Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<center>

Los Angeles Lakers (3-2) @ Philadelphia 76ers (2-3)

Wachovia Center

Date: Friday, November 11th
Time: 5:00 pm

Television:

KCAL ESPN

Radio:

Xtra Sports 570 ESPN 1330

Probable Starters:

A. Iverson A. Iguodala K. Korver C. Webber S. Hunter

S. Parker K. Bryant L. Odom K. Brown C. Mihm

Key Reserves:
Los Angeles Lakers

Brian Cook
Devean George
Aaron McKie
Laron Profit

Philadelphia 76ers

James Thomas
John Salmons
Lee Nailon
Kevin Ollie

Last Meeting
Date: N/A
Score: N/A
Summary: N/A

Team Leaders:
<table border=3 bordercolor="#9932CC" width=100% ><tr align=center><td>Lakers</font></td><td> </font></td><td>76ers</font></td></tr><tr align=center><td>Kobe Bryant 34.8</td><td>PPG</td><td>Allen Iverson 29.8</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Lamar Odom 10.0</td><td>RPG</td><td>Chris Webber 10.0</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Lamar Odom 5.6</td><td>APG</td><td>Allen Iverson 7.8</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Smush Parker 2.8</td><td>SPG</td><td>Allen Iverson/Andre Iguodala 2.2</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Kobe Bryant/Chris Mihm 0.8</td><td>BPG</td><td>Steven Hunter 2.0</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Brian Cook 61.1%</td><td>FG%</td><td>Steven Hunter 68.8%</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Brian Cook 100.0%</td><td>3PT%</td><td>Kyle Korver 41.2%</td></tr><tr align=center><td>Devean George 87.5%</td><td>FT%</td><td>Kevin Ollie 100.0%</td></tr></table>

Season Standings:
Pacific Division

<table border=3 bordercolor="#0000ff" width=100% ><tr align=center><td>Team</td><td>Record</td><td>Game(s) Back</td><tr align=center><td>Los Angeles Clippers</td><td>5-1</td><td>--</td><tr align=center><td>Los Angeles Lakers</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Golden State Warriors</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Phoenix Suns</td><td>2-3</td><td>2.5</td><tr align=center><td>Sacramento Kings</td><td>1-4</td><td>3.5</td></table>

Western Conference
<table border=3 bordercolor="#0000ff" width=100% ><tr align=center><td>Team</td><td>Record</td><td>Game(s) Back</td><tr align=center><td>Los Angeles Clippers</td><td>5-1</td><td>--</td><tr align=center><td>San Antonio Spurs</td><td>4-1</td><td>0.5</td><tr align=center><td>Utah Jazz</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Los Angeles Lakers</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Golden State Warriors</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Memphis Grizzlies</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Minnesota T'Wolves</td><td>3-2</td><td>1.5</td><tr align=center><td>Dallas Mavericks</td><td>2-2</td><td>2.0</td></table>

76ers Forum Game Thread
</center>

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lakers 97
Sixers 90

Kobe scores 41 pts!

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
If Kwame can have a big game and Smush/Kobe/Odom can keep up their averages, I see a comfortable victory against the Sixers. That applies to most teams, as Kwame is always going to be the X-factor (unfortunately).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Narrow victory for the Lakers, as long as they remember to go inside and run Iverson ragged.

By the way, Allen....would it break your heart to smile a little? Geez. The guy plays with so much heart you gotta admire him. We love you, AI..... lighten up.

(and get some better teammates)

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
This is going to be a good test for Kwame and Smush's defense. If our starters can just keep the Philly players from exploding and Kobe gets hist 30+ we should have another road victory.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
<!-- / message -->"i expect nothing less than a loss"

yes... now im hopes cant be shattered <!-- sig -->

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
We'll win as long as we let A.I. play one on one the whole game and not let him to get his teammates involved. The Sixers usually lose when A.I. has to jack up shots, bail out the offense and overdribble. Parker has that competitive edge and defensive intensity to give A.I. a hard time. I don't really see anyone stopping Kobe, although Andre is a great defender. Lamar will end up scoring a lot too.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Los Angeles Lakers (3-2)
@
Philadelphia 76ers (2-3)

Date: Friday, November 11th
Time: 5:00 PM
TV: ESPN, KCAL

Previous Games
Lakers @ Wolves 88-74 (LOSS) Box Score
Mavs @ Sixers 112-97 (WIN) Box Score

Coach Phil Jackson

C - Chris Mihm (6.8 PPG on 48% shooting, 4.3 RPG, 1.3 APG)
PF - Kwame Brown (6.8 PPG on 50% shooting, 6.4 RPG, 0.8 APG)
SF - Lamar Odom (15.8 PPG on 37% shooting, 10.0 RPG, 5.6 APG)
SG - Kobe Bryant (34.8 PPG on 50% shooting, 5.4 RPG, 4.6 APG)
PG - Smush Parker (14.2 PPG on 55% shooting, 3.6 RPG, 3.6 APG)

Coach Maurice Cheeks

C - Steven Hunter (10.0 PPG on 69% shooting, 4.2 RPG, 0.2 APG)
PF - Chris Webber (22.4 PPG on 46% shooting, 10.0 RPG, 2.4 APG)
SF - Kyle Korver (9.6 PPG on 46% shooting, 3.4 RPG, 3.4 APG)
SG - Andre Iguodala (13.0 PPG on 67% shooting, 5.8 RPG, 3.0 APG)
PG - Allen Iverson (29.8 PPG on 39% shooting, 3.0 RPG, 7.8 APG)

Devean George
Predicted Stats: 11 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist

John Salmons
Predicted Stats: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists

Kobe Bryant
Predicted Stats: 34 points on 51% shooting, 5 rebounds, 5 assists

Allen Iverson
Predicted Stats: 34 points on 44% shooting, 3 rebounds, 9 assists

The Sixers started their season looking terrible...but for reasons unknown, they have defeated the Pacers and Mavs, losing to the Bucks, Pistons and Bobcats in their first three games. This two-game winning streak could come to an end tonight versus the Lakers, who were dominated in the fourth quarter of their last game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. In a game where it seemed as if the entire offense of the Lakers shut down, wear and tear was visible for the first time on Kobe Bryant, who failed to notch 30+ points his first time this season. However, expect nothing less than a stellar performance in his hometown, against a stellar athlete in Allen Iverson and his Philadelphia 76ers.

In the last couple of previews, spacing has been touched on numerous times. We know this can't be fixed immediately, so let's move on to something more important: stopping the star. That's right, stopping Allen Iverson. If the Lakers want to win this game on the road, they cannot let Iverson hit 40 points. The biggest reason for this is because we can expect Webber to score 20 or more against our weak frontcourt, and if Iverson nets 40, that's nearly what we put up against the Wolves on Wednesday night, and I've yet to bring up Andre Iguodala, Kyle Korver and Steven Hunter. Holding Iverson to under 40 and forcing him to take bad shots can keep us on the ground tonight, instead of lifting off to contest his oops to Iggy or his drives through the lane, and we can slow him down by the end of the third, with room to breathe (and to finish the game) in the final 12 minutes.

If I'm Phil Jackson, I have no answer to Chris Webber. A possible resolution would be to move Odom up to the four, and place Devean George on Korver...but Odom would find it difficult back on offense, and we'd end up in a situation we were in against Minny: lack of production on the offensive end. We can't rely on Kobe to score 40 a game, so we have to pick up the slack and attack the basket. Odom's shooting is ugly, and with Kobe attempting a total of only three shots from beyond the arc in five games, Lamar may want to take a few steps closer before launching his 23-footers, and realize that shooting threes when you're not a three-point shooter is unacceptable, especially when you're 5-21 (24%). Those 21 shot attempts could've been from 10-15 feet instead, giving us around 22-24 extra points, versus 15 off threes...plus more time to get back on defense after making those shots. It all falls into place, Lamar.

I don't have time to talk about Chris Mihm. After five games, Mihm is playing like a junior high player; no contact, no strength, just out there as a body. Sure, we can't throw him on the bench, but he's got to focus on the game and his role in the tri, or PJ will eat him for lunch. Kwame, on the other hand, didn't do so bad against Minnesota. If he can give us a double-double tonight, I'll be satisfied. He'll be playing more minutes at the five than as a forward, especially with Mihm's play as of late, and Steven Hunter isn't your ideal starting center in the first place. It's time for Kwame to step up and shine, like a bright star. Shine, Kwame. Shine.

Look for Kobe and Iverson to outshine (yes, I had to say it again) everyone else on the court. One is liable to reach 40, and if both do, it'll make for one interesting game. As I said previously, Iverson reaching that many will make it twice as difficult to win, but if Webber chokes, it's going to be a shootout. Don't fret, Laker fans...Phil won't let that go on for long, and Kobe should dominate by attacking the basket all night long, and the Lakers will come away with a victory, 102-94.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts