Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

VS

Washington Wizards (5-1) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (5-2)

STARTERS

BENCH

TIME: 4:00 pm PT, 7:00 pm ET
TV: FSOhio, NBALP
Radio: WTAM 1100

Cleveland won against the Magic in Orlando but lost a big lead and has many things to learn from the game. On the bright side, it could be argued once Cleveland lost big leads in seasons past, they went on the lose the game, having little or no chance of embarking on a second run to reclaim momentum. The Wizards are coming off a very big win against the Spurs that saw Arenas go beserk. The Cavaliers have always had trouble with explosive, athletic, shifty guards and Arenas is of that mold. This game should be a high scoring affair filled with basket trading, fastbreaks and solid offense. The game should come down to defense and foul shooting.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
This is turning into one of the biggest matches of the early season. The Wizards already trounced the Spurs and are looking legit. Hoping for a great game.

A win here, plus the win against Memphis, should show we a are legitimate playoff calibre team and not just a contender to get a playoff spot. There is a a big difference between the two

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
I agree, this is a big time game. I like our chances since it's at home but we will have to establish our inside game early and avoid getting into an up and down game.

My only concern is this nagging feeling Arenas is gonna eat us alive. He is so much quicker than both our PG's and can get in those streaks where he just doesn't miss from deep. I think we might have to put Larry on him and avoid giving him a parade to the free throw line when he penetrates.

Lebron needs to bring his A game also, no more messing around, I want see him in triple double form from the opening tip.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Hughes will likely guard Arenas. As long as we avoid putting him on the line I think we can keep him relatively in check.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Agree with B_B that Lebron needs to show up just to prove some of the doubters wrong. He's actually having an outstanding season as the primary scorer on the team but people seem to want him to be a triple double magnet even if that's not what the team currently needs

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
It will always be something with Lebron.

He puts up amazing stats, the critics say stats mean nothing and complain about him not winning enough. He puts up wins, all the sudden his numbers aren't high enough and stats are a big deal. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
CLEVELAND - For Larry Hughes, this time is for keeps.

Technically, the Cavaliers' standout swingman already has had the maiden voyage against his old mates, the Washington Wizards, a month ago in the preseason opener in D.C.

The game tonight with the red-hot Wizards at Quicken Loans Arena is the real deal, though, and Hughes knows it. Especially his battle with All-Star and friend Gilbert Arenas.

The Wizards are off to a 5-1 start. The Cavs are 5-2 and sitting on a tidy four-game winning streak. That makes tonight quite a meaningful November test, especially for Hughes.

He'll ask coach Mike Brown to be assigned to guard Arenas, who just might be the hottest player in the NBA right now.

``I will ask for him and guard him,'' said Hughes, who is coming off his best game of the season against the Orlando Magic, scoring 22 points with nine rebounds, seven assists and four steals.

``I like that matchup. I know what he can do. It's basically his team, and he's getting all the looks right now.''

In his past two games, Arenas averaged 37.5 points and shot 72 percent (26-of-36) including 8-of-15 on 3-pointers. It earned him Eastern Conference Player of the Week honors.

Arenas met up with Hughes Monday after arriving in town. Tonight, though, it will be all business.

Article Continued:
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/basketball/nba/cleveland_cavaliers/13170693.htm

2,290 Posts
Wow, 72% from the field is unreal. Who is there other starting guard, chucky atkins ? and Caron at the 3. If so, snow would have no problem with Chucky, and Lebron is built like Caron so we win that match up. I think we can bang them inside. Jamison to me seems like a pretty boy and doesnt want to get messed up inside, rather shoot the jumper. I think we can out bang Haywood and Jamison with our big post players and guards. But the kicker is, how many rebounds will Gilbert gets b/c he is a very good rebounding PG

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Game preview from Yahoo (click on pic)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This should be a good game. I hope Hughes can shut down Arenas and that LeBron really steps it up and goes for the kill. I think he needs to attack the hoop and get to the line more. If the Cavs continue their good D then they should be able to pull this one out.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neither team is starting great but the Wizards have 2 baskets early on. Cleveland needs to get into their offense.

The Cavs start 0-9 and call time out trailing 0-8.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snow has both of Cleveland's baskets. The Wizards are not even playing Snow. They are making Snow have to try and beat them offensively (good strategy). Washington has scored almost all their points in the paint.

Gooden scores for Cleveland, which gets a second Cavalier into the game offensively.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snow nails another jumper. Washington will continue to dare Snow to shoot for the duration of the night (unless they make an adjustment). Cleveland is slowly getting into the game bit by bit.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cleveland needs to make sure they don't get outquicked on the offensive glass and protect the rim. Also, they should make an effort to solve the Wizards' defensive scheme. It will take patience to break it down but I see a hole in it (whether the Cavs execute and exploit that is another story).

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Lebron needs to involve himself a little better in this game. He was basically a nonfactor in the first quarter.

Too much point guard/Larry Hughes ball holding action. Zip that ball around and get it inside.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
22-18 Wizards, at the end of the 1st.

Considering the terrible start the Cavs had at the beginning of the quarter, being down by 4 isn't too bad right now. The team made a few mistakes out there on rotations and the poor spacing on the fastbreak killed the attempt to convert on it. But besides that, it's okay. When the team shows patience and works the ball, they're finding higher percentage shots.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The second quarter is seeing a line up of Luke Jackson, Henderson, LeBron James, Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts