Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Game 7: Memphis Grizzlies (5-3) at Phoenix Suns (3-3)

Wednesday, November 16th, 7:00 PM (PST - Arizona), FSN

Starting Lineup

Damon Stoudamire Eddie Jones Mike Miller Shane Battier Pau Gasol

Reserves

Lorenzen Wright
Bobby Jackson
Antonio Burks
Dahntay Jones
Hakim Warrick
John Thomas
Lawrence Roberts

Starting Lineup

Steve Nash Leandro Barbosa Raja Bell Shawn Marion Kurt Thomas

Reserves

Boris Diaw
James Jones
Brian Grant
Eddie House
Jim Jackson
Pat Burke

Grizzlies' Previous Game: Memphis squeaked out of Philips Arena in Atlanta with a one point win over the Hawks to break even at 2-2 on the road. Though enjoying little contribution from the bench, combining for 8 points on just 1-14 shooting from the field, the Grizz' held off Atlanta with solid production from its starters. Pau Gasol continued his tirade through the NBA by chipping in 20 and 9. Shane Battier contributed 22 points, 8 rebounds (5 offensive) and 5 assists. With Damon Stoudamire out due to an ankle injury, Bobby Jackson moved into the starting lineup and produced 17 points and 8 rebounds.

UPDATE: The Grizzlies defeated the Lakers 85-73 at home on Monday night to improve to 5-3 on the season. Pau Gasol was great once again with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 blocks. Eddie Jones had 16 points and 4 steals, while Mike Miller helped off the bench with 13 points. Damon Stoudamire returned to the starting lineup, but for the most part did not play well in his first game back from an ankle injury.

Suns' Previous Game: The Suns were finally able to capture the all-elusive first home win by defeating the Warriors 101-86. Shawn Marion was quietly solid once again, with 22 points, 15 rebounds and 4 blocks. Leandro Barbosa handled his move into the starting lineup well, dropping 19 for the Suns. Steve Nash had 20 and 10. Raja Bell was hot early on and went for 20. Boris Diaw returned to the bench after starting Thursday in a loss to the Detroit Pistons, and it affected him none. While he struggled to finish at times during the game to convert easy layups and shots near the hoop, he was still solid with 8 point, 12 rebounds and 5 assists.

Chris's Game Notes: Suns hope they finally learned the lessons behind their early fourth quarter woes by putting away Golden State. Were the Warriors just too tired to compete in their second game in two days, or did the Suns display a killer instinct near the end of the game that they can build on? Memphis has struggled to put the basketball in the hoop at times this year, recently scoring only 70 against the Cleveland Cavaliers. They are averaging around 90.3 points per game, but they hold their opponents to slightly below that at 89.9. They also carry a problem similar to that of Phoenix, with an inability to rebound the ball with consistency. The Suns on the other hand are averaging 108.2 and yielding 104.3 to their opponents. Will the number 1 offense in the NBA be able to pummel the number 5 defense in the league? Will the 5th worst offense in the league be able to prevail over the league's 3rd worst defense? Will the slow inside pace of Memphis prevail over the frenetic pace of Suns basketball? In another interesting note, Suns fans await, some in sheer anticipation and some in fear, words from Jimmy Jackson regarding his recent and rapid rotation exit. Will Jimmy be forced to sit another one out? Tune in, Suns fans!

Match-up of the Night

Steve Nash versus Damon Stoudamire

<table border=2 align=center>
<tr align=center><td>Player
<td>Points
<td>Rebounds
<td>Assists
<td>Steals
<td>Blocks
<tr align=center><td>

<td>18.3
<td>3.0
<td>11.3
<td>1.5
<td>.17
<tr align=center><td>

<td>7.6
<td>3.0
<td>4.3
<td>.71
<td>.00
</table>

Make your predictions HERE! GO SUNS!​

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm really worried about Jackson. I have a bad feeling that I'll soon come across a news article that says "Suns' Jackson Demands Trade."

BTW, that BasketballBoards.com sign for the games might be easier said then done. My seat is right behind the statician's table where Bryan Collangelo sits.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
I doubt we could even trade Jax for much and where is he gonna go? He would retire or sit out if we sent him to a ****ty team. I wish he would play more. He still has some in the tank. We could use his experience later on. He couldn't have just dropped off that much to not play.

wow awesome game thread. BTW you should use our firebird logo. I like it much better but either way. Doesn't matter haha.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Yea, Jackson not playing does concern me. Anyway though, this game will rely on if we can stop Gasol. He's been pretty beast like thus far. Plus we need to stop the outside shooting of Jones, Miller, and Stoudamire.

·
Registered
657 Posts
great game thread Chris ! I am pretty confident regarding the chances of the suns tonight agasint the Grizzlies .

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carbo04 said:
Yea, Jackson not playing does concern me. Anyway though, this game will rely on if we can stop Gasol. He's been pretty beast like thus far. Plus we need to stop the outside shooting of Jones, Miller, and Stoudamire.
Any word on if Stoudamire is playing tonight?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ballstorm said:
great game thread Chris ! I am pretty confident regarding the chances of the suns tonight agasint the Grizzlies .
Thanks man, I too think the Suns should be able to beat Memphis. When Memphis shooters (Miller, Battier, Jones, Jackson) are hot, it can be pretty darn tough to put them away. So all we can do is hope this isn't one of those nights for them to go nuts. I look forward to seeing what Bell can do defensively, since he will likely be stuck on Memphis' hottest shooter.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dissonance19 said:
wow awesome game thread. BTW you should use our firebird logo. I like it much better but either way. Doesn't matter haha.
Yeah, that would be better. Let me take a look around the net and see if I can find a good one of similar size.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
Yeah, that would be better. Let me take a look around the net and see if I can find a good one of similar size.
there's always the one I have as my avatar now that I cut from a Suns background last yr. Not sure if it's big enough but it doesn't matter that much to change it anyhow haha.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I think we should actually be able to blow this team away, since the Grizzlies are sporadic in the way they've played this year (some games they play with a lot of intensity, other games they come out flat). If Marion has one of his normal games (20/10) and Nash doesn't turn the ball over as much (he was averaging 5 a game before the win against GS), we should win. I expect our bench to play solidly again, and for Leandro to have another strong night as a starter.

There is one major concern that I have though. For some reason, except for the Warriors, teams against us seem to all of a sudden shoot lights-out in the final quarter, while we can barely get an offensive rhythm going. True, some of its breakdown on defense and silly mistakes by us, but some of those shots I saw go in against us were pretty ridiculous. Hopefully, the GS game was a turnaround, and PHX'll be able to start closing out games efficiently. I'd like to see a better defensive performance, as well as a strong night in rebounding.

Go Suns!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dissonance19 said:
there's always the one I have as my avatar now that I cut from a Suns background last yr. Not sure if it's big enough but it doesn't matter that much to change it anyhow haha.
Well, I added one in there...but it's really annoying me that for some reason photoshop won't let me match the surrounding color to the background of the board. Instead, you get this white box around it. I made it grey so it would annoy me less, hehe. But if anyone wants to try and mess with it, send me en editted one that matches the background of the board and I'll use that one instead. Good idea though dis, I like it better.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, Zei_Zao_LS and I had talked about adding a predictions game to the board. Zei_Zao_LS stepped up and wanted to run it, which is awesome. So give it a shot!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi folks. Greetings from Brazil.

Since there will be no games being transmitted here, all I can do is look at some play-by-play. I think it´s going to be a tough game, but we can pull this one. Suns by 7. Don´t know why, but I think Leandro is going to score 25+ points! :)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MarshallBR said:
Hi folks. Greetings from Brazil.

Since there will be no games being transmitted here, all I can do is look at some play-by-play. I think it´s going to be a tough game, but we can pull this one. Suns by 7. Don´t know why, but I think Leandro is going to score 25+ points! :)
Welcome to BBB.net MarshallBR! We're glad to have ya. I sure do hope Leandro scores 25! Life would be much easier for the Suns that way. I'll be watching the game with the wife, but I'll try to jump on here and post some updates. If someone else could also post some game updates here that would be great. Well, welcome!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, man! Any help would be appreciated. But don´t worry about the updates. If ESPN International decided to air it instead of showing some "exciting" poker match or figure skating, posting here would be one of the last things I´d think of! :)

GO SUNS!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, sounds good. :)

Made a change to Memphis' starting lineups, looks like their trying to go small against the Suns.

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
OK, sounds good. :)

Made a change to Memphis' starting lineups, looks like their trying to go small against the Suns.
Lorenzen's out with a strained hamstring.

I'd be lying if I said I was upset about it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts