Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

· Registered
502 Posts
LBJthefuturegoat said:
No thanks I hope you guys lose tonight so we have a chance of catching you guys...

I can't agree. If the Heat beats Washington tonight, I think that wraps up the #4 spot for us. We need a Heat Victory. I know we can still wrap it up ourselves by winning another game, but we might as well get it over with tonight

· Registered
1,579 Posts
LOYALTY said:
I can't agree. If the Heat beats Washington tonight, I think that wraps up the #4 spot for us. We need a Heat Victory. I know we can still wrap it up ourselves by winning another game, but we might as well get it over with tonight
If we can't win one more game this year we don't deserve the 4th spot I say we go for the 2nd best record in the East so if we happen to get past Detriot we'll have home court.

· 15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
LBJthefuturegoat said:
If we can't win one more game this year we don't deserve the 4th spot I say we go for the 2nd best record in the East so if we happen to get past Detriot we'll have home court.
great idea....

you can't get the 2nd or 3rd seed, so you're locked into the 4th pretty much

winning (homecourt) in the 1st round places you in the 2nd round with Detroit. they have #1 locked up, and homecourt with it.

say you win out and pass miami & NJ, you'd have to beat detroit for your theory to have any meaning whatsoever.....

Just listen to the rest of the reasonable fans, hope for Miami to win tonight and you got the #4 locked up....

· Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
No I'm with stupid. I want to catch Miami for second best record. It'd be a nice feather in the cap. And it would mean the team was going into the playoffs on a hot streak. Probably seal the deal on Lebron's MVP. And give the team the confidence to set the goal of a title. Shoot for the stars.

2,289 Posts
futuristxen said:
No I'm with stupid. I want to catch Miami for second best record. It'd be a nice feather in the cap. And it would mean the team was going into the playoffs on a hot streak. Probably seal the deal on Lebron's MVP. And give the team the confidence to set the goal of a title. Shoot for the stars.
I disagree. Also it could happen that Washington could fall too the 6th and the Bucks ( a team id really want to see in the playoffs) would finish 5th. We cant start thinking about homecourt in the ECF when we still havent got passed the first round, or even the Pistons.

This locks it up hopefully resting Z and LBJ down the stretch, maybe the Wiz will start to crumble i just think with Daniels and Butler playing really well right now, not even including Arenas this team is scary than what we are giving them credit for. So with about 6 games left if the Bucks can surpass the Wiz then that would be really good in my opinion.

· Maybe Next Year....
10,213 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:
I disagree. Also it could happen that Washington could fall too the 6th and the Bucks ( a team id really want to see in the playoffs) would finish 5th. We cant start thinking about homecourt in the ECF when we still havent got passed the first round, or even the Pistons.

This locks it up hopefully resting Z and LBJ down the stretch, maybe the Wiz will start to crumble i just think with Daniels and Butler playing really well right now, not even including Arenas this team is scary than what we are giving them credit for. So with about 6 games left if the Bucks can surpass the Wiz then that would be really good in my opinion.
I agree. I'm rooting for the Bucks to win and Washington to lose from here on out. We draw Milwaukee it's almost a guarantee we make it to the 2nd round, they just can't matchup with Lebron at all and don't have the wing scorers to make him work so much on defense (no Jamison or Butler).

Also while they have 2 quick PG's, (one being a good scorer) they don't have any one singular star like Arenas who can win a game by himself and will be ultra-motivated to play against Hughes.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Did something happen to Michael Redd? He has been known to light the Cavaliers up at times. He can definitely win a game on his own as well. I think a bit more highly of the Bucks than you do. Yeah, I think we can still beat them, but they don't have as many holes as Washington either.

· 15 STRONG
27,437 Posts
4 games back of Miami, and Miami has 6 games left.....very realistic hopes of catching Miami.....

and Miami's remaining schedule is:
ORL
TOR
PHI
CHI
@ATL
@BOS

good luck...anyone who wants to wager on the Cavs catching the Heat, please contact me ASAP.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:
4 games back of Miami, and Miami has 6 games left.....very realistic hopes of catching Miami.....

ORL
TOR
PHI
CHI
@ATL
@BOS

good luck...anyone who wants to wager on the Cavs catching the Heat, please contact me ASAP.
thats a hard remaining games :D

who cares if we catch them, it doesnt matter

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:

ORL
TOR
PHI
CHI
@ATL
@BOS

Man, after looking at this schedule I halfway expect you guys to play the Globetrotters and at least one high school team. I don't think there was any realistic chance to catch you even if you were playing someone but there's no chance with that schedule.

· Registered
2,117 Posts
Shaq_Diesel said:

ORL
TOR
PHI
CHI
@ATL
@BOS

wow tough schedule...

· Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Beacon Journal | 04/09/2006 | Maturation process takes another step

Maturation process takes another step
Comeback victory, Wizards’ loss clinch homecourt for Cavaliers

By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal sportswriter

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Season appropriate, the Cavaliers are in full bloom.

Their maturation simply continues to surge as they conquer challenge after challenge, the latest and perhaps greatest high point coming Saturday. Staring down a fierce opponent riding the longest win streak in the NBA this season, the Cavs delivered yet another command performance.

Coming from 11 points behind, LeBron James led the Cavs on another rally over the super-streaking New Jersey Nets for a 108-102 win.

James scored 18 of his 37 points in the fourth quarter, as the Cavs (46-30) claimed their 10th victory in 11 games and put a stranglehold on the No. 4 playoff spot. With the Washington Wizards' 99-86 loss to the Miami Heat, the Cavs wrapped up the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference for homecourt advantage.

The Cavs halted the Nets' (46-29) 14-game winning streak, their nine-game home winning streak, and the Cavs' eight-game losing streak at Continental Airlines Arena. They did it without center Zydrunas Ilgauskas (ankle) and washed the taste of a disappointing last-moment loss to the New York Knicks out of their craniums.

No wonder the players and coaches were hailing it as the finest win of the season.

“Our team has shown grit all year. It is a good thing to do that on the road against a good team,'' Cavs coach Mike Brown said. “This has to be one of our biggest wins if not our biggest win.''

After scoring 37 points in the fourth quarter in their narrow loss to the Knicks on Wednesday, the Cavs put up 36 in the final quarter Saturday afternoon against a team that had been thriving on defense. While James was the ring leader, nearly the entire roster shared in the glory.

Five different Cavs scored in double figures, and seven different players scored in the fourth quarter as the team shot 61 percent down the stretch. But the game ended up turning on key defensive plays.

Nets star Vince Carter, who had 33 points, had been victimizing the Cavs on high-and-rolls, prompting Brown to call for a change in the defensive strategy. So when Carter got a pick to get by Eric Snow with 50 seconds to play and the Nets up three, Anderson Varejao “blitzed'' the pick, stepping up. It slowed Carter, and Snow recovered to poke the ball away from him from behind.

The ball bounced to James, who proceeded to make one of the biggest highlight plays of the season on a resulting fast break. The Nets' Cliff Robinson fouled James, and teammate Jason Kidd planted his palm on the ball and pushed down.

“I knew I was going to get fouled once I turned on the speed burst,'' James said. “I was just getting hit all over.''

James broke Robinson's hit and Kidd's grip as he was falling and tossed the ball off the glass for a basket. James sunk the free-throw for a three-point play that tied the score.

“It was an MVP play and performance on his part,'' Kidd said.

“He was like a linebacker let loose,'' Brown said.

Moments later, Carter tried to answer with a jumper but missed, the first of three missed jumpers in the final minute, and Varejao was in position for the rebound when he and Nenad Kristic bumped.

Kristic was called for a foul, which was questionable, but the Cavs figured to have karma on their side after losing a game to the Nets earlier this season on a “backdown violation.''

Varejao, a 49 percent free-throw shooter, then cooly made both free throws to give the Cavs the lead for good. Starting in place of Ilgauskas, Varejao had 11 points and five rebounds.

Drew Gooden delivered 16 points and nine rebounds, Flip Murray had 15 points on 7-of-9 shooting, Larry Hughes played his best game since coming back from injury with 15 points and seven rebounds, and Donyell Marshall had seven points and five rebounds off the bench.

“I knew it was going to be a great game,'' James said. “We're one of the hottest teams in the league also.''

· Registered
7,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Cavs roar, soar over Nets

LeBron James drives to the basket as he is guarded by New Jersey Nets’ Jason Kidd during fourth quarter action. James led all scorers with 37 points, as the Cavs broke the Nets’ 14-game winning streak, 102.

CAVS CLINCH FIRST-ROUND HOME-COURT ADVANTAGE
Cavs roar, soar over Nets

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

East Rutherford, N.J. - The Cavaliers have played quality bas ketball over the past few weeks, but none of those wins has come against a high-caliber opponent on the road.

Until now.

The Cavaliers came out on top three days after coming up short against the lowly New York Knicks with an impressive 108-102 victory over the streaking New Jersey Nets on Saturday afternoon at Continental Airlines Arena. With the Washington Wizards' 99-86 loss to the Miami Heat on Saturday night, the Cavaliers clinched home-court advantage for the first round of the playoffs.

LeBron James scored 18 of his 37 points during the pivotal fourth quarter. It was James' ninth straight game of 35 or more points, the third-longest streak in the NBA since 1970. Only Michael Jordan, with 10 straight in 1986, and Kobe Bryant, with 13 in a row in 2003, have posted better runs in that span.

The Cavs outscored New Jersey, 36-24, in the final quarter, snapping the Nets' 14-game winning streak. The Nets were trying to become the first team since the Los Angeles Lakers in 1999-2000 to win at least 15 games in a row. The Lakers won 19 from Feb. 4 through March 13, 2000.

The Cavs (46-30) have won 10 of their past 11, but this was the most impressive. This was the Cavs' first road victory over a quality opponent. They earned their 17th road win and it came against the hottest team in the league.

"This has to be one of our biggest [road] wins if not our biggest win," said Cavs coach Mike Brown. "Especially in being down double figures, getting a little flustered with the crowd and with the refs and we didn't lose our composure. We stayed with it and stayed with it until we broke through."

The win was so emotional that many of the Cavs players could be heard on the other side of the locker-room door. It was a festive atmosphere.

"This is close to being the biggest win of the season," said guard Eric Snow.

"They had a streak, they were playing well and we hadn't beaten them here since [April 13, 2001]. It was a quality win."

The game had all the makings for another road loss for the Cavs. James came into the fourth quarter after scoring a combined seven points in the second and third quarters. The Cavs trailed by 11 points in the third and trailed by eight with eight minutes left.

The Nets (46-29) led by five following a Carter layup with 1:15 left. But the Cavs would not fold. After Drew Gooden knocked down consecutive free throws, Snow provided the play of the game. Carter went to the hole and just when he was about to make his move, Snow knocked the ball away.

"We had changed the way we were playing the pick-and-roll," Snow said. "I just kept pursuing. When he came off, [Anderson Varejao] did his job and I didn't give up on the play. I just tried to flick the ball away to LeBron."

Snow indeed got a hand on the ball and knocked it toward James, who picked up the loose ball, sprinted toward the goal, and as he went in for the layup he was fouled. But James kept going and as Jason Kidd go his hand on the ball, James still managed to score the bucket. His free throw tied the score with 50 seconds left.

"That was a heck of a shot," Kidd said. "He's strong. It was an MVP play and performance on his part. It was just a great play."

James had one thing in mind while driving to the basket.

"I knew I was I was going to get fouled," James said. "Once I went around Cliff [Robinson] and put on the speed burners, I knew I was going to get hit. I just wanted to get the ball up around the rim and I was able to do that."

Following Carter's miss, Varejao was fouled and he snapped the tie behind consecutive free throws. Varejao, a 49 percent free-throw shooter this season, made 5 of 7 Saturday. Carter, who finished with 33 points, had a chance to tie but he split two free throws. James closed the game when he hit three of four free throws for a four-point lead with 15 seconds left.

"We really had a hard time keeping him out of the paint," said Nets coach Lawrence Frank, about James. "When he got in the paint, he was relentless. That's why he is a great player."

161 - 174 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.