Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<center><font color=#004B68>Washington</font> <font color=#C0753C>Wizards</font> (13-31)
vs.
<font color=#48286C>Phoenix</font> <font color=#FFBC1E>Suns</font> (17-30)

7:00 PM on CSN

Key Matchup: SG
vs.

Matchup to Watch: PG
vs.
</center>
<hr><center>
<font color=#004B68>W</font><font color=#C0753C>A</font><font color=#004B68>S</font> 105-100 <font color=#48286C>P</font><font color=#FFBC1E>H</font><font color=#48286C>O</font>

Player of the Game

23 points (8-18 FG, 4-9 3P, 3-6 FT), 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 38 minutes

ESPN Box Score

Next Game
12:00 PM on WB
vs. <font color=#A81E38>Cleveland</font> <font color=#997A4F>Cavaliers</font> (17-28)</center>

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what you call "a game only a fan could love." With Stoudemire out because of an ankle sprain, the only name player on the Suns is Marion -- and the Wizards pretty much only have Hughes, if you call him a name player. This'd be a nice game to win, since it's against a beatable team, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I am gonna be at the game tonight, I hope to take pics and load them on here.
I am really going to be watching Hayes match up with Matrix.
I also want to see Brevin Knight and his ghost defense.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jumped out to a nice 13-5 lead 5 minutes into the game. We're playing pretty tough defense, and getting a lot of inside buckets (Etan).

It's now up to 22-10 with 4:10 left, Kwame has 9 points and seven free throw attempts. He's gotten two fouls on Marion and is just playing amazing inside.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
29-18 at the end of one, and we looked pretty good out there. We played excellent ball on the inside, specifically Kwame (9 points on 2-3 FG, 5-7 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 steals) and Etan (5 points, 6 rebounds). We outrebounded them 15-9 in the quarter.

Hughes was 2-5 from the field for 5 points, but he did a good job taking what I thought they were smart shots. Knight complimented him in the backcourt with 6 points (2-3 FG, 2-2 FT) and 4 assists.

Suns had a 9 TOs in the first, which was a combination of good defense by us and sloppy offense by them. We need to keep up the pressure.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our defense slipped just a little, the Suns play on both side of the court picked up sharply, and they cut an 11 point lead after the first to 4 at halftime, with the score at 47-43.

Kwame continued his solid play, finishing the half with 15 points for the second straight game (5-6 FG, 5-7 FT), 5 rebounds, 2 steals and an assist. He has been playing more aggressive than I think I've ever seen him, especially on the boards. He may not have gotten all of them, but he's really hustling after each one.

Other players with a nice first half include Knight (9 points on 3-6 FG, 5 assists) and Hughes (8 points on 3-7 FG, 2-3 3P, 3 rebounds/assists/steals). Hughes has looked for Kwame quite often in this game, including hooking up with him twice with nice dishes near the end of the second quarter; maybe he is starting to have some confidence in his big man?

We've outboarded them 32-21 and have 6 more points off of TOs (13-7) despite having 2 more total TOs (12-10) than them. Phoenix did a solid job hanging on to the ball in the second, with only 1 TO after 9 in the first.

Good job all around getting to the free throw line; however, we are missing way too many. We managed to get 21 FTAs in the first half, but only sunk 13 of them (62%).

This looks like a completely winnable game for us, and I hope we pull it out. Kwame needs to keep up his fierce play in the second half, and our backcourt needs to continue to play a smart game.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Halfway into the third, and it's just like the first quarter all over again -- with the roles reversed. Phoenix is on a 21-5 run to jump up by 10 at 64-54. Not good at all wiz :nonono:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3rd was an awful quarter for us, as Phoenix is now up 76-69 going into the 4th. With the way we played, we're lucky to not be down double that.

Kwame went to the bench early in the quarter and didn't get back in. He wasn't in foul trouble and I didn't see an injury, so I'm not quite sure what happened. He only managed 3 points and 1 rebound in his 4 or so minutes. Hughes didn't do much either in his time, going 1-4 from the field.

I don't think we'll hear much on Dixon stealing Hughes' starting job after this one; he's just 1-7 from the field for 3 points. Blake isn't having much of a game off the bench either, with 5 points on 1-3 FG with no assists.

Jeffries and Hayes played pretty decent quarters, but that's about it. We need to step up big time to get out of this funk and try to go for the win.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're on one heck of a run to close the gap. 13-0 run over the middle minutes of the 4th to tie the game at 86. Back to back Hughes and Blake threes force a Phoenix timeout. We started off the quarter kind of shaky, but things are going as well as they possibly could right now.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're absolutely tearing the house down to end the game. We're scoring on every posession, including quite a few three pointers. Phoenix isn't doing any particularly wrong on either side of the court, we're just playing phenominal. In the last 7 minues, we've scored 27 points.

98-92 with 47 seconds left, we're up.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a wild game. We go from up 14 to down 15 to winning by 5, 105-100. Great overall games from both Hughes and Kwame, and excellent 4th quarters from Blake, Dixon, and Haywood.

34-14 run by us over the last 8 minues of the game!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
no wonder you have 6020 posts, MJG. :sour:

but really, we had a good 1st half. then the 3rd quarter was 99% suns and then we had a good 4th quarter run. wasn't a very good game stat-wise but it was exciting. nice 3's at end by blake. and i hate to say it but haywood actually did do something useful to catch my eye.

what i didn't like was christian laettner never playing. what is that? ;x

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>shonin</b>!
no wonder you have 6020 posts, MJG. :sour:
What's wrong with quarterly updates? Not my fault that no one else was on to post in between my posts. The Wiz fans on this site that can't watch the games (I only know of two, but there may be more) appreciate it.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>shonin</b>!
never said it was a bad thing, but they do have a updater on www.washingtonwizards.com :rolleyes:
The :sour: face seems to indicate that you didn't care for it, as does the :rolleyes: face. Sorry if you don't like it, but I do it for pretty much every game I get to see live.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts