Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Game 76

Cleveland Cavaliers (45-30) @ New Jersey Nets (46-28)

Saturday, April 8, 2006
Time: 10:00am PT, 1:00pm ET
TV: NBALP, WUAB
Radio: WTAM 1100
Location: Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

HEAD COACHES

PROBABLE STARTERS

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS’ BENCH

NEW JERSEY NETS’ BENCH

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS’ NOTES

Cleveland’s forwards will need to have strong performances to offset the disadvantage the team faces at the guard positions. If the Cavaliers fail to win those battles, it will be over.

The Cavaliers need to have a firm control over the tempo to win this game. It would be better for Cleveland to play at their pace and lose the game, at least playing the game on their own terms, than to challenge New Jersey at their own game and proceed to get blown out.

NEW JERSEY NETS’ NOTES

Run Cleveland out of the gym and force turnovers with pressure on the ball. If Cleveland gets a lead, step up the defensive pressure to speed the game up and take advantage of Cleveland’s mistakes.

Win the game by showing more intensity than the Cavaliers. The Nets need to hustle and win this game from the start with a strong opening half of basketball.

OVERVIEW

Cleveland is coming off a loss to New York, a game in which the Cavs fell behind and came back with a chance to win, but came up short. The issue with Cleveland is that one quarter of good basketball not only won’t beat New Jersey, frankly, it won’t even be close to getting the job done.

·
15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
quench23 said:
Another loss
way to think positive! lol! you must have a great feeling about the playoffs........

how about this...............GO CAVS! (might wanna enjoy one of the few times I'll make myself root for Cleveland)

2,289 Posts
quench23 said:
Another loss
If you dont have a positive attitude then i dont see how long you may be able to last as a Cavaliers fan. They wont win 9 titles in a row, so more than likely there will be heart break along the way.

But, on the game. I really hope Zydrunas is well rested and Larry gets some reps in practice and Mike Brown might actually have this team think its the fourth quarter when actually its the 1st quarter and we start out with some energy.

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
Need to win 5 out of 7 remaning games to get to 50 and have Lebron win MVP. But to really grab it I think we have to beat either Nets or Detroit. A road win against one of those 2 plus 50 wins and we'll have some nice publicity flowing towards Cleveland.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
This is the game we need. The Knicks game is really meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but this team needs to prove we can beat good teams on the road.

NJ has owned us for years, and are playing lights out, so this will be a real test of this teams character. Lebron needs to bring it in these 2 against NJ and Detroit if he wants any shot at MVP.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Up until the Knicks debacle I was thinking that 50 wins was going to be relatively easy. Well we've just made that more difficult on ourselves and have to take one of these games against a good team. As always Kidd is a problem for us as is Carter. We have to keep Carter in the 20's and hopefully Jefferson isn't going off on us. Make Kidd a scorer and we can have a chance on this. More importantly, the Nets have been playing very good defense (keeping the majority of teams under 80 pts). This might be kinda tough for us if Z is not there. Krstic is a good player, but he can't guard Z. LeBron needs to have a good game (whats new) and Gooden should continue his scoring. Hopefully Hughes is shooting better than the last game as well.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Plain Dealer

F-I-R-E

F-I-R-E:

The Cavs are not the only streaking team in the league. Saturday's opponent, the New Jersey Nets, are on a 13-game winning streak.

"Obviously they have their big three [Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson] but the X-factor is Nenad Krstic," said Cavs assistant coach Michael Malone.

"He gives them a fourth scorer. As good as they are offensively, they do a real good job of holding teams field-goal percentages down. It's going to be a great challenge for us."

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe we can win this game, but it will be tough. Don't forget about the way we played the previous 9 games before last nights tough loss. This Nets team is really hot but i think with the 3 day rest it gives time for Hughes to get more practice and Z to recover to 100%, plus it gives much needed rest to everyone else.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beacon Journal | 04/07/2006 | Notes

Click Me!

Ilgauskas update

The Cavs took Thursday off in New York and will practice in the city today in preparation for Saturday's game at New Jersey. The Cavs should know today if Zydrunas Ilgauskas' sprained left ankle, which caused him to miss the Knicks game, will allow him to return to the lineup. There is some hope he could return, but it doesn't appear likely.

“I would like to play, but I don't know,'' Ilgauskas said. “I don't want to go out and make it worse and have it linger through the playoffs.''

Jones All-Access

Cavs guard Damon Jones will be featured on NBA Access with Ahmad Rashad this Saturday in a segment about his relationship with stars like James and Shaquille O'Neal. It was filmed several weeks ago and includes a high-stakes, post-practice shooting game in which Jones came out on the losing end.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This is going to be a awesome game...go cavs.

98-94 Cavs. :gopray:

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
Tough game w/o Z. We can't catch a break and see what our lineup will play like with some time on there hand: Still thinking of how Hughes and Z will fit together.
The Hughes, Flip, and Lebron lineup might be better served with Marshall and AV/Gooden in there then Z. But we have no time to really experiment before the season starts :(

Anyways if we can beat Detroit AND the Nets (a big if obviously), we might not even have to win 50 for Lebron to get the MVP. They are playing like the 2 best teams in the league after all

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
z's not playing?

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beacon Journal | 04/08/2006 | Ilgauskas to sit

Click Me!

Ilgauskas to sit

Zydrunas Ilgauskas did not practice with the Cavs on Friday and won't play today against the Nets, although the team still has him listed as "doubtful,'' not "out.'' He said the swelling in his sprained left ankle was down and he was out of the plastic protective boot, but that the ankle was still sore. Ilgauskas will next test the ankle during the team's workout Sunday in Oklahoma City and hasn't ruled out playing Monday against the Hornets.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Streak over, Cavs try to snip Nets'

Streak over, Cavs try to snip Nets'

Saturday, April 8, 2006

Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

East Rutherford, N.J. - Wednesday night's game against one of the worst teams in the league was supposed to be the easy one. Instead, the Cavaliers' nine-game winning streak ended with a loss to the New York Knicks, and now the Cavs will have the task this afternoon of facing the hottest team in the league in the New Jersey Nets.

The Nets (46-28) are on a 14-game winning streak. It's the longest streak in the league this season, and it ties the Nets' franchise high set during the 2003-04 season. A Nets victory over the Cavs today will mark the first time a team has won 15 consecutive games in a season since 1999-2000, when the Los Angeles Lakers won 19 straight games.

The Nets have been special.

"The best thing about this streak is that we're finally showing our potential in what we can do," said Nets forward Richard Jefferson. "But it took us a while, about 50 games, to get into a flow as a team as in what we're capable of and capitalizing on it."

Teammate Vince Carter has also been impressed with how the team has played during this spurt.

"We're just playing hard," Carter said.

"Regardless of some of the mental letdowns we have during the course of games, we've been able to refocus and get the job done. Everyone's on board, everyone's focused, our bench has been tremendous. Hopefully, everyone continues the same approach till the end."

The streak has also been impressive because of the teams the Nets have defeated along the way. The streak has not been loaded with subpar opponents. It has included wins over teams who have four of the league's five-best records (Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, and Miami).

During the run, the Nets have outscored their opponents, 1,318-1,168, and are averaging 94.1 points per game compared with their opponents' average of 83.4. The Nets are holding opponents to a league-best 25.7 percent 3-point shooting during the streak. The Nets held the Pistons to 34.1 percent shooting from the field. The Suns, the league leader in scoring average, were held to 72 total points.

"We pride ourselves in being a defensive team," Carter said. "We want to force teams to take bad shots. Our success has been because of our defense and we want to get the ball out for as many easy baskets as possible."

Z update:

Center Zydrunas Ilgauskas participated in light strength and conditioning and rehab activities on Friday for his left ankle sprain suffered in the first quarter against Philadelphia on Tuesday. He is listed as doubtful for today's game.

Impressed:

The Cavs' winning streak ended Wednesday, but they still have won nine of their past 10 games. "They're playing at an extremely high level," said Nets coach Lawrence Frank. "They're really coming together as a group. They got Larry [Hughes] back. Flip Murray's been great and LeBron [James] has been unbelievable. They're doing a great job."

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ok, so Z is doubtful...I would rather have him rest for another 2-3 days. We still matchup "ok" without Z. Krstic can be handled by a AV/Gooden combo.

The big thing is gonna be contain Carter, and ESPECIALLY not having RJ go off on us. Lebron has to do a good job containing him, and Larry must hold Carter to reasonable production. Maybe pull off a "Newble"? LOL!

This is a game where I'd start Larry, not Flip. Eric Snow can do a great job on Kidd, since he isn't exactly the quickest PG in the league (anymore, though he never really was). His strenght is matched by Snow's IMO, so that's a pretty even matchup we shouldn't worry too much about.

But if they put the ball into Carter's hands more, Larry has to deny him as much as possible, and Lebron has to stay in front of RJ.

On offense:

-DO NOT attempt to win by the 3, because NJ has very good perimeter defenders, and it's not likely that Marshall will all the sudden go off on them.

I would leave Lebron, and DJ shoot those today. But the key is to pound, pound and pound inside, force some fouls let NJ get into foul trouble. I think Gooden and AV can have big games inside, but Lebron has to do that as well. RJ is long and lean and the best way to score on him in to go inside, get some layups/dunks/and ones, and hopefully frustrate him and draw fouls.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.