Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The reigning players of the week will be on display as Paul Pierce leads the Celtcs into battle with Tracy McGrady and the Houston Rockets.

McGrady has rebounded well from early struggles with Jeff VanGundy. McGrady is averaging 25.7 ppg to go with 6.3 rpg and 6.0 apg. McGrady also gets 1.72 steals per game as he likes to get out and into passing lanes on defense, often going down the floor for a fast break finish. Yao Ming is playing to form with 18.3 ppg and 8.5 rpg while blocking 1.9 shots a contest. Ming is shooting 54.9% from the floor, good for third in the league. Bobby Sura has had a solid all-around year with 10.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg and 5.3 apg, as well as 1.26 spg. In six games with the Rockets, Mike James is impressing with 15.8 ppg and 4.7 apg to go with 47.8% shooting and 45.2% 3FG. David Wesley is performing better since going to Houston with 11.5 ppg on 43.3% FG. Jon Barry is doing well off the bench with 7.0 ppg and 2.8 boards and assists a night in a bench role. Dikembe Mutumbo is also doing well off the bench with 4.0 ppg and 4.7 rpg while averaging 14.2 mpg.

The Celtics have already met with Houston in the home leg of the season series. The January 31st game saw the Rockets taking it 97-94. The Rockets were led by Yao Ming who shot 11-15 to finish with 23 points, 8 boards, and 2 blocks. Jon Barry lit us up off the bench with 17 on 7-8 shooting (3-4 3FG). Tracy McGrady struggled with 16 points on 5-14 shooting (2-7 3FG) to go with 5 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals and 4 turnovers. Bob Sura double-doubled with 10 points (2-7 FG) to go with 10 assists, 6 boards, and 2 steals. David Wesley shot 2-11 to finish with 10 points, five boards, and four assists, while also blocking a shot (one of his seven this season). Scott Padgett went for 10 off the bench on 4-5 shooting.

The Celtics were led by Ricky Davis' 10-15 shooting to finish with a game high 24 points. Paul Pierce had 22 on 7-15 shooting to go with 5 boards and 5 assists. Mark Blount shot 6-11 to finish with 14 points and had 4 assists. Raef LaFrentz hit 6-10 to go with 7 boards. Marcus Banks scored 7 in 13 minutes while shooting 3-3 from the field. Kendrick Perkins blocked two shots in 19 minutes of play.

The Celtics blew this game from behind the arc. The Celtics shot 49% from the field, as compared to the Rockets' 46.6% from the field. The Celtics took 77 shots to the Rockets 73. The difference was that the Celtics hit just 3 of 14 from three point land (21.4%), as compared to the Rockets 8-19 (42.1%).

This will be a huge test for the Celtics. The Rockets are one of those teams that are placed among the top championship contenders. If the Celtics can take this one, as they took the Pistons, I think we would have to believe that the Celtics would be among them as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hear this... My boss has scheduled me for the next two weeks on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday (If you didnt know thats the Celtics schedule for the next 2 weeks).

The Solution : Im giving my two weeks notice tomorrow, lol

But back to the basketball, I'm going to say the Celtics will step it up and edge the Rockets out.
110-109

·
Registered
8 Posts
agoo-
I agree with your Justin Reed signature...

We might need to run the legs off of a big center....
Keep rotating players and run their legs off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
toolatetoride said:
hear this... My boss has scheduled me for the next two weeks on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday (If you didnt know thats the Celtics schedule for the next 2 weeks).
How is a person to live like that... :curse:

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Auerbach said:
How is a person to live like that... :curse:
Well he has a good solution, QUIT. lol. Job or Celtics on TV? hmm....Celtics.

This should be a fun game though. It's gonna be hard containing Ming and McGrady....and MIKE JAMES.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Oh god, not Mike James. He friggin killed us in Milwaukee. I'm not worried as much about T-mac. Last time we played he got shut down. Wesley was ice cold as well. Jon Barry is the one that absolutely killed us that game. Ten bucks says Wesley knocks down 4-5 treys, and T-Mac puts up 30 just because I said that lol.

·
Registered
453 Posts
this should be a tough match up tonight for the celtics, considering the firepower that McGrady has and if he is on fire tonight then we could be in trouble. if we play some strong D tonight and contain Yao down low, the Celtics should pull away with this one, and keept he success going.
Celtics 102 Rockets 97

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Bsktbllplayr25 said:
this should be a tough match up tonight for the celtics, considering the firepower that McGrady has and if he is on fire tonight then we could be in trouble. if we play some strong D tonight and contain Yao down low, the Celtics should pull away with this one, and keept he success going.
Celtics 102 Rockets 97
PF advantage: Walker 40 pts, Spoon 4 pts
Lafrentz and R Davis are great players.

Rockets 102
Celtics 92

·
Registered
610 Posts
Id put Marcus on Mike James... Id be willing to bet he wouldn't drill as many trey's as he would with Payton on him..

I think the C's may fall to a loss tonight.
They really don't have a answer for Yao...
In order for the win.. We would need big contributions from the Pf and C spot.. If Blount can play like he has been playing.. We have a shot.
Should be a fun game to watch.

PdP

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
PhearDaPierce said:
Id put Marcus on Mike James... Id be willing to bet he wouldn't drill as many trey's as he would with Payton on him..

I think the C's may fall to a loss tonight.
They really don't have a answer for Yao...
In order for the win.. We would need big contributions from the Pf and C spot.. If Blount can play like he has been playing.. We have a shot.
Should be a fun game to watch.

PdP
good points, Walker needs to offset yao.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Balanced scoring and a brillant bench effort as the Celtics up 56-42 at the half. Antoine Walker is leading the scoring for the C's with 11 points on 4-8 shooting, to go with three steals. Gary Payton has hit 3-5 for ten points and also has four boards and four assists. Davis and Blount lead the bench with 8 a piece. Blount has 5 boards to go with his. Al Jefferson has 7 points, most against Yao Ming. Delonte West has 5 points and two boards in five minutes of play.

For Houston, McGrady and Ming have 10 a piece. Yao has hit just 2-3, but is 6-8 from the line and has six boards. McGrady is 4-12 with four turnovers, but also has four assists. David Wesley is shooting 2-7 for 6 points. Jon Barry leads the Houston bench with 6 points on 3-5 shooting.

The Celtics are shooting 47.7% from the field and 54.5% from three. Houston is shooting just 38.6% from the field and a sad 15.4% (2-13) from three.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
I was too caught up with the NCAA tournament that I forgot about this game, although looking at the teams respective field goal percentage, I can see why we are winning over a very good team.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts