Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<center><font color=#004B68>Washington</font> <font color=#C0753C>Wizards</font> (14-32)
vs.
<font color=#00989D>Memphis</font> <font color=red>Grizzlies</font> (25-21)

7:00 PM on NC8
Memphis leads season series 1-0

Key Matchup: PF
vs.

Matchup to Watch: SG
vs.
</center>
<hr><center>
<font color=#004B68>W</font><font color=#C0753C>A</font><font color=#004B68>S</font> 101-103 <font color=#00989D>M</font><font color=red>E</font><font color=#00989D>M</font>

Player of the Game

27 points (8-13 FG, 11-11 FT), 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 40 minutes

ESPN Box Score

Next Game
7:00 PM on CSN
vs. <font color=red>LA</font> <font color=blue>Clippers</font> (22-25)</center>

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>twinz2gether</b>!
Is Kwames Broken nose going to effect his play?
Probably not, maybe his breathing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i'm looking forward to this game ... haven't been able to watch the Wiz in a while but i'm going to catch this game ... to see how Stack is doing ... Stack is going to take some time to get back his "game" legs ... but maybe w/ him back out there ... the wiz might get a few more calls ... I'm not sure how Kwame is going to react after being elbowed in the face by Braggs. I'm hoping he can come out and play w/ the consistency of the past month ... I don't really see that much hope for a playoff run but I want to see the young guys get more experience especially against an up in coming team like Memphis ... I'll call this game a pick'em b/c you never know what you get from the Wiz @ home ... sometimes they come out w/ intensity and beat teams that should handle them ... other times they come out flat ... I'm hoping for an entertaining and competitive game ... GO WIZ!!! :)

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
How the hell did he get all those people in the Laettner fan club? I don't remember joining that
:laugh:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Air McNair 09</b>!
How the hell did he get all those people in the Laettner fan club? I don't remember joining that
:laugh:
Yeah I didn't either. The only Christian Laettner fan club I want to be in is "The official I am glad Christian Laettner is not on my fav team"

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>havoc</b>!
argh, why does this game have to be on nc8? those of us with dtv are screwed.
I had this wrong up there, thanks. I don't get any NC8 <i>or</i> WB games down here, so I don't want to hear your whining ;) I usually catch the CSN replay, depending on what I have to do the next day, but staying up until 3-4:00 in the morning probably isn't an option for non-collegiates.

·
Registered
775 Posts
ARENAS IS BACK!
STACK IS BACK!
HUGHES IS THERE!

BABY LET'S PLAY!

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Arenas must be a bit rusty. 4 pts on 1-7 FG's so far...:sour:

Looks like Knight is gonna get snubbed for minutes now that he's back.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Blame the loss on Blake and Dixon..even Steve Buchantz said it

·
Registered
996 Posts
Reason for loss is our bench

EJ was trying to give the starters a rest, but our usaully confident bench players couldn't play offense or defense, so we lost.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of things to say about this one, but it's really late, so I'll just leave a few thoughts.

First, I'm placing the blame for the loss squarely on Eddie Jordan. I have been pretty iffy on him all year, but the lineup he put out there to open the 4th just was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen him make. Simply put, I don't think there is any excuse at all to have Arenas, Stackhouse, Hughes, <i>and</i> Kwame all on the bench at once ever, let alone for any sort of extended period of time. Did he think Memphis was just going to give up and die? When he called a timeout two minutes in, I was thinking "Thank the lord, he's come to his senses" -- but when we returned from break, no changes were made! He let them go on what, a 16-0 run over the first 4:30 of the quarter before putting our top four players back in? There should always be at least one of them in the game, and I don't like the idea of going more than a few minutes with just that one. The only possible positive here is that it taught him a lesson and he won't try that again.

Hughes stops being the initiator on offense, and look at what he does. Sure, this game is certainly going to be better than ordinary, but this shows how much better he is when he's playing off of someone else. We didn't just get Arenas and Stackhouse back, we got a better version of Hughes along with them.

How about Haywood? Not too many "he's a useless lump, trade him" calls after this game I'm guessing :D Seriously though, it's games like this that make me wonder why people are so down on him. Clearly this was an above average performance, but who's to say he's not capable of this every night in a year or two? We're talking about a legit 7 footer who's only in his third year in the league and who is clearly improving at a pretty rapid rate in my opinion. Compare him now to years past, or even just the opening of this season. Maybe I'm seeing something others don't, but considering the state of the center position in the NBA, I think we should hang on to the guy and start giving him some consistent minutes -- we're not a playoff team this year anyways, what's the harm?

I was pleasently surprised to see Kwame still get a solid 11 shots with both gunners returning to the lineup. Though the team didn't look much for him early, he really did his part when they started posting him up in the second half. Good inside play is going to be key to helping our other big three, all perimeter guys, succeed.

A bit more than I planned on posting this late, but this was a really big game for us. Despite the loss, we looked superb for three quarters (and pretty darn decent the second half of the 4th) -- I'm really anxious and curious to see what our fully healthy group will be capable of over the last few months of the season.

·
Registered
996 Posts
i'm going to have to disagree with you MJG. He was trying to give the starters a rest. Our bench is usaully very good, and we had a 13 point lead. But what happened is for the 3 minutes they were in the game the bench was absolutely terrible, and let memphis get on a huge run. It was unacceptable by the bench. It's not EJ's fault that the bench played terrible, it's the benches fault, our starters were the only point scorers. All the bench did was turn it over and suck really badly.

It was the benches fault.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The first two minutes of the quarter, I think the blame could be shared right down the middle between the lackluster play of the bench and the coach for putting that lineup in when he should have been looking for the kill, not looking to coast along. As soon as he called a timeout and made no adjustment, I switched the blame completely over to the coach.

I still have the belief that there is no reason for us to have all four of those guys on the bench at once ever, let alone for 4+ minutes of the 4th quarter when a double digit lead is vanishing very quickly. I see too many games lost around the NBA because a coach feels the need to rest their starters at the beginning of the 4th, and it kills them. If a player is already going to play 40 minutes, and extra 2-3 isn't going to be too tough for them.

There's no way of proving this obviously, but I think if he had played all four from the start of the quarter, we maintain a 6-9 point lead (Memphis was red hot, I'll admit, they'd still cut it down a bit against our top guys) over the stretch where they lost all of the lead to become a 3-4 point deficit. Once they cool off, we could either maintain that 6-9+ point lead to the win, or we go on a bit of a run to bump it to 12+ -- then our starters get to rest at the close of a quarter with a victory, rather than at the start of a quarter with a loss.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I didn't like the shift change in the third quarter/4th quarter either. Just didn't add up. He provided spot work in the 2nd quarter not wholesale changes that he did in the second half.

On the positive side it certainly was good to see the whole team out there. EJ needs to figure out his changes with this new line-up. JJ was awful I thought.

I see less minutes for Juan and JJ. More minutes for Kwamea and Haywood as EJ solidified his line-up for the second time.

I'm hoping Jarvis and Stevie really step up more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts