and no Davis.

Ther 76ers had execution problems and some of their newer players lack the character of the older 76ers. They're living off what Larry Brown built but that team continues to fall away. Still, it was a good, tough warm-up for Tuesday's game against the Pistons.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

More photos here. Just got the pre-game ones up so far. I'll get the rest up sometime Monday.

Game Wrap

I'll watch the tape tomorrow. The seats were great, but you can't get a good look at what's going on from that perspective. We moved upstairs for the 2nd half, though.

Kidd was all over the floor. I don't know if I've ever seen him work so hard on defense. I was really surprised that he didn't ask out at any point in the 2nd half.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Glenn Robinson killed his team. He was given multiple mismatches to work with and failed to do anything with them. He gave no help to Iverson. If he played well, the 76ers could have won the game. I don't understand why Ayers put the ball in his hands so much, let alone keep him in the game.
Last year the Nets were winning so they could keep Mutombo and his max salary on the bench. As were the Suns and Googs. When you are losing, but more is expected of you, you have to play your big hands (max players) or you will get questioned.

-Petey

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nice read NYCbballFan.

Rogers and Plannic to lesser extent would be an essential part come playoffs time. If they can keep their production at a consistent level, the Nets have as good a chance as the Pacers or the Pistons.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts

Last year the Nets were winning so they could keep Mutombo and his max salary on the bench. As were the Suns and Googs. When you are losing, but more is expected of you, you have to play your big hands (max players) or you will get questioned.

-Petey
It's also worth pointing out that Derrick Coleman and Marc Jackson are on the IL, and they're important. So even with AI back in the line-up, the 76ers are only less short-handed. I'm not counting out the 76ers from making a hard push if/when they can bolster their front-court with their veteran bigs.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!

It's also worth pointing out that Derrick Coleman and Marc Jackson are on the IL, and they're important. So even with AI back in the line-up, the 76ers are only less short-handed. I'm not counting out the 76ers from making a hard push if/when they can bolster their front-court with their veteran bigs.
Coleman is not longer a max player, nor was Jackson ever. I think teams that are losing are forced to put their expensive team on the floor more so then not. Otherwise they will suffer media backlash as to why are they paying that man money.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,964 Posts

Coleman is not longer a max player, nor was Jackson ever. I think teams that are losing are forced to put their expensive team on the floor more so then not. Otherwise they will suffer media backlash as to why are they paying that man money.

-Petey
I agree Big Dog had to be out there to begin with, but after it became apparent he had nothing and, worse, was giving nothing . . . I don't think a support player can be paid enough to hurt his team on the court. His salary wasn't putting the ball in the basket nor keeping him from making stupid plays. AI is a different matter - the 76ers need to ride him even on his worst days. Big Dog is on the team to help Iverson, not lead. For at least one half, if not one night, they had better options.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The rest of the photos are up here. There were so many (only about 1/4 of the shots that I took, though) that I went with thumbnails. Let me know if you want high-res versions of any of them.

Also, I've updated the NetsDaily home page with some articles and audio links if you're interested. I'll be moving the site to its own domain soon, as well as making it much better. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts