Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@

CHICAGO BULLS (6-2) @ TORONTO RAPTORS (7-1)
Game 9, Road Game 5
Thursday, Nov. 13, 2014 – 7:00 PM CT
Air Canada Center
TNT / ESPN 1000 AM

BULLS/RAPTORS STREAKS
BULLS CURRENT STREAK ....... 1 Win
BULLS HOME STREAK ......... 3 Losses
BULLS ROAD STREAK ............. 2 Wins

BULLS VS. RAPTORS THIS SEASON
Nov. 13 @ Toronto –
Dec. 22 @ Chicago –
Mar. 20 @ Chicago –
Mar. 25 @ Chicago –

All-Time-Record
Overall - 38-32
Home - 19-15
Road - 19-17
Neutral 0-0

Game Notes

Chicago Bulls (6-2)
Home 2-2
Road 4-0

Bulls Season Averages:
PPG: 104.0 (Opp: 98.4)
RPG: 42.5 (Opp: 45.4)
APG: 22.6 (Opp: 22.0)
SPG: 5.63 (Opp: 7.50)
BPG: 6.75 (Opp: 4.13)
TO: 13.9 (Opp: 11.8)
FG%: .472 (Opp: .427)
FT%: .398 (Opp: .331)
3p%: .770 (Opp: .768)

Probable Bulls starters

Derrick Rose - PG -
Jimmy Butler - SG -
Mike Dunleavy - SF -
Pau Gasol - PF -
Joakim Noah - C -

Bulls Stats Leaders
Rebounds: Gasol 11.1, Noah 10.7
Assists: Rose 5.8, Brooks 4.4
Steals: Butler 1.50, Rose 1.25
Blocks: Gasol 2.38, Noah 1.50

FG%: Gibson .597, McDermott .516
FT%: Brooks .933, Mirotic .900
3FG%: Brooks .577, Snell .427

Injury report
-

For a full report and the latest on Bulls' injuries, check out the AthletiCo Injury Report.

Toronto Raptors (7-1)
Home 5-0
Road 2-1

Probable Raptors starters

Kyle Lowry - PG
DeMar DeRozan - SG
Terrence Ross - SF
Amir Johnson - PF
Jonas Valanciunas - C

Injury report
?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Hey, Bulls fans have got to watch this game so they can see their old "favorite draft pick", the great James Johnson. The Bulls drafted him in the 2009 NBA draft, 10 picks ahead of Taj Gibson.

Now some Bulls fans could scoff at James Johnson, but he played what could be a key part in the future of the Bulls. Remember that in 2011, the Bulls worked a trade with the Raptors, sending Johson to them for the 1rst round pick they had obtained from the Heat. This pick (Norris Cole) and a 2nd rounder were then traded for the rights to Nikola Mirotic.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Congrats guys, good win. Defeinately showed us Raps fan we are far away from being legit contenders.

Pau is a beast. Sucks about Rose though.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
A combination of Jimmy Butler and Kirk Hinrich held Derozan to 10 points on 3 of 17 shooting. Pau Gasol was dominant for most of the game. Taj played well. Derrick Rose played well... and then... well, let's just not talk about the other stuff.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
dougy, niko and tony are officially in coaches doghouse...

barely sniffing minutes.
While I do support Thibs' approach to focusing #1 (for now) on building chemistry with the starters...and I think he coached a great game against Toronto overall...I do NOT like how he's handling Doug & Nikola. And yes, they were terrible against the Raptors but that isn't my point. Thibs is doing next to nothing to put these guys in position to succeed. I am confident they will get there eventually but for it sucks. For starters, Thibs is using hockey style rotations...he keeps putting Doug & Niko in/out together, rather than subbing one in for a 5-min stretch, then putting the other in. Both of these guys are struggling in part b/c of who they're playing their minutes with. This bench unit of Brooks + Niko + Doug is not blending well...2 rookies who do their best work off the ball playing with a shoot first PG is not good chemistry. I want to see more Rose + Doug, or Noah/Gasol + Mirotic. And then to make it worse, I am not seeing the sets/plays being used to tee up M&M to their best shot selection. For example they keep running Doug off screen curls where the screener's defender jumps out on Doug every time and Doug can't get a clean shot up. It's very predictable. Mirotic keeps getting the ball in iso mode up by the 3-pt line without any screens and isn't getting any looks off the ball or near the basket. Then then guys are pressing to make something happen and they end up short arming their shots or turning the ball over. Then Thibs pulls the leash and they're out of the game. It's an ugly cycle that's been created for them and adjustments need to be made. The solution is not just to sit them on the bench playing 5 minutes per game...we need at least 1 of them to step up as a regular contributor before playoff time arrives.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
My comment above aside...still a really great win. This Raptors team is tough and this was on the road against a riled up crowd. Thibs did the best in-game adjustments I've seen all year from him which got us from a 7-pt deficit in Q2 to an 18-pt lead in early Q4. The ugly finish is forgivable b/c not only Rose having to sit, but you just knew the Raptors would make their run eventually and as I said they're a tough team. We did eventually stop the bleeding thanks to a clutch shot by Jimmy Butler at the 1:30 mark (watch it again, was cold blooded...Jimmy is about to get paid this off-season BTW).

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
We did eventually stop the bleeding thanks to a clutch shot by Jimmy Butler at the 1:30 mark (watch it again, was cold blooded...Jimmy is about to get paid this off-season BTW).
He continues to exceed expectations. Even when I think he's played well I check the box score and he's been even more efficient than I thought. Jimmy seems to have made some serious strides in ability, consistency and confidence on the offensive side. His improved play plus a potentially rising salary cap should mean good things for him in free agency.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
He continues to exceed expectations. Even when I think he's played well I check the box score and he's been even more efficient than I thought. Jimmy seems to have made some serious strides in ability, consistency and confidence on the offensive side. His improved play plus a potentially rising salary cap should mean good things for him in free agency.
I think his efficiency will come down some and a stat line of 15 ppg on 45% shooting is alot more likely. But still, for an all-NBA defender those are tremendous offensive numbers. He is now a legitimate 2-way player. Too bad we couldn't lock him up at $10-12M per season before the deadline, that may look like a good deal compared to what we'll end up having to pay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts