Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Game 71

Dallas Mavericks (54-16) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (41-29)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Time: 4:00pm PT, 7:00pm ET
TV:FSOhio, NBALP
Radio: WTAM 1100

HEAD COACHES

PROBABLE STARTERS

DALLAS MAVERICKS’ BENCH

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS’ BENCH

DALLAS MAVERICKS’ NOTES

Get a big game out of Jason Terry. He’ll be too much for Snow or Jones, especially if the jumper is falling. If Cleveland decides to trap the ballhandler with double-teams and aggressive switches on picks, Terry will pick Cleveland apart with his vision. The Cavaliers haven't done a good job of stopping the ball against quick guards. They'll either go all-out in trying to stop it or decide to live with the consequences of whatever happens.

Run a lot of pick-and-rolls. While Cleveland is better at denying penetration on switches this year, they still yield an abundant amount of open jumpers every night. Proceed to fire away.

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS’ NOTES

Cleveland needs a consistent effort to beat a team of Dallas’ calibur. The team cannot come out lackadaisical in the second half, nor can they take a few minutes off and try to steal quarters in the final moments. This especially holds true for the 4th quarter.

Hope the Ilgauskas train isn’t out of steam and has another strong performance left. The same Zydrunas that battled neck-and-neck with Yao Ming is needed for this game. The Cavs must dominate the paint, control the glass, play ping-pong with the ball with tips and deflections and impose their size. Cleveland needs second-chance opportunities to hang with Dallas when their shooting inevitably goes cold for stretches in the game.

OVERVIEW

Cleveland had a good lead against Dallas in their last match up but wound up blowing things and being overtaken in the second half. That game featured a total collapse by the Cavaliers, mixed with a strong run by the Mavericks. Hopefully Cleveland remembers what happened last time, deciding to get on Dallas early and not let up. Cleveland’s winning streak extended to 5 games after beating Houston with a chance for 6 should they defend the home court.

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
I want this one bad: still pissed we lost the last Dallas game.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
We meet once again ;)

Luckily for Dallas, it seems Josh Howard (and Keith Van Horn) will both be playing - but don't change the lineup yet. Dallas will struggle with the back to back

EDIT: Wooh, I've always wanted Anderson Varaejo

2,289 Posts
This is a really weird stat, I didnt know where too post it so i thought i would drop the link here:
http://www.82games.com/0506/0506CLE2.HTM

It shows with the lineup Snow-Hughes-James-Gooden-Z ... We had a negative output... While lineup Snow-JONES-James-Marshall-Big Z is our best output... I wouldnt have thought that!

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beacon Journal | 03/28/2006

Click Me!

Give the coach some credit. I still don't like Mike Brown's offense. But I don't hold Brown responsible for the iffy defense, because he has been given mostly offense-minded players. And he has improved the defense from a year ago. I do appreciate how Brown has been able to pull the team out of losing streaks. Unlike so many NBA teams, there is little clubhouse controversy or direct rebellion against the coach. That says something good about Brown.

The Cavs are starting to win close games. Brown has something to do with that. This month, they have won two in overtime, three by two or fewer points.

I appreciate what Eric Snow does for the Cavs. Most fans wouldn't agree. He's not the long-term answer at point guard, but his defense has made a positive impact. He shows it especially on the pick-and-roll and against such opposing stars as Kobe Bryant. With James, Murray and Zydrunas Ilgauskas on offense, the Cavs don't need a point guard taking a lot of shots.

They still need to get the ball inside. Especially late in games, Zydrunas Ilgauskas seems forgotten. The Cavs have stats showing that only Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming average more "touches'' per game among NBA centers than Ilgauskas. I don't debate the numbers. I do say that most of those touches come in the first half, when the Cavs try to get him the ball. His ability to draw fouls and make free throws would help in the fourth quarter. It also will be a key to winning in the playoffs.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I think we'll win this one if 3 things happen:

- Z gets going early
- Gooden can limit Dirk's effectiveness
- D Jones/Marshall pick their spots and shoot the ball well from deep.

I think Lebron should start by guarding Dirk and make him go inside more.

2,289 Posts
Interesting stat the Cavaliers have trailed at the end of 3 quarters 36 times. More than any other playoff team in the NBA. But also on the flip side, we have won more games after trailing at the end of 3 quarters than anyone in the NBA.

You can look at it two ways, either Mike Brown cannot motivate his players enough coming out of Halftime. Or maybe we are the most clutch team in the NBA having to come back in the fourth quarter so many times. I think this team just like too see their fans loose their hair!!!

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Ahd_Cnf.html

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:
Interesting stat the Cavaliers have trailed at the end of 3 quarters 36 times. More than any other playoff team in the NBA. But also on the flip side, we have won more games after trailing at the end of 3 quarters than anyone in the NBA.

You can look at it two ways, either Mike Brown cannot motivate his players enough coming out of Halftime. Or maybe we are the most clutch team in the NBA having to come back in the fourth quarter so many times. I think this team just like too see their fans loose their hair!!!

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Ahd_Cnf.html
IMO it shows a lack of adjustments at halftime combined with the idea that we're winning games by talent and not necessarily a great game plan

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
We start out flat at the start of every game and half. It's a lack of motivation (partially Brown's fault) and halftime adjustments (fully Brown's fault).

We REALLY need to at worst split these next 2 games with DAL/MIA, it's looking more and more like we're gonna need to pick up at least 47 wins for homecourt. And keep in mind we have a game left @ Washington late in the year.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hopefully mike brown will improve next year. Maybe he'll attend some coaching conferences or something. who knows

I think he has faults but he should be proud that hes gonna get homecourt in the playoffs in his first year as a head coach

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
Yeah you guys have to remember he's a rookie coach. He's learning a lot on the job. He's still finding out what works as a head coach and what doesn't. I think next year he'll have a better idea of how to intergrate his system.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Maybe I'm being unrealistic but I'm still hoping to get 50 wins this season, which can be done with a 12-3 record closing out the regular season. That would give us a nice momentum going into the playoffs and hopefully get Lebron James a nice spot on most people's MVP lists. It isn't what's most important by any strech, but I think he deserves several votes because he's done/doing a lot for this team.

IMO, all the remaining games are winnable, it can be done.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yahoo! | NBA | Dallas Mavericks/Cleveland Cavaliers Preview (click on picture)

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beacon Journal | 03/29/2006 | Remember the third

Click Me!

Remember the third

The margin was 27-8 -- the result of a dizzying 12-minute span that might have been the low point of the Cavs' season.

After building a 19-point halftime lead over the Dallas Mavericks two weeks ago, the Cavs quickly coughed it up in a miserable display of offensive and defensive basketball in that third quarter at the American Airlines Center.

The Mavericks ended up winning by four points.

Since then, the Cavs have won five consecutive games and saved their best basketball for key moments in the second half.

Following the loss to the Mavericks and a similar loss at Miami when they blew a 15-point, second-half lead two nights before, the Cavs have both teams at home this week, having learned and applied some tough lessons.

"We've been a different team since then; we're making plays down the stretch,'' LeBron James said.

"We learned a lot in that game. We've grown and we've shown improvement.''

Brown, who was incensed after the game, then faced the most adversity of his first season, said that in retrospect, those tough losses could've helped the team's growth.

"You hate to go through that. I was very upset after that game,'' Brown said.

"We aren't Dallas yet. You hate to say that, but it is going to take some time. For us to go through that, it was a great learning experience and as a competitor it sits with you. I think it will help in the long run.''

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cavs test learning curve in Mavs rematch

Cavs test learning curve in Mavs rematch

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Burt Graeff
Plain Dealer Reporter

Viewing some game tape is easier on the eyes than others.

Viewing game tape - particularly the third quarter - of the 91-87 loss to the Mavericks in Dallas on March 14 was enough to make the Cavaliers seek blindfolds.

"That was not a fun tape to watch," said LeBron James. "We did it to ourselves in that third quarter.

"But we've learned from it."

Apparently so. The Cavaliers (41-29) have not lost since spitting up a 53-34 halftime lead at American Airlines Arena, winning five straight to set up tonight's rematch against the Mavericks (54-16) at The Q.

The third quarter in Dallas was the worst of the season and arguably one of the worst in the 36-year history of the Cleveland franchise. In being outscored, 27-8, the Cavaliers shot 19 percent (3-of-16) from the field.

The eight-point effort brought back memories of the team's all-time lowest quarter: four points in the second quarter of a 72-67 loss to the Celtics in November 2000.

Squandering a 19-point lead at the half came within five points of the club's all-time record for coughing up a lead to start the third quarter. In December 1972, the Cavaliers held a 65-41 lead at the half in a game against Houston at the long-gone Cleveland Arena and lost, 110-109.

In the March 14 game at Dallas, the Cavaliers appeared to be in complete control when a Flip Murray drive with 10:20 left in the third quarter put them on top, 57-38.

What happened over the next 6:07 was astounding. The Cavaliers missed all seven field goals they attempted and committed four turnovers.

Eleven straight points during this stretch drew the Mavericks to 57-49. They had grabbed the momentum and ran with it.

"Defensively," said Cavaliers power forward Drew Gooden, "the Mavericks played as good as they could play. But, we allowed them to speed up the game and then played right into their hands."

James' 36-point, 12-rebound, five-assist effort went to waste.

And so, what did the Cavaliers - whose magic number to clinch a playoff spot for the first time in eight years is one - take from the loss in Dallas? "I think that we're learning more and more how to close out games," said coach Mike Brown.

"We won some close games recently and we've done it by executing down the stretch."

Here's how:

In Sunday's 104-102 overtime victory at Houston, the Cavaliers were down by three with 25 seconds left in regulation when James drove the lane, was fouled by Rockets center Yao Ming, then converted the basket and subsequent free throw for a three-point play that tied it.

In Houston's last possession of the fourth quarter, James stripped Yao of the ball to send the game into overtime.

In Friday night's 94-82 victory over Boston, the Cavaliers trailed, 59-58, at the end of three quarters. A 36-23 fourth quarter blew it open.

In Wednesday night's 120-118 overtime victory against Charlotte, Murray hit a 3-pointer as time expired in the fourth that tied it. James won it in overtime, tossing in a 20-footer with nine-tenths of a second left.

"You hate to go through something like that third quarter in Dallas, but it was a great learning experience," Brown said.

"If you are a competitor, it hurts inside and you don't want it to happen again."

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
cavs 105
mavs 100

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.