Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q: What do you get after 16 games of Chris Webber teaming with Allen Iverson?

A: Allen Iverson

The Philadelphia 76ers are visiting Boston for a meeting with the Celtics. The Celtics actually won a game Friday night to put them up four games on the Sixers with nine to go. The Sixers are hanging around in the eighth position in the playoffs, but have the Magic and the surging Nets just a game behind them. Chris Webber will be out for this meeting with up to a dozen injures at once, including (but not limited to) a knee injury and a should injury.

The Sixers have been led by Allen Iverson's 30.4 ppg, 7.8 apg, 4.0 rpg, and 2.35 spg. Iverson is first in ppg, second in spg, and fifth in apg, but his 4.6 tpg is also in first place. After Iverson, there's a bit of a drop to Marc Jackson who has played pretty well with 11.7 ppg and 5.2 rpg while shooting 46.5% from the field and 80.8% from the line. Kyle Korver has become an O'Brien favorite as a fairly ridiculous 74.2% of his shots are from beyond the arc. The gentleman from Creighton has averaged 11.3 ppg, 4.5 apg, and 1.24 spg while shooting 40.2% from three. Rookie Andre Iguodala has played 32.4 mpg, which is shocking considering that he's a rookie with Jim O'Brien as a coach. The other AI has averaged 8.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg, and 1.65 spg while shooting 49.4% from the floor. Sam Dalembert has taken on the stopper role, responsible for trying to block a shot when a little fast guy has come off a pick and is now being guarded by Marc Jackson. Dalembert has averaged 7.9 ppg and 7.4 rpg while blocking 1.66 shot a night. Sammy D is shooting at an impressive 53.4% clip, which is only a bit lower than his 59.5% FT shooting. Willie Green has averaged 7.7 ppg, but hits just 36.1% of his shots. Petey's man of dreams, Rodney Rogers joined the Sixers in a move that was discussed on these boards as much as the Webber move. The Round Mound of Next To Nothing has averaged 6.3 ppg and 3.9 rpg in his 16.9 minutes a night.

The 76ers have won both meetings with the Celtics, but those were back in November when Josh Davis put up 19 and Marc Jackson went for 17 in one game and Kenny Thomas went for 12 and 10 in the opener.

Here you have two teams that need to win this game. If the Celtics can take this one, they'll be up five games with just nine left and would be able to pretty much wrap up the division. The Sixers need this one to stay ahead of New Jersey and Orlando (who are fading), as well as keeping the Celtics within reach for the division crown.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Re: GAME 73: Celtics (39-30) vs. 76ers

Webber is out this game also.
So like I said in the other post.
We got a good shot at this one "IF" we play good D and Rebound.

PdP

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Webber out is going to hurt the Sixer. However, Allen Iverson, as has been long established, can pretty much win a game on his own whenever he gets the chance. The Celtics will need to get hot early and not let Iverson think he can win this one.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts

Double team AI and keep him under 30 points. If he blows up for a big game anything can/will happen

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
i cant believe its down to the last 10 games of the year...sigh

Reactions: whiterhino

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Premier said:
Playoffs. :banana:

lol o i know, so much more exciting than reg. season...i cannot wait...PLUS i get to see the philly game tomorrow cuz itz on nat'l TV:king:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
agoo101284 said:
Also, a reminder that this game will be on at 1:00 tomorrow.
Woohoo!

I'll be watching. Beat their rears guys.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
This game will almost make us or break us, also this game means alot for New Jersey, they only trail Philly buy 1 game I belive maybe a half. If we beat them they might just loose thier playoff contention unless they win and NJ looses alot.

I would like to see Marcus get alot of minutes in this game so I can tell all the Philly fans in my school Ai got shut down by a 2nd year player. :gbanana: Do you think AI can keep up with Marcus? Or Allen?

I also think it was funny after last nights game Mike and Tom were interviewing Ricky and they asked who he wanted in the playoffs and he said "Oh I want Clevelend" He will have a good series if we match up with them. Being a former Cavalier.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Let AI score his points, Boston will just have to make sure no one else steps up. If they don't allow anyone else to be the hero, they'll win.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Webber may play Sunday.

Original estimates called for Webber to be sidelined for seven to 10 days, which would mean three to five games.

A Sixers source said there's even an "outside chance" Webber could play Sunday in Boston, although that appears to be a long shot. It's more likely that he'll be back for Wednesday's home game against the Bobcats.[/qupte]

An "outside chance"? That could be a problem. However, one must consider that it is Chris Webber we're talking about. Not exactly the best track record there.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
If there has been a "must win" game this season this is the one. Great game thread Agoo.

OT Welcome Aqua and Premier...didn't see a post on that :biggrin:

·
Banned
662 Posts
This game is going to be competitive, and both teams really need it, im actually getting up early for this one, so philly better not STINK!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Does anyone know if this game is gonna be in HD? ABC hasn't been showing games in HD, but the cameras should already be setup at the Fleet. And ABC's website is terrible and gives no information.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
lempbizkit said:
Does anyone know if this game is gonna be in HD? ABC hasn't been showing games in HD, but the cameras should already be setup at the Fleet. And ABC's website is terrible and gives no information.
I don't think so. I think HD only comes with the Comcast Digital Cable version of FSNE.

·
Registered
971 Posts
lempbizkit said:
ABC brings theyre own cameras so no i dont think so

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks guys, its weird that ABC doesn't show the games in HD since ESPN does, hopefully they do for the playoffs.

In other news, Antoine might not play?

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=76334

An MRI taken on Antoine Walker [news]'s left knee yesterday revealed what the Celtics medical staff suspected - that the forward is suffering from a deep bone bruise that leaves his availability for today's game against Philadelphia uncertain.

Doc Rivers said Walker's status will be a gametime decision. Walker suffered the injury in the Celtics' 116-100 win over the Hawks in Atlanta.

``We'll see, but I just don't know,'' the Celtics coach said after yesterday's practice.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts