Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
A couple things from tonight - with Traci Carter and freshmen Moses Flowers and PJ Henry, the Hawks move the ball very well. Gallagher will actually have some options off the bench this year - the Hawks had 29 points from the bench. Marks had 19, DJ Mitchell had 13, Romaine Boxus and PJ Henry each had 10. Hawks started 2 freshmen Miroslav Stafl (who had foul trouble all night) and Moses Flowers, sophomore Hunter Marks and Seniors Romaine Boxus and Traci Carter. I think PJ Henry who was a top 5 recruit in the city of Houston will be a fantastic player. Looking forward to getting Malik Ellison who is the Hawk's best player healthy. Sorry to hear that transfer and potential starter Garrett Kingman is gone for the season.
Some comments to add to yours....

Carter....steady player.....didn't shoot well tonight but can create his own space....had only 8 pts but had 5 rbd 5 asst

Flowers...frosh looks like he will be a good one....foul trouble so was on bench a lot. Seemed a little nervous. Excited to see him progress.

PJ Henry...frosh PG...wow....really quick...steady and great handle. Some terrific passes. Probably the best first game from the PG spot I have ever seen from a Hartford player. It's going to be hard to take him out of the lineup.

Ellison...can't wait to see him play....he was in a boot but was a great cheerleader today. Supposedly their best defensive player and an elite rebounder. Probably out another week or two.

Marks...soph 6'9 3 or 4 spot. Still skinny but very productive. Certainly looks like he will be ready to contribute this year. Can shoot the 3 but also drive.

Stafl....."they call me Slavaaaay".....This frosh might be the real deal. Didn't hit his 3's today but was really active down low. He will have some 20+ games this year. Fouled out and was in foul trouble all game. Committed some fouls that he probably shouldn't have. Will need to tone down the aggressive defense to stay in games.

KIngman....Juco forward who was supposed to start looks like he had surgery today.....out for the year.

Boxus....senior was steady today. I think he will lose some minutes when Ellison comes back. Probably ends up spelling Marks and Stafl.

DJ Mitchell....this soph walk-on PG/SG really maximized his time today. 13 pts 4 rbd 3 asst.....plus he put on a dunk clinic prior to the game. For a little guy he gets up there. He is going to end up earning a scholy.

Dunne....this soph walk-on also looks like he will get some rotational minutes. The kid can shoot.

Colovic.....played about 3 minutes spelling Stafl but didn't make any impact.

Sullivan....graduate transfer with 2 years remaining....7'2 player.....didn't see any minutes.

·
Premium Member
32,369 Posts
Good effort by SBU. Yale lost a lot from last season obviously with Oni Declaring for NBA Draft, but still return Bruner, Atkinson, and Swain.

UVM's opponent for Friday St. Bonaventure lost to Ohio University and old(ish) friend Jeff Boals, 65-53.

·
The People's Champ
600 Posts
Hartford is going to surprise a lot of teams this year. Going to pump the breaks some because it was CCSU. BUT, no one knew what to expect for the first game. PJ Henry is legit. Can't wait to see how this team gels when they are all healthy

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
SBU kind of what I thought they were last night. Athletic, long, lots of effort but not a good shooting team. 21-68 from the field ain't ever gonna cut it.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
SBU kind of what I thought they were last night. Athletic, long, lots of effort but not a good shooting team. 21-68 from the field ain't ever gonna cut it.
That's what stuck out to me...effort is very good, long and athletic but shooting will need to get better.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I really like having the ESPN replays. I watched SBU last night and UML this afternoon and agree 100% with the common sentiment here that SBU needs to shoot better, but are otherwise excellent.

UML ran into a UMASS buzzsaw. They played very tight defense, pressing and trapping. UML didn't fold-up but they had a lot of difficulty running their plays. Gantz, Noel and Lutete stood out.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,175 Posts
UML looked like they missed Rivera. Pretty much the same team as last year. Point guard is an area of weakness. At least last night, they looked weaker from the 3 pt line. That may prove to be a problem since they still lack much size.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
UML does have Henderson who is 6'9" 225, and Gantz has some size, but they are a lbit small. Overall I thought UML played well. I still have them grouped with UA and SBU.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts